Author Topic: Need your help for my essay  (Read 706 times)

Offline Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 830
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
Need your help for my essay
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:34:15 pm »
I'm currently taking a anthropology, psychology, and sociology course at my school. Today we got assigned our topics for our final essay and we begin working in them tomorrow. My broad topic is the sub-culture of fandoms and I'm thinking of specifically doing why people join fandoms. This is where I could use some of your guys help because I would love it if I could get some stories of why you joined the furry fandom. I know there is already a topic about this in the general chatter section but in that tread a lot of people just say things like they have always been a fan of anthropomorphic animals, they like the art, they're interested in fursuiting etc but being active in a fandom is more than just being a fan if whatever the fandom is about. A fandom really is a society or sub-culture and people join and an active them for various reasons and I want to know yours.

So if you are with ok with me possible quoting you in my essay (I'll use your furry name so it's sort of anynomus) why did you join/become active in the furry fandom and why do you stay active in this fandom or any others. As I said earlier I know we are all fans of anthropomorphic animals, I'm looking for stuff more along the lines of you like the community, or you didn't have many friends in real life and joined because you hoped to find friends online etc.

I would also love it if you could tell me how long you've been an active member of the furry fandom and/or any other fandoms and what they are

Thanks so much if help me! :fox-:):
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline Akio Leopard

• ^~^
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 63
  • Icon by Ziggyzoom
    • DeviantArt - AkioLeopard
    • FurAffinity - AkioLeopard
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
Re: Need your help for my essay
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 04:54:45 pm »
Aside from my liking of anthropomorphic animals, I became active in the furry fandom to make friends. None of my real life friends are furries, so before I became active in the fandom I had no one to talk about furry things with. My friends don't care if I want a fursuit, or got some new art, but in the fandom people like to talk about and share these things because we all think it's cool.

When I first "became furry", all I did was look up art. After a while, I began to take a real interest in more parts of the fandom. I began to want to go to conventions, get a fursuit, make a fursona and get art of him, and most importantly make some furry friends. As I said earlier none of my real life friends are furries, so I felt a need to make new friends. I did and am still doing this online with FT. This site is where I first became active in the fandom, and is where I'm the most active. People here are a lot of fun to talk to, and I can talk about furry things and have people be interested instead of question it. The community here is great, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

I'd say I've been a furry all my life, but I became active in the fandom October of last year.

So yeah, I became active in the fandom to make furry friends, and I stay active because I like talking with and interacting with the people I've met online.
Feel free to PM me or message me on Skype. I like to talk, and as long as I'm not busy I'm happy to chat anytime :lol-fox:
(But I'm kind of awkward so you'll have to message me first)

~I don't even know what I was gonna put here~

Offline Koala123

• Nervous
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 40
  • I'm personal
    • FurAffinity - Koala
  • Fursona Species: Koala
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:30:36 pm »
I joined the fandom around, eh, about 2010 when I stumbled across a news article (I don't remember the name of it) while surfing the internet.  I instantly got interested and started searching it up.  I wasn't very attached to the fandom when I was in 5th to 6th grade, but when I started to get bullied more and most of my friends using me as a "second choice", I got desperate and wanted to make real friends that shared interests with me.

When I started being a furry, all I thought furries were about fursuits, and nothing else.  I then stumbled across FA, and that was when I realized that fursuiting wasn't the only part of the fandom, as there was art, music, and other things I am probably forgetting about.

On my whole journey since 2010, I'd say I've only made one real furry friend that I contact often, and that was just recently after joining FT, which, to me, is a great achievement.  I've always felt like I was one of the "outsiders" of my school, but the great community helped me push through these couple of hard years.

I've always sporadically thought about suicide, and I still do, but everyone here has taken that off of my mind periodically, and that's why I enjoy the fandom so much.

So, to quickly summarize, I joined because of desperation of real friends.

I'd like to apoligize for any spelling/grammar errors made, I'm having trouble thinking straight today...
[If you want to use a quote from here, just call me Speckles :)]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:35:32 pm by JustAnotherFursuiter »

Offline Essie

• Where the fruit at?
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 22
  • No seriously, where is the fruit?
    • DeviantArt - JumperHusky
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Husky/Batdog
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:35:52 pm »
I'm new to the furry fandom, I just joined back in May. I saw a documentary on "Furries" on Animal Planet, which made me curious so I looked up the Furry fandom online. The fandom drew me in primarily because I like the creative outlet and the idea of creating an alternative animal persona of yourself, a fursona. I've always liked animation featuring animals (such as The Lion King and Balto) so I feel right at home here!
"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate."
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 04:15:35 pm »
Hopefully i'm not TOO late

Joining the fandom is an interesting tale in itself. When i first discovered the concept of furies, it was through random Google searching a long while back. At first, I was utterly appalled by the fandom, wondering how it was something people agreed. However, it was most probably because what i came across was more or less adult material. It took me a few years of forgetting about said incident before rediscovering the fandom itself, which again was done through a random google search (its like a trend or some sort). I'm not sure what witchcraft made it work, but over time I started to realize 'hey, i actually like this stuff'.

I guess you could say the social aspect spread from lurking. It wasn't really long before i joined this forum called Furry Teens, and my social circle within the fandom spread. This was around June 2013 It was never really a lack of friends that made me want to be more social, rather just finding people who shared a common interest in me, something that i did feel was lacking at school.

Has the fandom helped me in a better way? Yes and no. While i could go on and on about this, ill keep it short. In a sense, the fandom has allowed me to reach more people internationally, and really get a perspective of the world from a different viewpoint. A recent count of friends i made has shown that i talk to more people in the fandom online than my friends in real life, which is kinda shocking. I tend to be the person who constantly seeks more social interaction online nowadays just so i can find people with the same common interests as me, the furry fandom. Yet interactions can sometimes pay a huge price, which do end up hurting people emotionally.

I feel like my response is really standard, but there is alot more detail i can go into about my own experiences. If you need more information, you can always PM me and tell me where you want me to elaborate. As well, You can use either my real name or my fursona's name (Ryan), but please don't use any of my usernames.
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 09:09:23 pm »
I "joined" the fandom in 2012, after finding and reading Rukis's and Blotch's graphic novels online. I had been interested in furries for a while, but I did not realize that there was such a large community involved with it. I had always just thought of it as a thing, not really something big and complex and what-not. After I joined, I was mainly just in it for the art for the first year or so. I spent a lot of time looking through FurAffinity and following cool artists.

It wasn't really until 2013 that I actually started getting involved with the community aspect. I started watching several of Eskiworks's streams online and seeing how many cool, interesting, creative, and all-around quirky people there were in the fandom and how many different stories and backgrounds there were out there. That's when I started trying to be more sociable online; in person, I deliberately give off a negative, pessimistic attitude because I don't particularly like interacting with people whom I don't know, so the only people who see the real me are my close friends (and even they see more of the persona). Online, that's totally different. I don't mind interacting with people here, because most of us share something in common, be it sexuality, social status, or even just interest in furries. And most of the people I find on here aren't dirtbags, so that's a definite plus. Sure, there is always someone who has to go and ruin things for everyone else, but those people are few and far between. In the real world (sorry, guys, but it's true), those people are a whole lot more common and harder to avoid. I've gotten pretty good at it with my real-world persona (most people don't bother to interact with me unless they know me), but there is still the fact that I have to deal with those people. So it really is a great place.

The main reason I'm sticking with it now is because of you guys; the other people in this fandom who give it the character and diversity that it contains. Sure, you can find that in real life, but you're limited by geographical and lifestyle and however many other barriers. The furry community is a place for anyone and everyone to get together and be friends.

Let me know if you want more! I'm happy to PM or Skype chat with you anytime. It's hard to type everything at one time because I always forget things. You can quote me as Jaden Wolfe.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

Offline Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 830
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:54:28 pm »
Thanks all of you :fox-:): I will definitely be quoting some of you in my essay. I have everything I need now so no need for any new replies
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet