Author Topic: Broadway/Musical Theater Music  (Read 456 times)

Offline Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 831
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
Broadway/Musical Theater Music
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:56:54 am »
Anyone else into Broadway and Musical Theater music?

Personally this is my favourite music genre, Wicked, If/Then and Rent are some of my favourites. I'm currently am looking for some new songs from different musicals if anyone has any suggestions
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline Essie

• Where the fruit at?
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 22
  • No seriously, where is the fruit?
    • DeviantArt - JumperHusky
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Husky/Batdog
Re: Broadway/Musical Theater Music
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 11:10:54 am »
I highly recommend music from the musical "Ragtime", it's about three groups of people in New York City at the turn of the century, and the story is SO GOOD! "Sarah Brown Eyes" is my favorite song from the show, but it helps to know the story and characters before you listen to it. "New Music" and "The Gettin' Ready Rag" are also very good.
Have you heard of the musical "Memphis"? They have some awesome soulful music, "Underground" is great when you want to boogie and I sometimes listen to "Make Me Stronger" right before a big test or exam, it pumps me up.
"In the Heights" is a relatively new latino rap musical, give the song "96,000" a try if you want to get a feel for the flavor of the musical. (The song is about winning the lottery, just fyi).
Sorry if I'm rambling, but I also need to mention the musical "Chess." It's where the popular song 'One Night in Bangkok" comes from. My personal favorite from that one is "I Know Him So Well."
And of course, there's other standard shows I'm sure all theater fans would enjoy: "Into the Woods," "Chicago," ""West Side Story," "Guys and Dolls," and "The Lion King."
"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate."
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 38
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 11:27:47 am »
Has anyone ever seen the musical version of Green Day's American Idiot? The songs are very good rock music, the set an choreography are unbelievable, and the characters are pretty relatable in the basics of wasted youth. I especially like the ending that gives off a bittersweet emptiness (which is surprising for a musical this big and loud). Basically, it's a good musical for those who like bombastic, yet catchy music :lol-fox:
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 831
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 05:20:18 pm »
I highly recommend music from the musical "Ragtime", it's about three groups of people in New York City at the turn of the century, and the story is SO GOOD! "Sarah Brown Eyes" is my favorite song from the show, but it helps to know the story and characters before you listen to it. "New Music" and "The Gettin' Ready Rag" are also very good.
Have you heard of the musical "Memphis"? They have some awesome soulful music, "Underground" is great when you want to boogie and I sometimes listen to "Make Me Stronger" right before a big test or exam, it pumps me up.
"In the Heights" is a relatively new latino rap musical, give the song "96,000" a try if you want to get a feel for the flavor of the musical. (The song is about winning the lottery, just fyi).
Sorry if I'm rambling, but I also need to mention the musical "Chess." It's where the popular song 'One Night in Bangkok" comes from. My personal favorite from that one is "I Know Him So Well."
And of course, there's other standard shows I'm sure all theater fans would enjoy: "Into the Woods," "Chicago," ""West Side Story," "Guys and Dolls," and "The Lion King."

Thanks for the suggestions Sarka, Ragtime sounds really good I'll definitely have to check it out. I've listened to a bit of the music from Chicago and really liked it but haven't gotten around to listening to the full soundtrack. I love the music from the Lion King too, I just consider it Disney music instead of Broadway music even though it is on broadway, I saw the musical while I was in London and it was very good
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline Essie

• Where the fruit at?
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 22
  • No seriously, where is the fruit?
    • DeviantArt - JumperHusky
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Husky/Batdog
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »
Has anyone ever seen the musical version of Green Day's American Idiot? The songs are very good rock music, the set an choreography are unbelievable, and the characters are pretty relatable in the basics of wasted youth. I especially like the ending that gives off a bittersweet emptiness (which is surprising for a musical this big and loud). Basically, it's a good musical for those who like bombastic, yet catchy music :lol-fox:
I really like "Holiday" and "American Idiot," but some of thier songs are a little harsh for me. But I totally respect the music, and I love the idea of the rock musical. It brings some much-needed variety into the realm of theater :)
"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate."
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Offline guapo

• we can start and finish wars
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 289
  • we're what killed the dinosaurs
    • DeviantArt - teethpunk
    • FurAffinity - benzos
    • Twitter - mcfreaking
    • nice aesthetic!
  • Fursona Species: conepatus semistriatus
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 08:45:35 pm »
i love musicals more than i love myself ok

my faves are uh

repo! the genetic opera
the devils carnival
dr horrible's sing-along blog
chicago
hedwig and the angry inch
rocky horror picture show
rent
and hairspray!! (which i was in ; 000)

avenue q and kinky boots are pretty good too
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: they/them/their
the dinosaurs choked on the dust
they died because we say they must

maybe i'll come back later
see ya

Offline End

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 406
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 10:31:11 pm »
"Disney's the lion king" on Broadway is probably my favorite musical production of all time. I love how they go on different methods of transportation and start singing songs to promote their shows