Author Topic: Personality Tests  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Flarecat

• The cat who could code
  • Yellow Level
  • Mince Pies: 25
  • Contrary to popular views, the 'net is for cats
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
Personality Tests
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:36:21 pm »
In the teen health forum there was a thread which turned from it's original subject to that of personality tests, and the question was asked as to some links for good one. I must start by saying that all personality tests are different although the two main ones (MBTI and 5-factor) are based on decades of research and study (or in the case of the MBTI, all sorts of theory). I have used both in experiments done at my school and made the MBTI types a frequent topic of discussions and arguments.

My study into personality theory has  helped me understand the human race better (As well as perking the interest in psychology in others), as well has allowed me to better understand the lifelong problems I have had with certain "types" of people.

Here is some quotes from the Wikipedia article (pretty accurate actualy) explaining what the MBTI is:

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is a personality indicator designed to assist individuals to identify their significant personal preferences. Katharine Cook Briggs and her daughter Isabel Briggs Myers developed the Indicator during World War II, and its criteria follow from Carl Jung's theories in his work Psychological Types.

I suggest you read the article (one of wikipedia's better ones) to understand the limitations of the MBTI as well as what your results mean. I would be happy to explain someone's results to them  (but take them with a grain of salt as I have no degree in Psychology but instead have researched and pondered this subject for months).

Next is the Five-factor model, which is based on much more science than the MBTI and is more accepted in the world of psychology. The 5-factor model overcomes many of the common limitations of the MBTI (such as those with weak scores), leading to a better test. However, for self-help purposes, I find that the MBTI is more effective in helping people understand themselves than just the percentages and complicated theory of the 5-factor model.

But enough psycho-babble (sorry no techno-babble Felix), here are the links to the tests (I suggest you start with the MBTI one first as iit is easier to understand)

If you want, you can post your scores in this thread...that will provide for some discussion about each other.

MBTI test

And to a good 5 factor one:

Big 5 Test

Offline Flarecat

• The cat who could code
  • Yellow Level
Re: Personality Tests
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 01:26:29 pm »
Wow...I get asked for links and no one responds...

Offline Kyfoodo

• Orange Level
  • Mince Pies: 13
  • OMGZ! I'm not dead and stuff!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 02:24:36 pm »
 :( Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the links the first ones good but I just think way too much for the second one. I'll sit there and then debate it in my head until I'm not sure what to put at all. So I can't really trust the results of the second one all that much.

Offline Kyfoodo

• Orange Level
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 02:43:07 pm »
Actually I would go as far as saying the first one got me down to a tee. Apparently I'm an INFP which when I read the description was very accurate to me at least.

Offline TheDolphin

• Yellow Level
  • Je ne parle pas anglais
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 03:24:10 pm »
I don't know, I really do like to hear about those psychology ideas, it can provide a better understanding and it develop our thinking over things we don't really see.

But those are english tests and I have a lot of trouble answering to those question and understanding them, therefore it's not really accurate for me, I'd need someone by my side describing every question to me ^^.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate...

Hey, did you know if you say "Orange" really slowly it sounds like gullible?

Offline Flarecat

• The cat who could code
  • Yellow Level
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 07:33:29 pm »
Dolphin....thats what I am for. *pets kitty*

Offline TheDolphin

• Yellow Level
  • Je ne parle pas anglais
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 12:05:46 am »
*purrrrs*

I know I already did it with you, but I think I should redo it more accurately. You're up?
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate...

Hey, did you know if you say "Orange" really slowly it sounds like gullible?

Offline Flarecat

• The cat who could code
  • Yellow Level
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 05:41:56 pm »
Yes I am...and I am now armed with the information contained in David Keirsey's Please Understand Me II...meaning I am just that much more awesome.

I am an ENTJ (though I have clear traits from other types such as INTJs and INFJs)

In other words, I am a rare breed built to command forces in war (or any other enterprise in which the marshaling and directing of forces are necessary for the achievement of a strategic end).

Think Generals Norman Schwarzkopf, MacArthur, Marshal...

Since I do know so much about this...if you want to talk to me kyf (or anyone)....I can explain beyond what the description can what your results mean.

Offline Kyfoodo

• Orange Level
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 02:20:41 pm »
K I added you!

Offline Aerion

• The local mellow, game-playing, daydreaming, philosophical wolf-boy
  • Blue Level
  • Mince Pies: 43
  • Remaining lives: 1
    • My scrap book of ideas and misc. (feel free to post)
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 03:10:25 pm »
The first one was really good, not only was it yes/no questions, it also hit me head on. I got INTP, and the first two lines on the description made me laugh because it's what people often complain about about me.
The other was too many choices on each, so it's impossible to get 100% right, because more than three choices make it incorrect almost by defenition (and the three choices would be yes/no/don't care)
"Life's journey is not about arriving at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride""
"Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means you are two steps ahead"
"Invoke not common sense, for it is not common"
"A life without joy is a wasted one, and you got but one to waste."
"To touch the clouds, you need to reach for the stars"
Fantasy games are for n00bs, try playing a game about reality