Author Topic: Horror Movies that are actually scary?  (Read 305 times)

Offline Moth

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 87
    • DeviantArt - PrinceDeathDefying
    • FurAffinity - gotebloke
    • Twitter - Jouskadevil
  • Fursona Species: Beast
Horror Movies that are actually scary?
« on: October 28, 2018, 04:44:29 pm »
What is a horror movie or show that really, truly scared you? Personally I've never found one (unless you count the Teletubbies when I was 4 or so) that scares me truthfully but I'm currently on a quest to find one. :P
  • Flag - denmark
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/they/any neutral
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (US): 1-800-273-8255
{ Open Adopts | Avatar - }

Offline KipKap

• Served raw
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 193
  • Currently addicted to Tally Hall
    • DeviantArt - KipekeeReddington
    • FurAffinity - FoxdogExpress
  • Fursona Species: Winged Foxdog
Re: Horror Movies that are actually scary?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 07:59:04 pm »
Ghostwatch is an underrated gem. It was broadcasted on the BBC as a live documentary that was meant to seem real, but it was just a prank (kind of like Blair Witch). Apparently it was so realistic and impactful people seemed to believe it was real, and apparently a couple kids supposedly got PTSD from it which stirred up a huge controversy?

Anyways, kind of like Blair Witch it starts off slow but the scares are genuinely terrifying. There's lots of dramatic irony. And wouldn't you know- this movie is free from jumpscares too!

This genuinely spooked me for a few nights.

And then there's these ones, in case you haven't seen them already:
The Blair Witch Project
The Shining
The Babadook (warning: a dog dies. Spoilers? Sure. But better safe than sorry)
Ringu (Japanese original) / The Ring (American remake)

Those are some movies that really, really scared me. I kept off movies that rely too much on jumpscares, loud noises / music, or gore as those aren't really scary, so imo at least the above 4 (5?) are real gems- pure horror, no cheap effects. (The Shining and the American version of The Ring could be arguable but I just really like those ones.) I'm also not including things like Silence Of The Lambs / Se7en / Psycho / Get Out which are more thriller than horror although they have their scary moments.

It (2017) has some creative scares although it also involves a lot of jumpscares / loud noises so I kept it off the list above, but it's worth seeing just for the story.

The original Pet Sematary is apparently pretty gory but is also actually scary? I wouldn't know as I don't plan on seeing it but from the trailer and clips I've seen it looks very eerie.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 08:17:00 pm by Tabby Von Star »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/her
Fursonas: Kipekee Reddington, Tabby Von Star, Dani Tracy, & Bahari Maua
ENFP-T / 4w3 / Lawful Good Druid / Hufflepuff / Pukwudgie

Art Dump | Literature Thread | Toyhouse | ThisCrush |
Sarahah | Trello

Offline Dolly

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 115
  • profile pic by Rolinho de Canela on DA!
    • FurAffinity - zazanga
  • Fursona Species: Great Dane
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:21:53 pm »
The Blair Witch Project is the first horror movie I ever watched, and 12 year old me was terrified. 17 year old me is only slightly less so. The Conjuring is also pretty freaky too.
  • Pride Flag - lesbian
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Offline Marc <3

• monochromatic puppies
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 8
  • *Insert Self-Degrading Joke*
    • Twitter - marc_the_3d_man
    • monochromatic puppies - official website
  • Fursona Species: American Pit Bull Terrier
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:15:02 am »
I am a huge nut for horror movies (specifically slasher and grindhouse types). In my opinion, you don't know horror until you see these movies.
[WARNING: SOME OF THESE MOVIES MAY CONTAIN NUDITY, AND/OR HIGH AMOUNTS OF GORE]

Hush (2016): A deaf writer who chooses to live alone in the woods is suddenly threatened by a man.
^ I believe this movie is already a horror classic, and for a good reason. It has a simple plot, a unique struggle, and outstanding direction.

Kristy (2014): Alone on thanksgiving break, a college student falls victim to a deep web cult's deadly games.
^ This movie is my all-time favorite. Though it doesn't sport any gore, it's near perfect direction creates a thrilling experience.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003): A group of teens are slaughtered by a family of cannibals, in the middle of nowhere.
^ This movie is more of a hit-or-miss, as some scenes may cause viewers to assume it's an early 2000s revival cash grab. I personally believe that it's (for the most part) well done.

Sledgehammer (1983): A group of (supposedly) teens rent a summer house, and find themselves hunted by a psychotic man, wielding a sledgehammer.
^ This is a Shot-On-Video (Indie) slasher film, so the quality isn't the best. The movie was pretty low budget, so the actors are clearly in there early 30s, but let's just pretend they're teenagers. Anyway, this movie is still fantastic, and deserves to shine on the list of 80s classics.

Halloween II (1981): Directly after the events of the original Halloween, Michael Myers heads to Haddonfield Memorial Hospital, in search of Laurie Strode.
^ Iconic? Iconic. In my opinion, the best Halloween movie. The thrills are amped up, keeping the adrenaline pumping more than ever before.

The Prowler/Rosemary's Killer (1981): A crazy WW2 veteran sets out to terrorize a graduation party.
^ More 80s goodness that does a great job at bumping up my heart rate.

Bonus:
You're Next (2011): A group of masked killers attempt to murder a family, only to discover one of the victim's strength.
^ This movie isn't exactly horror, choosing to parody common horror cliches, instead. It's still thrilling, and is sure to be remembered.

EDIT:
The Shallows (2016): A woman goes to Mexico, to surf away her problems. Unfortunately, a wild shark appears.
^ This movie fantastic. The FX are great, too.

The Birds (1963): Birds begin to attack a small town.
^ This is my favorite Alfred Hitchcock movie. 56 years since it was released, and it's still fantastic!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:48:28 am by Marc <3 »
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
  |  LOVE Y'ALL SO MUCH!  :shaking2:  |  Discord: Marc <3#3397  | 

Offline Morgue

• Profile by Saint Judas
  • Cookies: 240
  • Oof!
    • FurAffinity - DonnytheFloof
    • Twitter - Donny the Fox
    • Furryteens
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 11:37:23 pm »
-Hereditary
-You're Next
-The Strangers
-It Follows
-
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Chaotic good - Science geek - Reader/Writer .http://www.thiscrush.com/~axlequartz

Offline Shope-a-lope

• *Screams about Bucky*
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 193
  • Broadcasting live from area 51!
    • Twitter - @harvest_luna
  • Fursona Species: Jackalope
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 05:18:36 pm »
I'm not much of a horror movie junkie but Shutter Island was pretty disturbing.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  Sew up your skull, take your time, and we'll be just fine.
Instagram: @ShopePapilloma
Proud member of the Good Guy Gang
Icon by Arch! <3