Author Topic: Question about girl scouts/guides  (Read 583 times)

Offline ArtificialSweetener

• "... follow out the happiest story—
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 166
  • It closes with a tomb!”
    • DeviantArt - I-Eat-Elves
    • FurAffinity - ArtificialSweetener
    • Twitter - CarcinogenSugar
  • Fursona Species: Dog Mutt
Question about girl scouts/guides
« on: May 23, 2015, 10:08:00 pm »
Hey guys I'm working on my Mission Sisterhood Journey for Girl Scouts and one part is talking to other people and Girl Scouts from different countries and asking them questions about Scouts. You don't have to be a Girl Scout to answer, if your not from the USA and know about GS please feel free to respond. IDK if anyone on here is a girl scout but I guess I'll see...

So the questions are
Is Girl Scouting in your country and if it is are you a scout or do you know a girl who is a scout there; what is it like? Are there other cultural things there that help you define sisterhood and friendship for yourself?

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about Girl Scouts in America!
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
“Stanzas” by Emily Brontë
My Skype is on my profile with other contact info. Don't hesitate to message me.

Offline Amelia

• Candy Witch
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 813
  • Boo
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Kangaroo
Re: Question about girl scouts/guides
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:30:50 pm »
I've been a Canadian Girl Guide for over 10 years :fox-:): we do lots of things like crafts, games, learning outdoor skills, talking about world issues (especially ones relating to girls), camping, running activities for younger girls, and international travel. For me sisterhood and friendship is always being there to help one another through the good and the bad, most of my best and closest friends are from guiding. If you have anymore questions or want to know more about guiding in Canada feel free to ask me anytime :fox-:):
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by Serena | Signature by SpazzCraft

• Blue Level
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:50:19 pm »
Thanks so much for answering I do have a few other questions

Like are there any big activities that all girl scouts in your area participate in? For my state all the girls go to Camp Hoover once a year and we do all sorts of different activities.

Also do you think girls or girl scouts face any challenges in your country?

Being a girl scout I have certainly experienced some sexism and anti lgbt+ sentiments. My troop used to hold meetings in a church but we were kicked out after girl scouts said they would allow and support lgbt scouts and troop leaders. Also I often hear criticism from boy scouts that girl scout "aren't as serious". My troop volunteered at a recycling center and the man working there kept commenting about boy scouts being better. Also this year for the first time girl scouts help a pinewood derby for the younger girls. The boys have been doing this for years and it is a very serious event for them but the man who hosts it didn't seem to nearly care az much because it was girls this year. Have you ever experienced any challenges, similar or different?
My Skype is on my profile with other contact info. Don't hesitate to message me.

Offline Amelia

• Candy Witch
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 813
  • Boo
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Kangaroo
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:13:49 pm »
My group usually does a "co-op" camp in the fall, it's a big camp for guides and scouts in southern Ontario every year, they always have a special theme like next fall it's going to be Star Wars and its always lots of fun c: we also usually do a unit camp in the spring that the girls in our unit plan that is fun too since we can do pretty much whatever we want

My group also does a lot of travelling, I went to Our Cabana in 2012, Pax Lodge in 2014 and am going to Our Chalet in 2016. We do a lot of fun fundraising activities for them. Every year we run a big camp in the spring and the fall for the younger girls, we run all the activities, help prepare the food etc for them and they're always lots of fun to do. We also usually do program days for each of the younger branches, Sparks (ages 5-6), Brownies (ages 7-8), and guides (ages 9-11) where we do games, crafts and activities with the younger girls

Girl guide stereotypes and sexism are the two big issues we face. Most people know us as the girls who sell cookies and that's it, they don't know about all the other stuff we do. Scouts here is mostly for boys but girls are allowed to join it if there's a female leader for the group, most people see them as the ones who camp and learn outdoors skills while we just sit around doing "girly friendship stuff"  but we do the outdoorsy stuff too while also discussing issues relating to girls and women. At the co-op camp I mentioned before we get treated differently by the scouts since they think they're better, I usually just shrug it off but it is really annoying

Sorry my thoughts are kinda jumbled but I hope that's sort of what you were looking for c:
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by Serena | Signature by SpazzCraft

• Blue Level
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 07:00:37 pm »
Thanks for helping me complete my journey!

On a side note all that stuff you guys do sounds really cool we haven't ever traveled out of the country. Probably because as we've gotten older my troop keeps losing members so now its just me and a couple of others.

It's really annoying and kind of sad how everyone thinks girl scouts aren't serious as the boy scouts :/
Not surprised others have this problem too.
Thanks again!