Author Topic: Any thoughts - higher level mathmatics question  (Read 495 times)

Offline JJ Husky / James

• JJ 16 yr old Veterinary Ninja Pianist guy!
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 8
  • Music Is Life. Rolaplaying is Fun. Dass It ;D
    • DeviantArt - Diego Lawrence
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger
Any thoughts - higher level mathmatics question
« on: June 04, 2015, 07:01:23 am »
Soooo earlier today I partook in a mathmatics exam, and this one question came up that sumped even the best of us.

'Two numbers P and Q can be expressed in factors as such: P=2x3(to the power of k)x5
                                                                                      Q=2(to the poeer of k)x3x5
Their lowest common multiple is 180. Find the values of P, Q and k.                               '

Nobody understood what to do. Any thought guys?
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Martial arts is a way of expressing one's elegance combined with strength, agility and speed. Medicine is a way of showing compassion for others. Music is an expression of feeling. This is what describes me.

Offline Amelia

• Candy Witch
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 813
  • Boo
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Kangaroo
Re: Any thoughts - higher level mathmatics question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:33:35 am »
Im not great at higher levels of math and actually have no idea how to solve it fully but they look a lot like exponential equations. You could then possibly use the exponential function/equation and its rules or its inverse function the logarithmic function to start solving it? I'll try to work through it some more and see if I can come up with an answer but that looks like a possible starting point
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by Serena | Signature by SpazzCraft

Offline JJ Husky / James

• Orange Level
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:57:01 am »
I used some log functions to try and get the best of it but they all ked to a dead end. Its reallu buggering me because this was 4 marks of my exam wasted :L i tried fractioning it and repeating the square function but that didnt work, only gave me some rediculous answer, and the logs backed up on me. I dont know where to go from there :L
Martial arts is a way of expressing one's elegance combined with strength, agility and speed. Medicine is a way of showing compassion for others. Music is an expression of feeling. This is what describes me.

Offline JJ Husky / James

• Orange Level
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 05:35:54 pm »
DO NOT FEAR! I emailed my maths teacher, and within a couple hours i got this response.

'If you use a venn diagram or otherwise remove common factors then you get p = 2 x 3 (to the power k) x 5, q = 2 (to the power k)x3x5. Common factors are 2, 3 and 5 so remove each of these once from pxq so 5 x 3(to the power k)x 2(to the power k)= 180 then 5 x 6 (to the power k) = 180, divide by 5, therefore 6 (to the power k) = 36, hence k = 2 . I hope that helps.'

A simply divine and yet complex answer to what would seem a very, very confusing question. With k being 2 from a simple venn diagram, who would've thought?

This leaves the answer as, P=2x2x3x5=60, and Q=2x3x3x5=90, K=2. Guess we were over complicating it :L

Offline Amelia

• Candy Witch
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 813
  • Boo
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Kangaroo
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 07:41:05 pm »
That's a really confusing question :fox-:P: I'm glad your teacher was able to explain it. Seems pretty simple but I would have never thought to do that :$ good luck with the rest of your math!
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by Serena | Signature by SpazzCraft