Author Topic: Database-Related Outage  (Read 640 times)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Database-Related Outage
« on: June 15, 2007, 12:38:21 am »
Earlier this evening, some of you encountered an error that looked something like this:  "User 'lupiniau_ft2' has exceeded the 'max_questions' source (current value: 50000)"

I apologize for this issue, it basically means we're a victim of our own success.  The site connects to the database server using its own username and password, and then accesses the database as if it were a user.  To prevent overloads (we're on a shared-hosting system currently), each database user is limited to a set number of queries per hour.  If this limit is exceeded, the server locks out that account temporarily.  Hence, the above-mentioned message.

Unfortunately, being on shared hosting means that I don't have root-level access to the server, and therefore I can't change the load cap (one of many reasons why I'm buying a co-located server).  But, I have a few tricks to work around it for the time being.  I'll be applying a home-brewed patch that the admin of another site I host came up with, and that should prevent us from ever seeing that error.

Again, sorry for the outage, but all is peachy now.  And, to help keep things like this from happening again (we'll never have this problem on the new server), I humbly ask anyone who is able to donate to the New Lupinia Server fund, every little bit helps.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:42:28 am by Felix Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Re: Database-Related Outage
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 03:27:30 am »
And, the patched config file is up and working.  If for any reason you get a 404 error or a database error, do a forced refresh (Ctrl+Refresh in IE, not sure about Firefox) and it should come back.  This will hold us over until we get to the new server.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3