Author Topic: Legacy Forge's L32 Sword  (Read 779 times)

Offline zspartancats

• Spartan
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 59
  • I AM A RHINO!
    • DeviantArt - zspartancats
    • FurAffinity - zspartancats
    • LiveJournal - zspartancats
  • Fursona Species: Rhino
Legacy Forge's L32 Sword
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:02:58 pm »
Is this the first sword review on Furry Teens?! I hope somebody else is interested in swords! If this goes well I may post a review about my waster (Practice sword).

As an avid history fan and newbie HEMA enthusiast, I love medieval warfare. So, being able to own a functional sword is great!  Let start this review off by talking about my sword.

This sword was made by Legacy Forge. They are located in Texas and all of their products are made in the USA. Here is a link to their site. http://legacyforge.net/index.html  You can also find them set up at a few renaissance fairs too. Which is where I bought  my L32 Sword. Link to the sword I bought ( http://legacyforge.net/lightswords.html )

The L32 is a generic arming sword with a blade length of 32 inches and an 1 inch width. This sword doesn't have an edge or a point due to it being for fencing and reenactments/stage fighting. The grip on the sword can easily be gripped by your whole hand plus a few extra fingers. My biggest gripe about this sword is the cropper cord around the grip. It is meant to hold the fabric to the grip but it isn't the most comfy to handle for long periods of time. So, I always wear gloves when handling it for long periods of time. The pommel is peened and the nut has grinned and smooth down.

My sword also came with a leather scabbard that fits around a belt. The leather scabbard is nothing to write home about but it does hold up. I also bought a cleaning kit, which does the job and the oil spray doesn't smell that bad. It is a secret mix of oils and sage, so it smells like a spice cabinet. 

All together the L32 cost me around $260 for the sword, scabbard, and cleaning kit. It also can with a life time warranty, so if I damage the blade, it can be repaired for free. The price range isn't that bad for someone's first sword. It isn't the prettiest but it is cheap enough to get your feet wet. It is also made well enough were it can actual be used and not hung on a wall.

Lets talk about how it handles. Other than the slightly uncomfortable grip, it handles almost like a true combat sword. It is a bit more on the heavier side due to it being practice/stage combat blade. It isn't too heavy to be historical inaccurate. It can be evenly balanced on one finger. So, handling is good but not perfect. You can easily swing the sword around and move fast enough to get into a block.

Overall, I love this sword. It is my first real sword and it will always hold a special place in my heart. The price range is great for beginners but for avid sword enthusiast, this blade is a bit on the dull side. The LS32 is a great first sword and I would recommended it to anyone starting a sword collection. I would also tell them to watch out for sales at http://www.kultofathena.com/ . Where can you could get a better blade for around the same price but you've got to know what to avoid first.

Time for some photos! The photos aren't the best quality since I've got shaky hands.
The blade plus a cat

The grip and guard

Holding the blade

Sword in scabbard

I can post more photos if anybody wants to see more!

Thanks for reading my review!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:09:19 pm by zspartancats »

Offline Faithfull

• Always give %100
  • Candies: 328
  • Unless your giving blood. Save some for me, geeze.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
Re: Legacy Forge's L32 Sword
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 02:36:13 am »
It might not be much to look at, but for a first blade, its a good one. I would love to see any photos of your sword, maybe try some poses.... you can Bloch out your face if wanted :fox-:P:
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon 1/2 by Serana, 1/2 myself
⥿

Offline zspartancats

• Spartan
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 59
  • I AM A RHINO!
    • DeviantArt - zspartancats
    • FurAffinity - zspartancats
    • LiveJournal - zspartancats
  • Fursona Species: Rhino
Re: Legacy Forge's L32 Sword
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 12:14:12 pm »
It might not be much to look at, but for a first blade, its a good one. I would love to see any photos of your sword, maybe try some poses.... you can Bloch out your face if wanted :fox-:P:

I could do that and maybe make a few gifs of it in action. It would have to wait until I get a day off from work.