Author Topic: Colleges for me?  (Read 681 times)

Offline Assan

• It is pronounced Ah-San
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 122
  • Beep
    • DeviantArt - Assan Dracomorph
    • FurAffinity - Assan
    • Dungeon Master's Compedium
  • Fursona Species: Golden Dragon
Colleges for me?
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:53:57 pm »
So I am looking at colleges lately for game programming/development and having trouble, really just overwhelmed by the whole processes. I have looked at a few but if I see them again it would just make me feel better about my choice. Okay my question is, What are some good colleges for Video Game Programming/Development?

Also another question for those of you currently in college or for the older members done with college, How did you go about finding/choosing your college.

(Really I could use all the help I can get, feeling really overwhelmed by it.) Appreciate it  :fox-:):
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Tiny Bisexual Pride Dragon -> Now Tiny Rainbow Hearts ->
Hope you enjoyed  :fox-:P:

Offline Skiffy Wolf

• Green Level
  • Candies: 26
  • No idea what I'm supposed to put here.
    • DeviantArt - Charlie-Fan
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Colleges for me?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 02:28:31 am »
I don't really know if you'll be able to but I'm looking at going to this uni for Game Programming in 2016. http://mediadesignschool.com/
And I plan on taking this course: http://mediadesignschool.com/courses/game-programming

Really expensive for international students though. But here's an option for you now.

Offline Scuffy

• freshhh
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 20
  • I like dogs.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:33:07 am »
Just make a stupid iPhone game and skip college you'll make better money

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 585
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:47:57 pm »
I'm a huge community college advocate, so I'm gonna recommend that at first. Its way cheaper, and honestly your first couple of years are mostly gen ed anyways, so no sense paying university prices for them. Plus, you can take some career-related classes to see if you'd really be interested, and network and stuff.
I can't recommend any universities for game programming, but I WILL say that with the more creative majors, your work matters more than what university you went to. I know programming isn't essentially creative, but I think some of the same reasoning applies. Even if you go to a prestigious university, if your work is bad or you don't have proper work skills, you won't be hired.

That being said, maybe look into what specifically you want to do in terms of programming? Most colleges have career placement programs/connections with certain companies, so if you wanna work for a specific company, you could factor that in. You should also definitely be looking at scholarships; especially if you wanna go out-of-state, which gets insanely expensive. Scholarships can help you afford to go to a college you normally wouldn't be able to, or convince you to go to a specific school (if you're money-minded) if you get a full ride or something. I'm sure your school has some sort of career resource center who can point you to scholarship search websites, and help you narrow your choices down.

There's nothing wrong with feeling overwhelmed by this. College is a huge decision and it seems like the search and applications never end @@ If you want any more specific help, feel free to PM me any time. I'll be a super-senior in college next year (I changed majors so I'll be in school longer than 4 years) & have went to multiple colleges, so I'm no stranger to this process  :fox-:P: Good luck!
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - androsexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline zspartancats

• Spartan
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 59
  • I AM A RHINO!
    • DeviantArt - zspartancats
    • FurAffinity - zspartancats
    • LiveJournal - zspartancats
  • Fursona Species: Rhino
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 02:57:44 pm »
I'm a huge community college advocate, so I'm gonna recommend that at first. Its way cheaper, and honestly your first couple of years are mostly gen ed anyways, so no sense paying university prices for them. Plus, you can take some career-related

I'm with Panda. Go to your local community college and get the basics out of the way. So far, my first semester of community college has cost me less than a thousand dollars. Also, many of the advisors will be glad to assist you in transferring to a bigger college.

Avoid The Art Institutes and Full Sail. I've been told they are over priced and their degrees aren't that valued.

When it comes to game programming/development, a nice portfolio of projects you've worked on is better than some degrees. So, find out which colleges focuses on you working on projects.

Offline End

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 406
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »
I'm a huge community college advocate, so I'm gonna recommend that at first. Its way cheaper, and honestly your first couple of years are mostly gen ed anyways, so no sense paying university prices for them. Plus, you can take some career-related

I'm with Panda. Go to your local community college and get the basics out of the way. So far, my first semester of community college has cost me less than a thousand dollars. Also, many of the advisors will be glad to assist you in transferring to a bigger college.

Avoid The Art Institutes and Full Sail. I've been told they are over priced and their degrees aren't that valued.

When it comes to game programming/development, a nice portfolio of projects you've worked on is better than some degrees. So, find out which colleges focuses on you working on projects.
Also note that if you go to a community college, some of them offer transcripts for you to enter a different college with your desired major  to go there.