Author Topic: Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Maximumcool2

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 20
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:31:44 pm »
I really love the Ace Attorney series in all of its glory, so I just had to buy their new 3ds game. 
And let me tell you, this game does not fall short of the previous standards the other games set.
Basically, I'll judge 5 aspects of the game: Graphics, Story, Soundtrack, Difficulty, and Gameplay.

Graphics: 5/5
Probably one of the main reasons to buy this game.  Considering the old-fashioned style of the older games in the Ace Attorney series, this game is a huge improvement.  The thing that made me enjoy this game the most was the fact that it actually used the 3DS's 3d aspect.  Also, there are anime cutscenes, an addition that was never present in the previous games.  And let's not forget that the entire game brought the series from pixel to 3-d animation.  The characters' animations are skillfully implemented, and the camera seems to move throughout the courtroom, using a new 3-d environment.  You are no longer confined to one single pov of the witness stand.

Story: 4/5
The main concept of the game is about "the dark age of the law."  This basically talks about fraud in the court system.  The game is very intense, as it opens immediately with a courtroom bombing scene.  I won't spoil too much here, but I'll say that this game's plot will surprise you many times in the direction it takes.  I personally think the ending could have been better, which is why I deducted a point.  However, each case is very unique in its own way.  Fans of the earlier games will enjoy certain references which are strung throughout this new installment.  It also has uniqueness of its own, as it adds a new character into the mix: Athena Cykes, a girl who can "hear" people's emotions through their hearts.

Soundtrack: 5/5
This game's soundtrack will hit you with a wave of nostalgia if you've played the earlier games.  However, it also introduces new tracks, which bring about a variety of moods.  The game's music can easily get stuck inside your head for a day or two, so beware.

Difficulty: 2.5/5
To be honest, I was rather disappointed with the difficulty level of the game.  It seemed very easy, and the contradictions were very obvious in many of the trials.  It seemed as if most of the logic was being thought out for you.  There were clear hints.  I needed no help whatsoever to complete this game.  Compare this to the last trial of the second game in the series, where I basically needed to use StrategyWiki for the whole damn thing.  This might've been intentional, in order to make it appeal to more people.  However, it took a little bit away from the game for me.

Gameplay: 4.5/5
The thing I really like about the gameplay is how it focuses more on trials then on investigations.  The tedious part of the older games was having to examine and present every little piece of evidence you had during the investigation phase.  Also, they bring back old investigation techniques in this new installment: specifically Apollo's bracelet.  They added a new aspect: the mood matrix, in which the player has to identify a contradiction in the feelings of a witness.  I really like what this new aspect added to the gameplay.

Final score: 4.3/5
This game was an excellent tribute to the previous games.  It also had a great soundtrack, plot, and overall gaming experience to offer.  There could have been improvement in the difficulty of the game, but it was an overall enjoyable experience.  Definitely worth the money, besides, it's pretty inexpensive.  I would definitely recommend it to Ace Attorney fans, or those who enjoy logic based games.

In game photos:

Athena Cykes, the new character in an anime cutscene.

Both Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice are playable characters, leading to many different courtroom scenarios.

The game features the traditional gameplay of the series, as well as certain new aspects.