Author Topic: I can't get the motivation to get my work done.  (Read 545 times)

Offline Skyy

• Green Level
  • Candies: 107
I can't get the motivation to get my work done.
« on: December 11, 2014, 01:50:43 pm »
I go to a relatively unique school.  It's completely project based, with no normal 'math classes' or whatever.  You make your own projects, like based around economics, or even in one of my seminars(that's what they call classes), I just wrote a short story.  They give you a rough deadline in September, and give you work time for the term.  I'm a freshman, so it's my first year here, and I decided I was gonna try really hard.  Which is what I did for the first halves of the projects... and then I said "I'll do them later.  I have plenty of time".  And now, with he term ending text week, I just rushed through all my projects, having to get them done.  It's not even close to my best work, and my teachers say that they're 'disappointed'.  Any tips you could give a little freshman fox on completely his homework?

Offline Raccoaster

• A second-hand goods enthusiast
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
  • Raccoaster is kill
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
Re: I can't get the motivation to get my work done.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 10:01:39 pm »
You have no idea how close this hits to home. I can almost never get motivation to do work. Sorry I don't have any advice to give but I'm sure someone here has to know how to get motivated... right?
Coaster element of the forever :p

Skyrush's stengel dive! The most intense element I have ever experienced that combines unbelievable laterals with thigh crushing airtime. Insane is an understatement.
RIDE POV LINK(Element at 0:41)

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:13:34 pm »
Here are some tips

1. Dont do what i'm doing right now, by being distracted when studying. Seriously, i have this bad habit, but i cant help myself sometimes when it comes to referring to online sources in order to study. Pull yourself away from distractions, and try to get somewhere you can get stuff done. Go to a library if you have to if you constantly see yourself being distracted by games on your computer.
2. Have a schedule! Always make sure you know when you have due dates and when things are upcoming. This allows you to plan around for events that you may be occupied with, and also assign yourself some mock "Due dates" where you can finish sections of your assignment before its due
3. Divide your work up into manageable chunks, set dates for each chunk to be due. This should allow you to space up time to work on a single project as well as get you motivated because one chunk will be "easy to accomplish".
4. Not sure if this is applicable, but prioritize. There is this fun lecture link here about making priorities and using a chart to manage what you are going to do first. Its a fun lecture to sit through (bit old though)
5. Try to reward yourself for staying on task. Helps keep motivation up.

Ill think of more when i'm actually doing what i say i should be doing...
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 10:46:31 pm »
I know how you feel. Right now I have a scholarship deadline coming up on Monday and I need five pages of writing portfolio. Since most of the creative writing I have is not stuff that I can submit for a college scholarship (not polished, experimental crap), I have to write a whole portfolio by Monday.
One of the things that helped me, though, was sitting down and saying, "I'm going to get this done today," and then actually following through with it. I wrote my regular application essay in one day, I wrote a newspaper story one day, and then I wrote a fiction piece this afternoon for the scholarship application. But you actually have to follow through with it. The fact that that scholarship deadline is fixed and could mean the difference between my top choice and my third choice school was motivation for me to get it done. I was able to completely block out everything else and focus only on my writing. I guess you could say I was "in the zone." Which is what you need. You need to realize that deadlines are fixed and that they're not going to move just because you don't have your stuff done, and you need to tell yourself that you're going to do things and then go and do them.

Also, it might help to shut off the wireless Internet access on your computer when you're working, that way you're not tempted to get distracted and you don't have little notifications popping up all the time.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

Offline twinArmageddons

• Uh, hey.
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 4
  • Sounds like something Alan Wake would say.
    • DeviantArt - doubleArmageddons
    • FurAffinity - doubleArmageddons
  • Fursona Species: Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 09:32:19 am »
I had this problem last year.
I was getting picked on bad, and I lost hope to do any work. The only reason I passed was because of a single A that managed to drag me out the hole.

Now I'm better off. My advice is do it a slow but constant pace.
 :fox-:P:
  • Pronouns: the kid/their/them
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."

Aristotle.