Author Topic: 'Blue is the Warmest Color' *Warning: contains spoilers*  (Read 450 times)

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
'Blue is the Warmest Color' *Warning: contains spoilers*
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:49:18 pm »
I saw this movie on Empty Closets and decided to check it out, because it's an LGBTQ+ themed movie. Here's a synopsis
Adele, a high school girl, finds herself falling hard for the charismatic, punkish, blue-haired Emma; a lesbian girl who shares the same feelings for Adele. Blue is the Warmest Color is a story of teenage romance, heartbreak, and devotion between two young women.
It wasn't bad, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. For one thing, I could not find an English version anywhere; everything I could find was in French with English subtitles, so it lost a bit there because I had to read everything, rather than actually understanding the dialogue. But other than that, there were a few other things I didn't like about it. Firstly, in the graphic novel that the movie is based off of, the main character (Adele in the movie) is named Clementine, not Adele. For another, (spoiler alert!) Clem/Adele is dead at the start of the novel, and Emma is returning to Clem's house to get some diaries which were left to her. In the movie, nobody dies, and the diaries are all but irrelevant to the plot of the story. So when I read the sample of the GN, I was expecting a really sad ending to the movie in which Adele is dead, but that's not what happened. Instead, the two broke up after Adele slept with a guy and the movie ends up with Adele walking down the street. I don't know how the GN ended because I haven't read the whole thing yet (still waiting on it from the library), but I think they changed too much for my likings. Also, when I started watching it, I didn't realize it was rated NC-17. I quickly figured that out after watching for a while. The sex scenes were pretty unnecessary, in my opinion. The movie would have been just as okay without them, and they definitely did not need to be ten minutes long.

I guess I would rate it about a 6 or 7 out of 10. It was an okay movie, but it didn't agree with the little bit of the novel I read, and it wasn't quite what I was expecting.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

Offline Dragon's Daughter

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 22
  • OI! YES, I'M BARKIN' AT YOU, YOU NINNY!
    • DeviantArt - periwinklelioness
    • FurAffinity - periwinklelioness
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
Re: 'Blue is the Warmest Color' *Warning: contains spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:42:29 pm »
I saw the title to your post but I dont want to read the review in case of spoilers X3 Ive only watched a little bit of it on Netflix. It looks really sweet.
I'm really not the type to squeal at boys ... Or gather up my skirts...