Author Topic: Just a idea  (Read 4416 times)

Offline Marius

• FT's Otter
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 57
    • FurAffinity - ~marius
  • Fursona Species: Otter
Just a idea
« on: June 07, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »
Okay so it's apparent people want FT radio back up but there's a lot of problems and complications such as timezones, if the host is ill etc. so here's a little idea why not have a FT Podcast? Think about it, it doesn't have to be always on and all the people involved in it will need to do is talk for a hour or two about stuff.

As much as I'd love to set this up my current PC is rubbish so I guess I'll need to see about this at another time but that's not to say I'd love to hear ideas and suggestions.

So far I have a very basic idea of what people could talk about and who would come on, I guess I just need ideas for a name and what the hosts would talk about.

Now I won't say there will always be the same host but so far FT has about 30-40 very active members so I may get to a point where you'd see repeated people. I wish there was that 341 people on this site everyday.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:06:37 pm by Marius »
That guy who hasn't got pride colours on his profile.

Offline Darkflame Wolfenstein

• Candies: 2
    • Twitter - Darkflame Wolfen (@darkflamewolfen)
  • Fursona Species: Wuskie
Re: Just a idea
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »
I am new here, so I don't know what FTR originally was, but I love this idea.  I think it is a great way to talk about anything among the community.  Discussion, jokes, random things, etc.  Would this be like, a skype chat or something, where people from the community can ask to join in?  There need to be more details including how it would be done.  Hopefully we will get some more active members becoming a part of this task.

Offline Marius

• FT's Otter
  • Yellow Level
    • FurAffinity - ~marius
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 01:15:49 pm »
I am new here, so I don't know what FTR originally was, but I love this idea.  I think it is a great way to talk about anything among the community.  Discussion, jokes, random things, etc.  Would this be like, a skype chat or something, where people from the community can ask to join in?  There need to be more details including how it would be done.  Hopefully we will get some more active members becoming a part of this task.

Skype would probably be the best.

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 01:29:21 pm »
A podcast sounds interesting. I would be interested in participating, but then again timezones are still gonna play a thing no matter what (how can people discuss stuff if no one is online?). We could have regional hosts/time division hosts where if you are generally free in a certain period of time, a certain person can host the thing.

just a thought being thrown out there
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Marius

• FT's Otter
  • Yellow Level
    • FurAffinity - ~marius
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 01:36:31 pm »
A podcast sounds interesting. I would be interested in participating, but then again timezones are still gonna play a thing no matter what (how can people discuss stuff if no one is online?). We could have regional hosts/time division hosts where if you are generally free in a certain period of time, a certain person can host the thing.

Thank you, I'll need to rethink it then. Still thank you for the advise and such.

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 01:38:43 pm »

Thank you, I'll need to rethink it then. Still thank you for the advise and such.

Its an interesting idea you are throwing about, I wouldn't mind helping out (but timing may be a bit tough with me considering my parents recently put an internet lockdown in the evening)
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Teapot

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 139
  • I'm full of coffee
  • Fursona Species: Catahoula Leopard Dog
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 02:53:15 pm »
Actually, because of all these things, I've been thinking that why not have an FT Blog instead of a radio? That way, we could have a few regular writers on some form of rota, some guest writers and feature art/writing etc. Also if it did interviews with people then it could easily be done by email/pm/skype/ whatever is practical. A thread could be set up where people can suggest what could be written about and another where news and updates could be posted. It would be significantly easier.
One blog, three or four regular authors and possibly one admin - doable.

What do you think?
-inspirational quote-

(Avatar by Shia)

Offline Varlen

• So Amaze, Such
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 103
  • FTS RESODENT WIERDO SMILE DOOER.
  • Fursona Species: El Skunko!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 08:38:14 pm »
The blog thing sounds like a pretty sweet idea, actually. It would require planning and stuff though to get decent content up, but that's nothing a good brainstorm won't fix.

Also, the original and rebooted ftr were podcasts, not a livestream. It was still a huge pain to get out regularly, because there was no one able to dedicate more than an hour or so a week to it, and when you factor in editing, cleaning and making the final product interesting, it can get time consuming fast. Another big problem was content- because all the staff here do our duties in our spare time, we couldn't get together to even hammer out decent content, and in the end all kinds of nonsence got in the final cut, and there was a tendency to go off topic during the recording. There was no structure or chance at a re-recording if, by the final editing, something was missing.

All of these, plus the timezone issues, conspired to make ftr a haphazard and unfortunately, rather poor quality final product. The staff all agreed back then (and probably do now, too) that if we go again, we want a regular, topical and high quality final product to be proud of.

For those who are interested, the originals (at least, while I was still around) were recorded by a separate program while in a group mikechat on Skype, and besides the issues of single volume input from the speakers collectively (ideally you want one high and one low volume for specific and easy volume adjustments without distortion, because one speaker may come through louder than another for a variety of reasons. And a podcast being audio only, this is a major issue) and background noise from other programs or speakers, it worked pretty well.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:44:27 pm by Varlen »
  • Flag - banana
  • Award - Beta Tester
Var's Vid of the Week:
Week 13, AK Underwater. If you have any suggestions for the Vid of the Week, pm me! ^.^

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 177
  • STERLING
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 09:15:50 pm »
Maybe we would have to make it a monthly thing rather than every week :/

Online Lance

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 100
  • A' suh dudes!
    • DeviantArt - Spartan329
    • FurAffinity - LanceThyla
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
  • Fursona Species: Thylacine
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 12:02:35 am »
Literally the hardest part of FTR after time zones, was making it interesting. That's because the furry culture is so diverse that it's tricky to decide on what to talk about. You could talk about current events, for example, but what about your audience that doesn't care, or your hosts who aren't well versed in the events? Please do not take this as me trying to discourage you from it, because I don't mean it as such, I want the exact opposite. I would love for FTR to take off and be successful, so go for it! I'll even help wherever I can, I just want you to have a roadmap or plan of attack before jumping in head first.

And Var is right, it's known as "Radio" but it is definitely a podcast style. And the best course of action that I've found is to do three things.

1- Each person records their own audio using Audacity. Super simple to set up, use, and export from. But even though you'll have separate tracks, have a backup like Call Graph in case someone's audio messes up.

2- Sync. This is invaluable to your editor. Have the host countdown from 5, and mute their headphones and have the others countdown in time with them, because you won't notice it in the call as much, but there's a delay and it'll sound better if the tracks are aligned in time.

3- Use headphones. Pls. This will cut down on how much your Skype audio bleeds into your mic audio. And bleeding is bad.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:22:01 am by Lance »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Call me Sam for short

• Green Level
  • Candies: 101
  • bottom text
  • Fursona Species: is bat
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 09:05:53 am »
Now I won't say there will always be the same host but so far FT has about 30-40 very active members so I may get to a point where you'd see repeated people. I wish there was that 341 people on this site everyday.

I'm rather active, and if this becomes a thing, I'll be repeated. I'll be repeated repeatedly.
  • Pronouns: No preference
\/^˙‾˙^\/

Offline Marius

• FT's Otter
  • Yellow Level
    • FurAffinity - ~marius
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 09:11:01 am »
Lance I want to thank you for the advise, if this idea ever picks up it'll help in the long run.

I dunno Sam, apart from the fact I'm not in the mood for jokes of any sort I'd rather not have the same host over and over again. I'd say maybe have 4 people record and maybe 1-2 people who'll always be hosts and maybe 2 guests?

Offline Call me Sam for short

• Green Level
  • Candies: 101
  • bottom text
  • Fursona Species: is bat
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 09:21:58 am »
I know (and knew) you're not in the mood for jokes. I'm just in a non-serious mood right now. I tend to have two separate "personalties": Serious Sam and Insanity Sam. Both are quite self explanatory and I can't really control which happens when. Though it has similarities to a certain mental disorder, I believe that I'm just a strange person.

But that doesn't change the fact that I like the sound of this idea.
  • Pronouns: No preference
\/^˙‾˙^\/

Offline Ame

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 15
  • Gamer otaku wolf pup
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 06:38:24 pm »
Well we could fix the time zone problems if instead of doing it host guest style people got their own topics and recorded themselves and sent it in.
If you give me wings I will soar for you-Tite Kubo

Offline Marius

• FT's Otter
  • Yellow Level
    • FurAffinity - ~marius
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 06:48:52 pm »
Well we could fix the time zone problems if instead of doing it host guest style people got their own topics and recorded themselves and sent it in.

That would require me to chop up, edit, mix and squeeze in 2 hours of somebody talking to themselves. I don't think will work.

Offline Cider!

• Stay Posi~!
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 18
  • I'm basically the social outcast of FT.
  • Fursona Species: Fall-Themed German Shepherd
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »
I would love to be a part of this~! Especially the blog idea, I have always wanted to be a Journalist so what good place to start than constant blogging! cx
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs/He/Him/His
Check out my music :3 : https://gunshotin.bandcamp.com
https://rejectedcreations.bandcamp.com
Looking for a new band/artist? : http://goo.gl/4BlO0t
Quote from: Cider!
DO YOUR BEST IN CLASS BECAUSE IN HIGH SCHOOL IT WILL SUCK IF YOU SUCK!

Offline Teapot

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 139
  • I'm full of coffee
  • Fursona Species: Catahoula Leopard Dog
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 02:42:53 pm »
Well, now I'm here again, I'd still be up for doing the blog.
-inspirational quote-

(Avatar by Shia)

Offline Balteal

• The Guardian
  • Candies: 0
  • Fursona Species: Folf/Shapeshifter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 11:12:16 am »
Okay so I've been reading about the radio on this site for a while now. I realize now how many times it has died and been resurrected. So let me just give out some ideas:
1. I like the idea of multiple hosts because then that would help with the time zones.
2. Perhaps you should make a schedule where everyone who would be on the show would be able to make it.
3. Keep up with the podcast style, if you were to prerecorded voices and put them together, it would not sound natural at all. It'll will save time.
4. There would be a certain day every week the show would be released.
5. Use Skype, it is probably the easiest way and you would have to find a certain program to record it...I have a few ideas.
6. Make the topics go way beyond what people are used to hearing...meaning don't just range the topics in the fandom it will get old. Add a little bit of media, maybe so movies or something.
7. Keep it interesting and intriguing add some comedy.
That's about all I can think of right now. If I think of more I will add it in. If I could listen to the old radio shows I would be able to see what made it die out in the first place but I can't because it will not let me open the files. soo..yea. Oh Im new here. Nice to meet you all.  :fox-:P:

Offline metaecho

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym
    • FurAffinity - metaecho
    • My Art
  • Fursona Species: Dingo
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 12:20:30 am »
I agree with you crowsidious, movies and tv shows would make great topics to talk about.
And if you could find enough people that could host for an hour and a half to 2 hours, then they could easily pass off hosting to the next person. It could even be like a music station where forumers submit their favorite songs and groups. Then there could be a blog about whatever was discussed (or just a thread even) and voting on the next topics could be there also. Basically it depends on how much everyone is willing to invest though.

Offline DeadHyenaz

• Trash King
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 19
  • "Punk isn't dead, it's just sleeping"
    • DeviantArt - KokoroMiracle250
    • FurAffinity - Pidgejaku
    • LiveJournal - NyootBoots
    • Twitter - @pidgejaku
    • Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Hyena/Wolf hybrid, Hyena, Snow Leopard/Demon, Kitsune
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 07:31:36 pm »
Well, now I'm here again, I'd still be up for doing the blog.
I personally love the blog idea, I'd be willing to help out.
  • Pronouns: He/Him
DMMD took my soul

My Instagram: @deadhyenaz/@Lamentobeyondthevoid

Formerly Nyoot-Boots