Author Topic: Help with College Narrative/Essay?  (Read 477 times)

Offline ⓐⓔⓢⓣⓗⓔⓣⓘⓒ ⓞⓣⓣⓔⓡ

• The ⓓⓐⓝⓚ otter
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 29
  • Oh, April Fool's is over? Eh, nobody will notice :
    • Colors! Live Gallery
  • Fursona Species: Mustelid - Otter
Help with College Narrative/Essay?
« on: May 14, 2015, 03:27:27 am »
So in English class I was asked to write a college essay for a peer editing session. The topic is "Something that Changed Your Life."

My main problem is starting it. There are so many things I could do, from joining this forum, to meeting my real-life friends, to meeting my girlfriend online, to technology and the Internet in general. I could even do a few of my teachers, as they have had a huge impact on me recently. The problem is that there is so much I want to talk about, that there is no way I could fit it all into one coherent page of writing.

How do I narrow it down?

Also, if anyone has experience in writing a college essay, can I get help with starting it? I've always been naturally bad at getting an intro for my papers. :sad-fox:
  • Pride Flag - demiboy
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: Anything!
Sample Text

Offline ArtificialSweetener

• "... follow out the happiest story—
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 166
  • It closes with a tomb!”
    • DeviantArt - I-Eat-Elves
    • FurAffinity - ArtificialSweetener
    • Twitter - CarcinogenSugar
  • Fursona Species: Dog Mutt
Re: Help with College Narrative/Essay?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 10:46:42 am »
Meeting friends and having inspiring teachers is great but it's probably a common essay unless you can make it funny or stand out some other way.

Joining this forum/ experiencing new things online is actually a very good topic. Just if you do decide to write it I would leave out the fact that it's a furry forum and just talk about it as a safe place to discuss things with people your age as well as share art/ writing/ etc that you may not feel comfortable sharing irl as well as how that has translated into real life. Such as making you less shy/ more confident and so on
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
“Stanzas” by Emily Brontë
My Skype is on my profile with other contact info. Don't hesitate to message me.

Offline Eagle God-Heart

• That Awsome Guy You Know
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 41
    • Twitter - @Eagle_GodHeart
  • Fursona Species: wolvinix
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 10:49:35 am »
if you want it to stand out just do it about anything "furry" remember even though we have ALOT of members were still a VERY small fandom.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
James 5:13-14 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/bible-verses-about-prayer-20-important-scripture-quotes-2/#ixzz3aE0MPhlo

Offline Eriadam

• The Scarfed One
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 244
  • Tell me if you need help. I am always there for ya
  • Fursona Species: Light-Blue Wolf
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 10:53:57 am »
Hmmmm... I think that the things that  change your personality/ your view on the world change your life the most... As Sweet'n'Scaley mentioned the forums is a great topic. It lets you find people like you/ friend like you, and just generally improve your life. It helps to set your opinions on everything for example too  :fox-:):

Hmm... I hope essay turns out great!  :lol-fox:

''And if you can’t see anything beautiful about yourself
Get a better mirror
Look a little closer, Stare a little longer
Because there’s something inside you, that made you keep trying despite everyone who told you to quit''

Offline ⓐⓔⓢⓣⓗⓔⓣⓘⓒ ⓞⓣⓣⓔⓡ

• The ⓓⓐⓝⓚ otter
  • Orange Level
    • Colors! Live Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:03:05 am »
Meeting friends and having inspiring teachers is great but it's probably a common essay unless you can make it funny or stand out some other way.

Joining this forum/ experiencing new things online is actually a very good topic. Just if you do decide to write it I would leave out the fact that it's a furry forum and just talk about it as a safe place to discuss things with people your age as well as share art/ writing/ etc that you may not feel comfortable sharing irl as well as how that has translated into real life. Such as making you less shy/ more confident and so on

Well it kinda has to be a common essay that was the assigned topic. But I understand what you're saying.

I was already kinda of planning how to write about my experiences on the Internet, especially here, because it has had a much huger impact on people than it usually does for others. I probably would leave out that this is a furry forum due to the negative connotation a lot of people have towards that particular fandom (mind you, my teacher and peers will be reading this in class). I probably will have a section of the essay dedicated to this place, as even though I'm rarely on I've met some truly amazing people during my stay.

if you want it to stand out just do it about anything "furry" remember even though we have ALOT of members were still a VERY small fandom.

As I just said, while I want it to stand out, I don't want to put anything too personal, because my classmates will be reading it. My school is in the sketchy part of town, I don't wanna get beat for something trivial.

Hmmmm... I think that the things that  change your personality/ your view on the world change your life the most... As Sweet'n'Scaley mentioned the forums is a great topic. It lets you find people like you/ friend like you, and just generally improve your life. It helps to set your opinions on everything for example too  :fox-:):

I think that the forum would be a great topic. Without it, I never would have met you, Eri, nor would I have a place where I feel even somewhat safe talking about things. Sure, I have real friends, teachers, and my girlfriend, but there are always things too personal for those kinds of relationships. Even though I'm never online, this place has really grown on me, and it's pretty much the only website I visit on my 3DS (besides  pokemondb to help build my new team in Pokemon AlphaSapphire).

I might not be on much, but I know that I have friends here and that I can always talk about my problems here.

And for that, I'm truly grateful. :hug:
  • Pride Flag - demiboy
  • Pride Flag - gay
Sample Text

Offline ⓐⓔⓢⓣⓗⓔⓣⓘⓒ ⓞⓣⓣⓔⓡ

• The ⓓⓐⓝⓚ otter
  • Orange Level
    • Colors! Live Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:03:36 am »

Well it kinda has to be a common essay that was the assigned topic. But I understand what you're saying.

I was already kinda of planning how to write about my experiences on the Internet, especially here, because it has had a much huger impact on me than it usually does for others. I probably would leave out that this is a furry forum due to the negative connotation a lot of people have towards that particular fandom (mind you, my teacher and peers will be reading this in class). I probably will have a section of the essay dedicated to this place, as even though I'm rarely on I've met some truly amazing people during my stay.

As I just said, while I want it to stand out, I don't want to put anything too personal, because my classmates will be reading it. My school is in the sketchy part of town, I don't wanna get beat for something trivial.

I think that the forum would be a great topic. Without it, I never would have met you, Eri, nor would I have a place where I feel even somewhat safe talking about things. Sure, I have real friends, teachers, and my girlfriend, but there are always things too personal for those kinds of relationships. Even though I'm never online, this place has really grown on me, and it's pretty much the only website I visit on my 3DS (besides  pokemondb to help build my new team in Pokemon AlphaSapphire).

I might not be on much, but I know that I have friends here and that I can always talk about my problems here.

And for that, I'm truly grateful. :hug:
  • Pride Flag - demiboy
  • Pride Flag - gay
Sample Text