Author Topic: Great People  (Read 891 times)

Offline Flinch

• LOSER-MAGNET
  • Blue Level
  • Mince Pies: 683
  • I'm just default awesome
    • The Ferret's Den
Great People
« on: June 09, 2007, 08:36:33 pm »
Today this guy spoke to some of us soldiers at a Prayer Breakfast: http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/07/scott_smiley_so.html

That article really cannot do justice to this man. The guy was Infantry, Ranger, West Point graduate, even has military scuba training. He's a hardcore soldier, a warrior through and through, and he was almost discharged because he lost his sight in a damn bombing. Imagine this: the last thing you saw in your life was the man who detonated the bomb. That's an image that sticks with him. Yet he has fought to stay in the military and he talked about how his faith in God has been more crucial now than ever. I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'm just sharing his story because I think he's an inspiration. Because he fought to stay in, he is still a Captain in the US Army. He is a very cool guy, I feel very lucky that he came to talk to us. His story is really amazing, I wish that article did more justice to him.

Anyways, how about everyone else? Share some people that you feel are an inspiration!
President: "I just don't get kids, remind me to sign that abortion bill!"

Offline AK

• Blue Level
  • Mince Pies: 95
  • I need a fix, cos' I'm going down
Re: Great People
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 08:48:32 pm »
Any of our countries founding fathers. They gave me the country I love and the freedoms that I enjoy and would die to protect, so I figure I ought to at least owe them my respect.

Which is also probably why I've wanted to be military my whole life, I've wanted to be a Marine as long as I can remember. Two years left until I can enlist, and I'm thinking about joining the Delayed Entry Program this year so I can get into shape.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 08:52:50 pm by onotd3 »
Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline Flinch

• LOSER-MAGNET
  • Blue Level
  • Mince Pies: 683
  • I'm just default awesome
    • The Ferret's Den
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 07:43:13 pm »
Oh my God do it. Seriously. If I had known what it was going to be like I would have joined the Marines instead of the Army. After what I've seen, going through the Army training and then talking to Marines that are training here the Marines are harder, more disciplined, and more professional that most Army soldiers. I mean, I'm proud to be in the Army, but if I was going to go for another branch it would definitely be the Marines.

Just don't go for the Air Force or Navy. Nothing against them, but if you want intense training they are NOT the way to go.
President: "I just don't get kids, remind me to sign that abortion bill!"

Offline Flarecat

• The cat who could code
  • Yellow Level
  • Mince Pies: 25
  • Contrary to popular views, the 'net is for cats
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 08:43:37 pm »
I draw my inspiration from my own experiances and from ideas and methods;that does not include people. I find that people are all flawed and imperfect (which is the point I made in my father's eulogy), and their ideas and methods are of far more use to me than their corporeal form.

It is a rational thing, I know.

Offline Airbag!

• Green Level
  • Mince Pies: 27
  • Desudesu.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 01:47:20 pm »
    To me, Langston Hughes is a great inspiration.  As a frequent writer, I've taken most of my inspiration from his stories.  I also find that System of a Down's Serj Tankian, who is working to raise awareness of a genocide in Armenia and is frequently involved in D.A.R.E. is another inspiration.  In my short-stories, where racism, war, and genocide are common, the stories and music of these two men are incredibly inspiring.
Mate of Shwintay!

Offline Clockwork?

• عَدَم الجَوَاب جَوَاب
  • Yellow Level
  • Mince Pies: 6
  • I lol'd.
    • It's mah Facebook!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 04:09:15 pm »
Perhaps one of the most inspiring people to me is Leon Trotsky. In addition to being a reader of his books and theories, he also greatly inspired me to stand up for my beliefs, as he did with the Left Opposition against Stalin, for which he was eventually exiled and murdered. Reading his material has also encouraged my research into the immense world of politics and philosophy as well, and that why he has been a great influence on me.
Was hilft laufen, wenn man nicht auf den rechten Weg ist?

Offline Eddy

• Blue Level
  • Mince Pies: 671
  • Gone for good.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 04:25:59 pm »
I'd not recommend the Marines to anyone, some of the stuff I've heard makes me cringe. The phrase, 'Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential' was thought up for a reason.

As for inspiring people...there's loads...and I honestly can't be bothered typing an essay at the moment...I will when I feel more literate!

Offline Aerion

• The local mellow, game-playing, daydreaming, philosophical wolf-boy
  • Blue Level
  • Mince Pies: 43
  • Remaining lives: 1
    • My scrap book of ideas and misc. (feel free to post)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 05:05:35 pm »
Socrates and Jesus. I know Jesus has gained some bad reputations lately, but jihad is not his fault, it's idiots misunderstanding him.
Both of them have excellent quotes, and both were suposively (because both are only mentioned in books, no physical proof) very calm no matter what happened. If you can be as wise as Socrates, follow "the golden rule", and work against as many things as Jesus did, you would become famous. And I mean REALLY famous.
"Life's journey is not about arriving at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride""
"Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means you are two steps ahead"
"Invoke not common sense, for it is not common"
"A life without joy is a wasted one, and you got but one to waste."
"To touch the clouds, you need to reach for the stars"
Fantasy games are for n00bs, try playing a game about reality