Author Topic: ACT help and/or tips? (PLEASE!!!)  (Read 456 times)

Offline The hypnotized badger

• Green Level
  • Candies: 40
  • Oh for the love of Avril Lavigne...
    • FurAffinity - skunkmaster111
  • Fursona Species: badger
ACT help and/or tips? (PLEASE!!!)
« on: February 20, 2015, 12:07:51 pm »
Goodness gracious the ACTs are freaking me out, i mean it's a four hour long test, and it determines your whole future, i mean why is there so much pressure on this it's not even funny, so does anyone have any tips, suggestions, advice or anything on this, because I take it an April and I am not looking forward to it, I recently got a prep book that's like 400 pages long... and my dad signed me up for a prep course in march but this is something i need as much help on as i can get because in 10th grade i didnt study for the PACTs or the PSATS and i didnt do very well on them because then i didnt know how important they would be, now im an A/B student and last year i did very well on my End of Instruction standardized tests (I got advanced martks on three of the four and the fourth was close) but they were hard and i think it was a fluke and the ACTs are much harder as I've heard and the prep book said to ask around for help and or tips so if anyone has any ideas or strategies please let me know because this test makes me want to swallow the blue stuff under the sink... (sarcasm) and standardized test are always uncomfortable for me, i usually end up breathing heavily and get really jittery, and im not going to even tell you how often  take huge tests and end up having to go to the restroom in the middle of it... (not a pleasant experience btw...) and that whole "get a good night sleep" thing is not easy because one, it asks you to get up at like 6 am to get ready and falling asleep the night before is not easy for the record, so please help me, this is like the most important test of my teenage life.
  • Pronouns: he/him/his but doesnt mind if you say ze, zer, or zers
For the love of Avril Lavigne...!

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: ACT help and/or tips? (PLEASE!!!)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 04:07:55 pm »
I'm canadian, so i might get some of this info wrong, or it may not apply to the US. Also, ive only done prep for the SAT, but i know someone who took the ACT. (ive done samples of ACT tests)

The ACT test has a lot of questions, much more than the SAT. The questions are not heavy critical thinking questions, but more about if you can identify the problem quickly and accurately. So the most important component of this is speed. Make sure you at least read, and narrow your choices down for every question.  Use every minute to your advantage (it seems like a long time, but when you do the questions its actually not).

I dont know when you are taking the test, but you do have to remember that you can take the ACT again if you need to. 

There are of course general multiple choice testing strategies, but i'm pretty sure you book would have you covered for it.
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)

Offline Assan

• It is pronounced Ah-San
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 122
  • Beep
    • DeviantArt - Assan Dracomorph
    • FurAffinity - Assan
    • Dungeon Master's Compedium
  • Fursona Species: Golden Dragon
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:53:08 pm »
Just don't freak out, me I almost missed it because the school told me the wrong location for it. It really is not that bad of a test, just go over the review packet maybe do a online practice test study up on the things you are unsure on and things should be fine.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Tiny Bisexual Pride Dragon -> Now Tiny Rainbow Hearts ->
Hope you enjoyed  :fox-:P:

Offline EclipsetheWolf

• FT's resident geek!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 19
  • Fursuit SOON!
  • Fursona Species: Main: wolf
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:20:58 pm »
I haven't taken them yet (im a freshman) but my brother got a 34 (for those who dont know, 36 is the best you can get) only because he ran out of time, the questions he had time to answer were all correct, so my advice time management, if you take more than two minutes without any progression on a question MOVE ON, dont waste time dilly dallying, and sometimes the questions later on can give hints to the subject of the question your were struggling with.

FCWf3a A C- D+++ H+ M? P++ R T++ W- Z- Sm RLCT a- cn++++ d+ e- f+ h* i++ j p+ sm

Offline Amelia

• Candy Witch
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 813
  • Boo
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Kangaroo
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 12:40:05 pm »
I'm Canadian so dont have to do the ACTs but have some tips for taking large tests that I'd thought I'd share. Make sure you do the practice questions and understand them, if you do them and get help with the questions you don't understand before the test then you should do good on the test :fox-:): try not to get too stressed out about it, it may be an important test but stressing won't help so try to let yourself relax (this can be a hard one to do). While taking the test don't spend too much time on any question, if you don't understand one skip it and come back to it at the end. I also find having a bottle of water helps, sometimes just taking a quick sip can help calm me down. Also setting up some sort of reward for after the test can help (planning to see a movie, going out for lunch etc), it keeps you motivated during the test since you know once it's done you have something fun to go do :fox-:):
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by Serena | Signature by SpazzCraft