Author Topic: 'Keeping You a Secret' by Julie Ann Peters  (Read 383 times)

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
'Keeping You a Secret' by Julie Ann Peters
« on: April 26, 2015, 05:52:16 pm »
I found this book while I was looking for some gay bildungsroman novels online. It's about a girl named Holland who finds herself falling for the new transfer student. The catch? Holland has a boyfriend, but the new student is a girl.

The book is written as a sort of stream-of-consciousness narrative, told from the point of view of the protagonist, Holland Jaeger. I really like the first-person style because it allows a reader to better relate to the characters than a third-person. It also makes them "come alive" better, in my mind. I also think Peters does a very good job of capturing how confusing it can be when you start to actively question your sexuality or when you first meet someone of the same sex who makes you feel "that way." She also does a good job of capturing the ugly side of being gay, from discrimination to homophobia to failed friendships and relationships. It's not all sunshine and rainbows (pun intended), and Peters makes sure to show this in her novel.

(If you haven't read the book, then you might want to skip the next part. It contains a sort-of/kind-of spoiler.)

The one problem I had with the book was the predictability. I've read several books within the "LGBT Teen Fiction" genre, and a lot of them seem to have the same basic plot structure: "straight" kid meets gay friend; kid develops feelings for friend; they start dating; kid loses other friends due to sexuality; kid has family troubles; kid and SO have a big fight; they make up and live happily ever after. I like the stories, and I can relate to some of them, but I feel like there just needs to be a bit more variation in the genre.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

Offline Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 828
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
Re: 'Keeping You a Secret' by Julie Ann Peters
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:01:08 am »
This book looks good, I've been looking for a new gay novel to read and this one looks interesting so I think I'll give this one a shot. thank you for sharing :fox-:):
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet