Author Topic: A request  (Read 804 times)

Offline Aimee

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
    • Twitter - aimeec110
    • My website
  • Fursona Species: Husky Puppy Girl
A request
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:40:20 pm »
I hope I can post this here, I feel a little bit cheeky asking for something but here goes.

On the Profile settings under Gender, we currently only have Male and Female options. Could we have options for other non-binary genders please, or at the very least just a simple "Other" option.

Thanks  :fox-;):
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Aimee

Offline Syfaro

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 14
  • foxfoxfox
    • DeviantArt - Syfaro
    • FurAffinity - syfaro
    • Twitter - Syfaro
    • blog.syfaro
  • Fursona Species: Fox
Re: A request
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 02:55:31 pm »
This'd be neat I guess, but I still don't see the need to even include gender, not sure why everyone feels the need to show it :/

Offline Crow done

• We Are Not Things
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 111
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:28:44 pm »
This'd be neat I guess, but I still don't see the need to even include gender, not sure why everyone feels the need to show it :/

I like having gender there so I dont accidentally use the wrong pronouns for someone because sometimes It's hard to tell and I dont keep having to correcting people that yes, I am a girl because they automatically assume I am male.

So the gender feature is helpful.
"The true warrior is good, gentle and honest. His bravery comes from within himself; he learns to conquer his own fears and misdeeds." -- Brian Jacques, Mattimeo

Omg your nipple dogs are amazing! So creative!!! 100% original, I'm jealous of your talent
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing
i have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Offline guapo

• we can start and finish wars
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 289
  • we're what killed the dinosaurs
    • DeviantArt - teethpunk
    • FurAffinity - benzos
    • Twitter - mcfreaking
    • nice aesthetic!
  • Fursona Species: conepatus semistriatus
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:32:12 pm »

I like having gender there so I dont accidentally use the wrong pronouns for someone because sometimes It's hard to tell and I dont keep having to correcting people that yes, I am a girl because they automatically assume I am male.

this

even though it says they/them pronouns in my sig
people continue to call me she/her ???

if there was an option on my profile to say i'm non-binary i feel like that would help
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: they/them/their
the dinosaurs choked on the dust
they died because we say they must

maybe i'll come back later
see ya

Offline Crow done

• We Are Not Things
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 111
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:03:16 pm »

this

even though it says they/them pronouns in my sig
people continue to call me she/her ???

if there was an option on my profile to say i'm non-binary i feel like that would help

That would definitely help because I know I automatically look to the side for gender (Although I did see the They/Them in your sig)

and others probably do too and that would be easier in case someone didnt have it in their signature, or if mentioned in an intro post, if someone didnt read that.
"The true warrior is good, gentle and honest. His bravery comes from within himself; he learns to conquer his own fears and misdeeds." -- Brian Jacques, Mattimeo

Omg your nipple dogs are amazing! So creative!!! 100% original, I'm jealous of your talent
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing
i have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 585
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:32:34 pm »
That's the default built into the program we use, I'm nor actually sure if that can be changed??? But yeah I agree, it's actually been asked before and its defienrlt something we'd like to change, or at least adding pronoun fields. I hope Natasha sees this because she can explain the changes better than I can
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - androsexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Syfaro

• Orange Level
  • foxfoxfox
    • DeviantArt - Syfaro
    • FurAffinity - syfaro
    • Twitter - Syfaro
    • blog.syfaro
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 12:08:14 am »

Heh, totally forgot about that whole pronoun thing x3

(I don't care about what pronouns are used toward me whatsoever)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 01:14:18 am »
The Gender field is intended to serve the purpose of indicating to others how you identify and which pronouns you prefer.  It was pointed out a few months ago that the options of "male", "female", and "neither" are insufficient for some people, and I came up with a potential solution, but a lot of things happened and the people who helped me come up with the idea left the site, so it was never acted upon.

But, you're right that we should implement that.  I'm on my way to bed right now, and I have a busy week/weekend, but I'll dig up my notes tomorrow and see what I can do next week.  I could use a few volunteers to help me test the new solution, so if you're interested, PM me :-)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Syfaro

• Orange Level
  • foxfoxfox
    • DeviantArt - Syfaro
    • FurAffinity - syfaro
    • Twitter - Syfaro
    • blog.syfaro
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 02:24:25 am »
The Gender field is intended to serve the purpose of indicating to others how you identify and which pronouns you prefer.  It was pointed out a few months ago that the options of "male", "female", and "neither" are insufficient for some people, and I came up with a potential solution, but a lot of things happened and the people who helped me come up with the idea left the site, so it was never acted upon.

But, you're right that we should implement that.  I'm on my way to bed right now, and I have a busy week/weekend, but I'll dig up my notes tomorrow and see what I can do next week.  I could use a few volunteers to help me test the new solution, so if you're interested, PM me :-)

There's a compatible mod for this! http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2152

(although that's really only a starting point, that mod is a bit... weird in the gender options)