Author Topic: Five Nights at Freddy's  (Read 5840 times)

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
Five Nights at Freddy's
« on: August 24, 2014, 03:05:03 am »
Hey, I'm just wondering who might have played this? It's an indie point-and-click horror game available on Steam.

It's one of the most unique premises I've ever seen in a game. As the night's watchman of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, a children's Pizza restaurant where the animatronic animals come to life at night in order to attack you and violently attempt to force you into a mascot costume, killing you in the process. The only defense you have against them is to watch them through your security cameras, illuminate the areas outside your office, and shut the door when they come too close. But the electricity required to do this depletes rapidly so you've got to conserve power. The only time in which you can escape for them is when the clock reaches 6AM.

Watching the cameras and eerily seeing them move or appear outside your office is really creepy, providing a sense of paranoia and fear as you progress through the night. It's really amazing how such silly villains could be made so scary with the addition of a tense atmosphere and clever gameplay mechanics. I first played it after seeing lots of Let's Plays and fan artwork online. I'd definitely recommend it myself if you're interested in playing something different. And at only $5 it's really cheap.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:42:21 pm by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Ho-oknight

• The Shapeshrifting Samurai Tiger
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • Please to meet you, I'm Drevis Kokoro.
    • FurAffinity - Ultimoknight
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Tabby Tiger
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:31:36 am »
Please don't mention that game. 0.0
Don't take my swordman skills so easily, I have years of experience that only a well-trained master can have.

Offline Julum

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 8
    • FurAffinity - Julum
  • Fursona Species: Main: Lizard Alt: Western Dragon
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 10:12:33 am »
Just seeing pictures of that game gave me the chills. Especially of one where there was like a bird thing that had a shirt that said "Let's eat!" on it (which, in my opinion, made the game all the more horrifying) breaking through a wall and staring at you with a murderous look on its face. I do wanna watch somebody play it, but my anxiety can get me really freaked out for a long time, even if the scary thing I saw wasn't real.

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:16:23 am »
Please don't mention that game. 0.0
I know, it scares me too. But you've got to remember that it's just a game and we're welcome to discuss it.
I mean the mascots can't actually hurt...
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Maximumcool2

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 20
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 01:10:22 pm »
The amount of tumblr art and memes from this game alone amazes me

Offline Malifor

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 73
  • No
    • FurAffinity - malifor2210
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 01:55:45 pm »
The amount of tumblr art and memes from this game alone amazes me
I've known about it more because of this haha. But anyway, since I can't really pay for games as much as I wanted to, I never actually played it personally but, did watch a few playthroughs  of it. I say the simplicity of it is completely terrifying, only looking at cameras for a limited time and or use anything actually and using the lights switch at the sides hehe or that when you let the camera down and they're in front of you.

Offline Call me Sam for short

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 101
  • bottom text
  • Fursona Species: is bat
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 10:15:57 am »
So, I asked myself a question: "Why do people play Five Nights at Freddy's?", and, after a while researching, I think I found the answer.

Firstly, we wouldn't play the game if it wasn't so famous.

The game certainly became famous on the 12th of August, despite having been released on the 24th of July. I can tell this because, after looking through all the reviews for it, only a few were posted before the 12th of August (I counted two), whilst many were posted on and after the 12th of August. Now look at this. This is all of the Five Nights at Freddy's videos in the order of the number of views. At the time of writing, the second most viewed video was published on the 12th of August by Markiplier. So now we know the reason why it became so famous: Markiplier's video.

Secondly, we wouldn't play it if we didn't enjoy playing it.

So why do we (or, at least, some people) enjoy playing it? There are three major reasons why we feel motivated to play games, as outlined by self-determination theory. They are:
  • Competence - Overcoming and mastering
  • Relatedness - Interacting and connecting with other people
  • Autonomy - Wanting to be a causal agent, making important decisions
Five Nights at Freddy's is a mostly competence based game: you want to overcome the challenges of each night; to master the game. So people play it because it is challenging. And some people just play it because they enjoy being scared. And why is it challenging? Partially because the random events cause it to be difficult, but also because of the horror. The fact that it is a horror game by definition means that people will be scared of it, and therefore may quit in fear, get scared to the point of which they make a mistake etc.

tl;dr we play the game because Markiplier made it famous and it is scary and therefore challenging.
  • Pronouns: No preference
\/^˙‾˙^\/

Offline Placeholder

• Beep
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 109
  • Boop
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 10:59:35 am »
Do not let me near that thing. I have nightmares of walking dolls trying to turn me into a doll

• Green Level
  • bottom text
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 11:03:01 am »
Do not let me near that thing. I have nightmares of walking dolls trying to turn me into a doll

I'm automatonophobic, so feel the same way about it.
\/^˙‾˙^\/

Offline Will

• British Mouse
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 43
  • meh, none of you gave a shit
  • Fursona Species: Mouse
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 12:51:26 pm »
I'm going to be streaming this for a few friends tonight, going to be having fun :P.

EDIT: Streamed and screamed, not for the feint of heart.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:45:18 pm by Will »
"To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may mean the world."-Brandi Snyder

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 06:28:04 pm »
Watched part 1 of that Mark guy play it, it doesn't seem THAT scary. I guess you have to play it to feel the atmosphere.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Will

• British Mouse
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 43
  • meh, none of you gave a shit
  • Fursona Species: Mouse
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 06:52:54 pm »
Watched part 1 of that Mark guy play it, it doesn't seem THAT scary. I guess you have to play it to feel the atmosphere.

It's exactly that dude, there's watching the game and then there is actually playing it with the right atmosphere.
"To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may mean the world."-Brandi Snyder

Offline Malifor

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 73
  • No
    • FurAffinity - malifor2210
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 09:32:46 pm »
Yep. What Will said, there's a clear difference between playing and watching a horror game. It's funny and fun to watch but it's utterly terrifying when playing it. I wussed out playing amnesia the darkest descent, I'm just bad although I've seen a playthough so many times.

Offline Goat angst

• Your crazy ruler
  • Cookies: 114
  • Mmmmm goat angst~
    • DeviantArt - crazymonkey45
    • FurAffinity - crazywolf45
  • Fursona Species: Crazy and spooky goat angst
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 09:23:15 am »
Oh my friend has this! She played it and cried in the corner for a few minutes...... Yep quality game if that happens Eheheh. I'm honestly wanting to play and make it to the sixth night for that fiffty cent bonus. All that money is worth it!
  • Award - Beta Tester

Tacos are the best kind of weapons!

Offline Applefolf

• Purple Level
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 01:12:18 pm »
So I sat down and watchee ALL of Mark's videos on it with headphones on and the volume up. It looks like an amazing game and I jumped in a few places just watching someone else play it!
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

• Green Level
  • bottom text
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 06:23:19 am »
Hey, fun fact: the sound of the animatronics screaming is actually a human scream played so loud that the computer can't play it properly, resulting in that shriek.
\/^˙‾˙^\/

Offline Rokuno Serani

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 13
    • DeviantArt - Basshead28
    • FurAffinity - Basshead28
    • Twitter - @Rokunothedragon
    • My Art Blog
  • Fursona Species: Furred Dragon
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 12:55:15 am »
I saw a post on tumblr that made this game mess with your mind. U know how they are trying to put u in a costume/outfit? Furries would win, because on the 2nd day, we would bring fursuits. XD
  • Pride Flag - aromantic
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Rocko

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 20
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 02:47:08 am »
I saw a post on tumblr that made this game mess with your mind. U know how they are trying to put u in a costume/outfit? Furries would win, because on the 2nd day, we would bring fursuits. XD
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOL

• Green Level
  • bottom text
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 02:59:16 am »

This show why that might not be a good idea. (warning: there is a swear)
\/^˙‾˙^\/

Offline Applefolf

• Purple Level
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 04:24:20 am »
Nope, they'd just think your an empty costume and stuff an animatronic skeleton into you.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~