Author Topic: Constantly stressed body  (Read 499 times)

Offline Eriadam

• The Scarfed One
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 245
  • Tell me if you need help. I am always there for ya
  • Fursona Species: Light-Blue Wolf
Constantly stressed body
« on: February 15, 2015, 10:04:00 am »
I'm participating in a Musical Theater right now, and I'm playing as a very self-confident character, always trying to get all attention, always relaxed, self confident, just making as wide moves as possible. Well, the problem is I'm naturally shy person, and I'm not quite used to acting like my character. Even if I make myself feel confident, my body is always stressed, and when we practice whole thing everyone can see it. I really like my role, but I cant find way to stop my body from being stressed ( even if my mind is relaxed ). Any advices?  :fox-:):

(I do realise it's a small problem compared to what others have to go through in their life, and I kinda feel bad that I'm even considering it a problem. But we are starting to play in front of people very soon, and I need to get rid of all body stress to play good.)

''And if you can’t see anything beautiful about yourself
Get a better mirror
Look a little closer, Stare a little longer
Because there’s something inside you, that made you keep trying despite everyone who told you to quit''

Offline Lucius.

• Friend please...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 187
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
Re: Constantly stressed body
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:17:51 am »
I had the same problem as you when I used to take acting as a hobby.

What I found is that sometimes when you do fake something, your mind may actually start believing in it.
There was a scientific study where half the participants were told to hold a pencil in their mouth (to stimulate a fake smile) and the other half didn't. They then watched a comedy cartoon TV show. The participants with the pencil between their teeth then reported to have enjoyed the show more than those who did not. Results? Faking a smile could actually improve your mood.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/07/study-forcing-a-smile-genuinely-decreases-stress/260513/

Basically... what I'm saying is... act confident as much as possible. Getting used to acting confident in real life will hopefully help your performance on stage.
Icon by Nagi. :rose:

Offline Eriadam

• The Scarfed One
  • Blue Level
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:39:02 am »
I had the same problem as you when I used to take acting as a hobby.

What I found is that sometimes when you do fake something, your mind may actually start believing in it.
There was a scientific study where half the participants were told to hold a pencil in their mouth (to stimulate a fake smile) and the other half didn't. They then watched a comedy cartoon TV show. The participants with the pencil between their teeth then reported to have enjoyed the show more than those who did not. Results? Faking a smile could actually improve your mood.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/07/study-forcing-a-smile-genuinely-decreases-stress/260513/

Basically... what I'm saying is... act confident as much as possible. Getting used to acting confident in real life will hopefully help your performance on stage.

Seems like a good idea I'll try it, thanks  :fox-;):

Get a better mirror
Because there’s something inside you, that made you keep trying despite everyone who told you to quit''

Offline End

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 406
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 11:54:36 am »
If there's someone you know with apersonality like that, and you have a dislike for them then you could actually act like that to mock them. It works on occasions. Another thing is that once you put on the costume it'll be incredibly different.
Have you tried rehearsing the character to see how it feels being like that? In a room away from everyone and with no mirrors try going over the script a few times while imagining to be the character. Sorry if none of this helps, It's been a while since I was in a production

Offline Eriadam

• The Scarfed One
  • Blue Level
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 12:04:38 pm »
If there's someone you know with apersonality like that, and you have a dislike for them then you could actually act like that to mock them. It works on occasions. Another thing is that once you put on the costume it'll be incredibly different.
Have you tried rehearsing the character to see how it feels being like that? In a room away from everyone and with no mirrors try going over the script a few times while imagining to be the character. Sorry if none of this helps, It's been a while since I was in a production

There is person I dislike, but he's personality is not like that. He's more of... Dominant, gross person ( I saw him once showing his... Well, you know to girls in school corridor... So yeah... ). I actually tried to act like my character but without mirriors. We have like 1 mirror in house, and you can see it from living room, where there is always someone. But I'll try it today ;) Thank you  :lol-fox:

Get a better mirror