Author Topic: Vanity's Algebra I Blues  (Read 963 times)

Offline Vanity

• A True Vanity
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 5
  • Prideful and Pure
  • Fursona Species: Norweigen Fjord Horse
Vanity's Algebra I Blues
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:50:27 pm »
I have always been really terrible at math. I've always hated it too. Here is an equation MathXL told me to answer, but my teacher failed to teach my class how to do it.

8n - (5n + 6) = 6

Goodluck, and thanks in advance.
“What people regard as vanity—leaving great works, having children, acting in such a way as to prevent one's name from being forgotten—I regard as the highest expression of human dignity.” ~ Paulo Coelho

Offline Mister_Twiddles

• The lurker
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 29
  • More fun than a kitten covered in cocaine!
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Vanity's Algebra I Blues
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:06:46 pm »
*looks at problem*  What the... how?  I would normally just distribute, but there is that pesky minus sign there, and you can't add 6 to 5n, they aren't like terms.  What the hell is going on here!!?!?!

Oh wells, I took a stab at it.

Disclaimer: I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing this right, so if it's wrong, I don't take the blame.  It's your fault for trusting me in the first place!
Now that that's out of the way, we can begin!

8n-(5n+6)=6
Since you can't really distribute here, nor can you combine the terms within the parentheses, I'm going to assume you just subtract 8n by what is in the parentheses.
Subtract 5n from 8n and viola!

3n-6=6
Now add six to both sides, to put n by itself.

3n=12
Now, we only need one n, so we divide both sides by three to get rid of the excess ns.

n=4

• Pronouns: He/Him/His
You'll need to speak up, I'm not wearing any pants!

Discord: Mister_Twiddles#6928

Hit me up, I'm bored!

Offline RickyMcGee

• Slick as Frick Rick
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 61
  • Pic by Businessfox on FA
    • FurAffinity - Alexzandr
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:10:29 pm »
You take everything inside the parathases and make it negative
8n-5n-6=6
Then you add like terms
3n-6=6
Next take -6 over the = sign, making it positive
3n=12
Finnaly divide 12 by 3, singling out the n
n=4
You're good Mister Twiddles.
Just like a burn will linger, she crept between my fingers, and to my body she has now become a new disease. A fog to cloud vision, more like an apparition. She made a mess and now abandoned me.
Twitter Youtube Crush thing? Deviantart

Offline Vanity

• A True Vanity
  • Red Level
  • Prideful and Pure
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:11:16 pm »
Thank you so incredibly much, both of you!
“What people regard as vanity—leaving great works, having children, acting in such a way as to prevent one's name from being forgotten—I regard as the highest expression of human dignity.” ~ Paulo Coelho

Offline Amelia

• Candy Witch
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 811
  • Boo
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Kangaroo
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:13:03 pm »
Yay algebra! I actually really enjoy simple algebra, the stuff I'm doing know is to complicated and I don't really enjoy it anymore :sad-fox:

So what you want to do here is first expand that bracket, I don't know if you've done this yet so I'll explain it anyway the - in front really means -1 so to expand you multiple every term (Which is a string of multiplications or divisions separated by a + or - so in this case the terms would be 5n and 6) so you'd multiply the 5n by the -1 and get -5n and then multiple the 6 by -1 to get -6 and now you brackets expanded so you have:
8n - 5n - 6 = 6
They would would combine like terms which are terms that share a variable and exponent (in this case you don't have to worry about exponents) or numbers without variables (there's a proper term for this that I can't remember right now)
So you'd get:
3n - 6 = 6
Then you want to isolate n by cancelling out the 6 on the LS to do this you would add 6 but when you add 6 to the LS you if course have to do it to the right side too
So you'd get
3n - 6 + 6 = 6 + 6
Which would simplify to:
3n = 12
Then you want to get rid if the coefficient of n (the number in front of n) by dividing it by the coefficient which in this case is three but then you have to do that to the other side too
which would give you:
3n/3 =12/3
Which simplifies to
n = 4
And that's your answer! :lol-fox:

Hope this helps, if you any questions about what I did or need help with any more questions feel free to ask me :fox-:):
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by Serena | Signature by SpazzCraft

Offline RickyMcGee

• Slick as Frick Rick
  • Blue Level
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 10:14:21 pm »
Being in Algebra 2 does have its advantages, but no problem.
P.S. Alg 2 suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.
Just like a burn will linger, she crept between my fingers, and to my body she has now become a new disease. A fog to cloud vision, more like an apparition. She made a mess and now abandoned me.

Offline Amelia

• Candy Witch
  • Administrator
  • Boo
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:19:13 pm »

If you don't mind me asking what is Algebra 2, is it a specific algebra course you take in school? Because in my school we just spend the first unit of every math course learning new algebra skills and then apply them to crazy functions for the rest of the year (oh how I hate functions) I've heard of algebra 1 and 2 and stuff before just never really understood what they were
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Vanity

• A True Vanity
  • Red Level
  • Prideful and Pure
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 10:19:36 pm »
Thanks MythicSolstice.

Offline RickyMcGee

• Slick as Frick Rick
  • Blue Level
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:33:38 pm »

If you don't mind me asking what is Algebra 2, is it a specific algebra course you take in school? Because in my school we just spend the first unit of every math course learning new algebra skills and then apply them to crazy functions for the rest of the year (oh how I hate functions) I've heard of algebra 1 and 2 and stuff before just never really understood what they were
Alg 1 is pretty much what we did, solving for x and the millions of different was to do it. Then came geometry which was Alg 1 stuff but the added factor of shapes. Alg 2 is more focused on patterns and sequences. And finding the equation that takes the 1st number to the second. And finding these equations takes up a good pages worth.

Offline Amelia

• Candy Witch
  • Administrator
  • Boo
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 10:52:35 pm »
Alg 1 is pretty much what we did, solving for x and the millions of different was to do it. Then came geometry which was Alg 1 stuff but the added factor of shapes. Alg 2 is more focused on patterns and sequences. And finding the equation that takes the 1st number to the second. And finding these equations takes up a good pages worth.

Thanks :) I googled it too an it seems similar to the stuff I'm doing, we're the same age so it makes sense that we'd be doing similar things

Also sorry Vanity for going off topic there for a bit
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Essie

• Where the fruit at?
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 22
  • No seriously, where is the fruit?
    • DeviantArt - JumperHusky
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Husky/Batdog
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 08:50:36 pm »
I used to work at Mathnasium as a math tutor, and I can confirm that n=4. Good job guys!
"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate."
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe