Author Topic: Heretic by Rukis  (Read 811 times)

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 38
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
Heretic by Rukis
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:34:31 pm »
Thos familiar with Rukis and her work with 'Red Lantern' as well as 'Cruelty' know her as not only as an unbelievably talented artist, but an astounding writer! :) This is the first published book she's ever written, telling the story of Luther and how certain events led to Red Lantern.

9 years beforehand, Luther is convicted for homosexuality after the death of his secret lover (an Admiral of the Amurescan Navy) and is condemned to die. However, a nobleman named Lord Denholme offers him a chance by marrying his daughter named Delilah. Why? The reason for this is because a despised heir to a wealthy family forcibly got her pregnant and Lord Denholme (according to the law) has to either make him the next heir to the Denholme fortune or have Luther take charge. And from that, we see how everything transpires to Luther becoming who he is in 'Red Lantern'.

This is an unbelievable book. This is a perfect read for those interested in reading a prequel to 'Red Lantern', but also as a stand-alone novel. The pacing is perfect, the combat intense, the writing gorgeous, the setting of the story beyond incredible, and I'm just gonna say it: Luther is a badass character. He can have his intense and fierce moments but also his kind and thoughtful moments, which leads to drama that we feel for every character in 'Heretic', from Lucius, Delilah, Joannes, Mikhail, and even the children Luther raises :)

11/10 :lol-fox:
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Heretic by Rukis
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 10:40:36 am »
I've read both Heretic and Off the Beaten Path by her and she succeeds in making us feel for the characters just as well as she does in Cruelty and Red Lantern. And the whole relationship dynamic between Luther and Mikhail is pretty adorable. Mikhail is a cutie.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.