Author Topic: How to really "get into" a book?  (Read 942 times)

Offline LavenderLion

• Fan of Aslan
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 3
  • Fursona Species: Lion
How to really "get into" a book?
« on: June 11, 2015, 06:03:03 pm »
(I know it's summer, and I'm not REQUIRED to read by anyone, but I figure it's better to know the answers ahead of time.)

So most of the english classes at my high school require reading a minimum of 3 full length books a month for a C grade. Doesn't sound that hard to you?
 Well, throw in needing constant stimulation, a gaming addiction, and having friends you like to talk to for as long as possible, and you have my dilemma.
 What I'm saying is I need to know how to "get into" a book so I see reading as fun thing, rather than a chore.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:19:17 pm by LavenderLion »
sie sind das essen und wir sind die jäger

Offline Sharkbait★

• gay purple sparkleshark
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 119
  • bee bop to the top
    • DeviantArt - sharkdivus
    • FurAffinity - Shark-Bait
  • Fursona Species: Bull shark
Re: How to really "get into" a book?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:50:58 pm »
If you find it really difficult to get into a book in the future and it ends up affecting your grade in English class, I'd recommend turning to the help of online notes. Like sparknotes, for example. To be honest, I don't think I've read a full book in school since 8th grade... (I'm a graduating senior now.)
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 177
  • STERLING
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 07:54:04 pm »
That's an insane amount of reading...I was in AP and I only had to read one (boring) classic novel.
If you have the option to choose these books defiantly choose ones you enjoy.

Or again just use notes. What I do is I look for youtube summaries and those help a lot.
A good channel for classic novels and shakespeare summaries is Thug Notes.

Also, some websites for really awesome notes:

Schmoop - this one is my favorite, some classic novel summaries have videos with them, very detailed notes, and very modern and easy to understand

SparkNotes - Of course...

Offline LavenderLion

• Fan of Aslan
  • Red Level
  • Fursona Species: Lion
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 09:11:09 pm »
That's an insane amount of reading...I was in AP and I only had to read one (boring) classic novel.

Or again just use notes. What I do is I look for youtube summaries and those help a lot.

Schmoop - this one is my favorite, some classic novel summaries have videos with them, very detailed notes, and very modern and easy to understand

Thank you very much. I'll take that into consideration next school year! Do they evaluate specific things like the theme/tone/ending?
sie sind das essen und wir sind die jäger

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 177
  • STERLING
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 09:50:55 pm »

Thank you very much. I'll take that into consideration next school year! Do they evaluate specific things like the theme/tone/ending?

Yes! Shmoop covers ALOT more than spark notes! They even cover the meaning of the title on most books and such haha :)
But definitely like don't just rely on youtube summaries because you'll miss a lot, but it's a good place to start and then read more into schmoop

Offline Vice The Fox

• That one weird guy with all the quotes
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • Ermagerd! owo
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 11:27:44 pm »
For me, I just have to find the right genre  :fox-:P:

Like I was in a bookstore and I saw they had a "Comedy" Section

And it was books like Howie Mandeles "Heres the deal: Don't touch me" and books like "Sleepwalk with me"
I bought em and they were great :P So maybe just go to your library and check out different genres. I bet /Something/ will click with you =3
  • Pronouns: He/him/his
". . . She said I looked like the lobster from the little mermaid. . . But it was from a girl, so i took it as a compliment" -Wolfer210, 2015
"later she said I looked like Jesus. I took that as a compliment also."

Offline Fengi

• Red Level
  • Fursona Species: Wolf/Donkey
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 07:08:28 am »
You could try thinking about it more while reading it. Think about what the characters look like, what you should do in that situation and what the places in the book look like. That way you get into the story.

Goodluck with reading those books!
  • Pronouns: Use whatever you think fits me :)
When i was 8 i didn't find the wardobe to narnia and when i was 11 my hogwarts letter didn't come. Gandalf better be at my door to take me on an adventure when i'm 50.

Offline Assan

• It is pronounced Ah-San
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 122
  • Beep
    • DeviantArt - Assan Dracomorph
    • FurAffinity - Assan
    • Dungeon Master's Compedium
  • Fursona Species: Golden Dragon
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 01:56:37 pm »
I'm a huge reader here, and I can say the key to really getting into a book, is one you like. If you are not that interested in it, it is going to be much harder to stick with it. Next is dont re-read, or I guess I should say keep it to a minimum, go slower if you need to to get the content, because that is important to the immersion to, but going back to reread something breaks it to. Just fall into it, sit back somewhere comfortable, and let the story take you wherever it wants to go.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Tiny Bisexual Pride Dragon -> Now Tiny Rainbow Hearts ->
Hope you enjoyed  :fox-:P:

Offline Alfred Alfer

• We've shielded you from the painful truth!
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 9
    • FurAffinity - corruptcanine
  • Fursona Species: Fangtooth Eel
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 02:46:50 pm »
My whole life I have had issues with reading. It doesn't grab my attention, and I usually don't comprehend it well because I end up reading the same sentence 5 times since I didn't understand it the first time.

Honestly, if you're going to try to force yourself to get involved in a book, it most likely wont happen. If a book isn't engaging to you, then it isn't. Nothing can really change that.

If you're allowed to choose your own books to read, try to find books that have movies! That way you can read the book and then watch the movie! (It makes understanding it so much easier, this is what I do.)

Ask the teacher for help too! They will more than likely be understanding.

If you draw, a cool way to engage yourself is maybe draw the characters how you interpret them. Then you get an attachment, and then you'll be waiting to see what happens to them!

Just a couple ideas! This is coming from someone with ADHD, and I've been in that exact same boat of not feeling like reading is all that engaging. There are many ways to try and engage yourself though, and I'm sure your teacher would be happy to help you with that!
  • Pronouns: He/Him They/Them It/Its
We fight to serve YOU... The common man.