Author Topic: Tapatalk enabling FT?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Adrian G.

• Full-Time Aperture Laboratories Test Subject
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 5
    • DeviantArt - saxlover98
    • FurAffinity - saxlover98
    • Twitter - @adrianthehusky
    • My Personal Website
  • Fursona Species: Husky
Tapatalk enabling FT?
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:57:50 pm »
I know there's been talk about making a mobile app for the forum for mobile users, and someone (Natasha I think) said about using Tapatalk on the new site. If you don't know what it is look here: http://www.tapatalk.com/. It's the perfect app for those of us who have phones/tablets, and it works on Windows Phone, Windows 8, Android & iOS. It shouldn't take much to enable it for the site since there's a plugin for SMF (http://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=smf), and you just have to list it with Tapatalk so people can find it. On the upside, more people might find the site this way too! Would this be possible for us to do?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:13:56 pm by Adrian G. »
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Avatar drawn by @AvantoFolf on Twitter
The FT Steam Group:

My Profile:

Offline Faithfull

• Always give %100
  • Candies: 328
  • Unless your giving blood. Save some for me, geeze.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
Re: Tapatalk enabling FT?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:05:37 pm »
Would it cost money? If not I like the idea.
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon 1/2 by Serana, 1/2 myself
⥿

Offline Adrian G.

• Orange Level
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:08:40 pm »
Would it cost money? If not I like the idea.
Nope, the app is absolutely free. :lol-fox:
The FT Steam Group:

My Profile:

Offline Faithfull

• Always give %100
  • Candies: 328
  • Unless your giving blood. Save some for me, geeze.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:10:54 pm »
I meant adding FT to the app, would that cost the site money?
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon 1/2 by Serana, 1/2 myself
⥿

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 09:11:31 pm »
I know there's been talk about making a mobile app for the forum for mobile users, and someone (Natasha I think) said about using Tapatalk on the new site. If you don't know what it is look here: http://www.tapatalk.com/. It's the perfect app for those of us who have phones/tablets, and it works on Android & iOS. It shouldn't take much to enable it for the site since there's a plugin for SMF (http://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=smf), and you just have to list it with Tapatalk so people can find it. On the upside, more people might find the site this way too! Would this be possible for us to do?

I'm pretty sure that natasha is the only person who has access to the servers, and she hasn't been online for a while (according to her twitter, she was away at a camp or something and she got back recently?... great this seems like i stalk people to creepy lengths, im just looking at her twitter feed attached to her account...) so we wont know until our lord and savior she comes back online.
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Adrian G.

• Orange Level
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 09:39:51 pm »
Completely free. This is from the FAQ page:

Q: How much does it cost?
A: There is no cost for forum owner to activate Tapatalk in your forum, and you are free to remove/deactivate it anytime you want to. We also have a Branded Program starting at just $69/month
I'm pretty sure that natasha is the only person who has access to the servers, and she hasn't been online for a while (according to her twitter, she was away at a camp or something and she got back recently?... great this seems like i stalk people to creepy lengths, im just looking at her twitter feed attached to her account...) so we wont know until our lord and savior she comes back online.
I not sure Natasha will be doing anything if for two reasons based on what I have seen around the forums:
1. Natasha is listed as a Member, not an Administrator
2. What she said in her thread where people could ask her questions:
This will be my last post in this thread, and probably my last public post on the forum.  While I will continue to provide financial backing and technical support/development here, I will no longer be participating in forum discussions or leadership, for personal reasons.
Plus, we only need someone who's listed as an Administrator to add it due to SMF having a plugin installation thing that doesn't require direct access to the server. Sorry if Natasha still is active and and still an admin, but that's what I've been seeing around the forum.

EDIT: I merged a double post I made.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:46:09 pm by Adrian G. »
The FT Steam Group:

My Profile:

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 579
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 09:50:54 pm »
Yeah, Natasha is on vacation right now but I'll let her know when she gets back, it seems do-able. Thanks for the info x)

Edit: Natasha still helps with technical stuff  :lol-fox: Gage and I know a lot, but I would never do something like this without her knowing/helping
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:55:33 pm by Panda »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - androsexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Adrian G.

• Orange Level
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 11:29:14 pm »
Yay, I'm glad that it's possible! And I wasn't sure how Natasha was handling things here.
The FT Steam Group:

My Profile:

Offline Adrian G.

• Orange Level
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 06:48:31 pm »
On a whim I searched on Tapatalk for furry. I'm guessing this is you guys setting up Tapatalk integration?

Clicking on the forum to connect brings up that thing at the bottom of the screen shot. (And it's not my internet connection. The wifi icon doesn't update to show full connectivity for a few minutes after unlocking. Bug with the custom Kindle version I'm running)

Out of curiosity, when did you add the forum to the Tapatalk directory? The amount of time since it was added could be the cause since it takes a little bit for Tapatalk's directory to update.

EDIT: Or is me just thinking wrong and that you haven't enabled it yet for public use :fox-:P:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:34:50 am by Adrian G. »
The FT Steam Group:

My Profile:

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 579
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:10:39 pm »
That's actually from a couple years ago when we were first testing out Tapatalk integration. We abandoned the idea because Tapatalk places ads while you're browsing, something that FT is against; and they use pretty shady advertising/moneymaking tactics that make privacy a concern.

Its not something we can encourage the members to use in good conscience. However, we realize that there's not really any alternatives, so we'd be willing to install it if there's enough demand.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - androsexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Adrian G.

• Orange Level
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 02:02:29 pm »
That's actually from a couple years ago when we were first testing out Tapatalk integration. We abandoned the idea because Tapatalk places ads while you're browsing, something that FT is against; and they use pretty shady advertising/moneymaking tactics that make privacy a concern.

Its not something we can encourage the members to use in good conscience. However, we realize that there's not really any alternatives, so we'd be willing to install it if there's enough demand.
Ah, I see. As for ads on Tapatalk, I haven't seen any in the past year or so I've been using it. They actually just consolidated to having the free and paid versions (the paid being the tablet version). I haven't seen ads on there, so I don't think they're doing that anymore.
The FT Steam Group:

My Profile:

Offline Aimee

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
    • Twitter - aimeec110
    • My website
  • Fursona Species: Husky Puppy Girl
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 08:01:02 am »
Adrian, I hadn't seen your post when I made my topic a few weeks back but this answer from Natasha may be of use reading;

Is it available on Tapatalk or another Android application?

No, sorry.  We looked into Tapatalk, a while back, but the company has changed considerably since then, and it's no longer a system we're comfortable using.  They always pushed a large assortment of rather sketchy monetization schemes, but since the app went free, this has gotten far worse, and many of their newer privacy-invading features are impossible to disable.  To protect the privacy of our members, we can no longer encourage the use of Tapatalk, and we will not be partnering with them.

Hope this answers your question :)
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Aimee