Author Topic: What IS Music?  (Read 740 times)

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 177
  • STERLING
What IS Music?
« on: June 08, 2014, 12:49:27 am »
It seems to be the trend lately to say things such as "Oh, *insert genre/artist here* Isn't real music!"

So..what is music in your opinion then?

Is it just sounds? Or something more? What do you think?

Keep it mature, I just want to know everyone's opinions on this.

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 119
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
Re: What IS Music?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:38:02 am »
Similar to my what is art thread the answer by most people I would think is the same.

It is subjective.

Ayzure put it out pretty well.
"Works that are appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power."

I would say it is subjective. So technically anything and everything can be art.
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline Call me Sam for short

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 101
  • bottom text
  • Fursona Species: is bat
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 09:24:29 am »
I don't understand music, but I guess that it is just a noise which somebody likes.
  • Pronouns: No preference
\/^˙‾˙^\/

Offline Spooky Azkre

• Work in Progress
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 254
  • Legend
    • DeviantArt - Afrodens
    • Main Site
  • Fursona Species: 'Kitsune'
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:58:23 am »
Simply put, music is an Art, along with many other things.

An Art, is a practice, something done by a person, be it voluntary, or not. An Art, is a practice, with significance; it has to mean something; it has to be special to the creator or the audience or both (the best Arts are often special to both, and the greatest Arts, are profound, to both). Simply put, an Art is a practice, with given meaning by the creator or audience/consumer/whatever; this is what makes an Art.
If a creation, is of no significance, then it is nothing more than a collection of it's components, void of shape, or form, and is essentially, nothing.
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: They/She/He

Main site --> http://azkre.tumblr.com/

Offline Cookie-N

• lennyface.psd
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 59
  • furries trigger me
    • DeviantArt - cookie-n
    • FurAffinity - cookiethebluecat
    • Twitter - nicholas_cookie
    • Tumblr / Art Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 11:56:09 am »
Simply put, music is an Art, along with many other things.

An Art, is a practice, something done by a person, be it voluntary, or not. An Art, is a practice, with significance; it has to mean something; it has to be special to the creator or the audience or both (the best Arts are often special to both, and the greatest Arts, are profound, to both). Simply put, an Art is a practice, with given meaning by the creator or audience/consumer/whatever; this is what makes an Art.
If a creation, is of no significance, then it is nothing more than a collection of it's components, void of shape, or form, and is essentially, nothing.

Thank you!
KEK

Offline Ashton Snowpaw

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 15
  • P-play with m-me? p-please?
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 05:31:45 pm »
Music in my opinion is rhythmic sound.... that's it
Remember, "People are not against you, they are for themselves" - unknown

Offline Proto

• Luckiest fox alive
  • Cookies: 230
  • This is super sweet!
    • DeviantArt - TinyProto
    • FurAffinity - tinyproto
  • Fursona Species: Gray Fox
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 10:54:39 pm »
To me, music is a very special combination of sounds, so special and specific that it's able to make all sort of emotions appear inside of you. It can relax you, make you feel as if you were ready to take on an army by yourself, or sometimes even make you feel really sad.

I've been plating the piano for about ten years of my life, and the songs that I've learned have made me feel what I listed above, but that's just my opinion. Music can be whatever you choose. An example that comes to my mind is that scene from the August Rush movie where he stands in the middle of the street and he is able to find a melody in the sounds that we would only think of as random noises.
  • Flag - mexico
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
:redvelvet:  :pawheart:  :proto:
Taking on commissions!
 Here are my prices

"Have you gone yoicks?!" - Soren, Guardians of Ga'hoole

Offline Left the Fandom

• Goodbye
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 22
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 11:16:43 am »
What music is to me is a melody that can bypass any form a logic, and trigger certain emotions. Some composers write to show their emotions even I pour my emotions into my scores. Music should help people understand what the writer was feeling when he or she was composing. I've been writing for circa 2 years now and every time I hear a new piece It helps me learn and understand the emotions of it. Music is not just black notes on a white page, music is a combination of the writer and his or hers emotions. In a way music can reflect your emotions depending on what you listen to.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 07:40:34 pm »
To me, music must evoke some stirring within, be it melody, rhymth and cadence. "What is music?" I don't think actually has a fixed answer. Music also tells stories, breaks hearts, reduces us to tears, or seduces us into falling in love, over and over and over again. Music is a universal language. Orchestral instruments such as harp, clarinet, kettledrum, xylophone, violin, guitar, trumpet, saxophone, sitar, oboe, flute... They are all uniquely different yet we can ‘hear’ them in our heads, just by thinking of them. Then think of the individual styles of various composers, and then we branch out from the orchestral to other genres such as rock, Indie or Progressive Trance.

I have questions, eg. what does the wind sound like, or a dripping tap? Can this be a form of music too? A car door slamming, a baby crying, footsteps, whispers, a log fire crackling, animal sounds, city sounds, bar-room conversations, the roar of a football crowd, a familiar voice, the ocean, early-morning birdsong... Are these sounds musical to your ears? I think what is music to my ears is a fire crackling when started, or listening to my little girl talking to her teddybears. :)

We have become so accepting and accustomed to recorded sound that it has become rather superficial and formulaic. When we can access any piece of recorded music at the touch of a fingertip,   something valuable gets lost or devalued in the process. Music has become ubiquitous. It’s in shops, restaurants, bars, airports, waiting   rooms – in fact, anywhere that people gather. Sadly, in a way, music has become just another kind of social ‘filler’, like small talk or gossip. I get frustrated when I sit down to eat with a friend and we actually can’t have a conversation because ‘background’ music dominates the situation. Hate it, I really do hate canned music. It's even in supermarkets designed to chill customers into buying more groceries becuase the canned music apparently relaxes them.

Since I took up the cello again I have become more discerning. I don’t want to listen to music every day just because it’s available to me, and that I can. I want to be the master of switching off not just the radio or my iPod, but also turn off music altogether and listen the sound of the sea and the birds in the trees; like Ollie Owl right now, merrily hooting away into the night. Now, that's music to me. :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:45:09 pm by Endgame »