Author Topic: Watership Down  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Grimmy

• Candies: 1
Watership Down
« on: July 15, 2007, 12:46:32 pm »
This is and always has been a favorite book of mine. It had some interesting points and places in the book. The fighting sequences, and the escapes in it were marvelously written. I have yet to see the movie, but i'm sure it will be great. This is a wonderful classic, and a good book, I suggest you go get it. It is rather long however, but I liked it quite alot, obviously. I guess i'll sum the book up a little for those who never heard of it.

On the back of the book - " One of the most beloved novels of our time, Richard Adams's WATERSHIP DOWN takes us to a world we have never truly seen: to the remarkable life that teems in the fields, forests and riverbanks far beyond our cities and towns. It is a powerful saga of courage, leadership and survival; and epic tale of a hardy band of adventurers forced to flee the destruction of their fragile community..and their trials and triumphs in the face of extraordinary adversity as they pursue the glorious dream called "Home" ".

My own words - This book is about a band of rouge rabbits, who left their warren after one of the smallest rabbits, Fiver, has a 'vision', much like a psycic. His vision is that the fields are covered in blood. Meaning the warren will be destroyed for the sake of the humans. They try to talk to the leader, and to others, to tell them it is not safe. Most of the rabbits, including the leader, refuse to believe such rubbish. The ones who believed, decided to team up with Hazel, the big brother of Fiver, and the leader of the rouge rabbits. And with that, the rabbits depart on their adventure to find a safe place to call "Home".

I highly suggest this book. :3
It took me ages to find the book + movie, but it was so worth it.

Offline Bunny_Earz

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 25
Re: Watership Down
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 02:13:48 am »
I love this book!  I haven't seen the movie either, but I think I've read it about 6 or 7 times.  It's a cool read and best of all it's got Bunnies!

Offline Jaxx

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • Current Species: Fennec Fox.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 07:17:49 pm »
One of the best books of all time. But I'm having a little trouble finding the movie. We had even ordered it off of eBay, but something happened, the store that supplied the guy we ordered it from wasn't gonna be stocked with it anymore or something.
It was made into a TV show too, and I used to watch it when I was younger, but it's since been taken off the air, and again, haven't come across it.

Offline WileEFox

• Red Level
  • Candies: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 01:49:52 am »
Ive heard of watership down, seen some parts of the movie, It looked cool but I never actually got around to reading it.  But I did also hear of another book/movie by the same writer called "Plague Dogs" ever hear of that?

Offline Ash Cat

• Red Level
  • Candies: 6
  • Viva la Furry!!!
    • FurAffinity - AshLabyrinth
  • Fursona Species: Black cat
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 11:41:50 am »
I saw the film when I was younger and was terrified by it. Watched it a few weeks ago and loved it. Haven't read the book though
We're all going to hell. Ah well, at least it's warm in there :D

Offline Perky

• Cookie Crazed Rabbit
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 18
  • Om nom nom. :3
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:31:57 am »
I read that book now at 18 years old and actually really enjoyed it, I loved the lore behind it. I was kind of going into it expecting very little, but the author did an excellent job of giving the rabbits a living sense of culture, and actually presented seemingly mundane parts of nature in an extremely compelling way. Also, the ending was awesome, I didn't even realize what was happening until the last couple of lines and was like "woah...that was the perfect ending for this book."
Replaced my photo shop addiction with an addiction to BASS! Not enough credible furry dj's in the fandom.
XBL GT: Captn Christmas

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:52:31 am »
I absolutely loved the book.
I read it oh, at leat 5 years ago, but it has still remained among my favourites.
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Roofus

• Resident Grumpy Old Fur
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 86
  • Whatupwidat?
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 09:36:20 am »
It's a good book, although personally I think the same topics were covered better in The Animals Of Farthing Wood series of books.

That said, the film of Watership Down is one of the best peices of 2d animation you'll see...I mean, John Hurt and Richard Briers are the two main characters! Kane from "Alien" and Tom from "The Good Life"!?

You can't get more British than that without crowns, overdrinking, and red jackets!

Offline Dawn Rain

• "Hippie girl who's obsessed with Simon & Garfunkel and birds"
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 4
  • Fly like a bird and be peacefully passive.
    • DeviantArt - wildleafcat22
    • FurAffinity - DawnRain
    • Twitter - QuestionTheCrow
  • Fursona Species: Cat and sometimes a crow
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 07:00:27 am »
I've found myself obsessed since I found out about the movie in April of 2010. Alot of writing inspiration has been because of Watership Down. I read the book back in January,if I ever had to chose a favorite character; it'd be really hard,each character is charming in their own ways, and each scene is captivating; yes,the book did drag on at some parts but books have to do that so they won't seem too short or too focused on one thing. I love both the book and movie pretty equally. P.S. "The field,it's covered in blood!".
Proud to be a Simon & Garfunkel fangirl~
Sounds of Silence~
"A rock feels no pain..and an island never cries." ~Simon & Garfunkel,I Am a Rock.
Peace on Earth through Love and Music.