Author Topic: "Star Wars: KotOR II" crashing  (Read 272 times)

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
"Star Wars: KotOR II" crashing
« on: December 25, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »
Hi everyone,
So for Christmas, my brother bought me Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II for PC. I tried to install it on my old laptop (2gb RAM, Windows Vista) and it crashed three times during the installation. I restarted it from the beginning each time and it just crashed again. So I tried installing it on another laptop that has Windows XP and 1gb RAM and it installed fine, but it crashed once I tried to play it. I tried it two more times and it crashed every time. I'm pretty sure that both computers met the minimum operating requirements, so the fact that it's crashed six times on two different machines leads me to believe that the game itself is defective.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with the game before? If so, what did you have to do to resolve them? I'm really not sure what's going on since almost all of the other games I have worked fine.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

Offline Skiffy Wolf

• Green Level
  • Candies: 26
  • No idea what I'm supposed to put here.
    • DeviantArt - Charlie-Fan
Re: "Star Wars: KotOR II" crashing
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 04:24:35 pm »
Is this off a disc?

Offline Teapot

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 139
  • I'm full of coffee
  • Fursona Species: Catahoula Leopard Dog
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 04:35:02 pm »
If it's any help I use to own this game on disk and it was always having problems. Did a bit of research and it turns out that rather like the Force Unleashed series, it's always had problems on PC. Many people report crashes when certain events happen (most notably the first level when you enter the mining tunnels) or certain locations are entered. In my experience its simply down to the fact that it's a broken game.
-inspirational quote-

(Avatar by Shia)

Offline zspartancats

• Spartan
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 59
  • I AM A RHINO!
    • DeviantArt - zspartancats
    • FurAffinity - zspartancats
    • LiveJournal - zspartancats
  • Fursona Species: Rhino
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 08:38:27 pm »
If you bought it on Steam, you should be fine on patches. Now, if you found the CD version, you may need to patch the game. You can also check out this thread on Steam for help  http://steamcommunity.com/app/208580/discussions/0/864973760760544824/

KOTOR 2 was a finicky game but I was playing it on Windows 7 .

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 05:52:09 pm »
It is off a disc, which is why I have to use the older machines. My new one does not have a disc drive, otherwise I would be using it. It just seems absurd to me that it would crash six out of six times I tried to get it to work. I think I'm going to try it on my mom's computer, which runs Windows 7 and has a drive, and see if I can't get it to work on there.

I've never played the Force Unleashed ones on PC, but I have several other Star Wars games for PC and the only one I've had a problem with is Battlefront 2; it crashes any time I try to start a battle on Naboo. Battlefront 1, Republic Commando, Jedi Knight 1 & 2, Starfighter, and both Empire at War games work fine; which is why I'm a little surprised that I'm having problems with this one.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.