Author Topic: I don't get it!  (Read 16432 times)

Offline Lucius.

• Friend please...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 187
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
Re: I don't get it!
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2015, 11:23:54 am »
Modern art.

Icon by Nagi. :rose:

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2015, 11:44:39 am »
Modern art.

I felt the same way, but taking Art History classes will completely change your perspective  :fox-:P:
Modern art isn't about the art itself, its about the process and meanings. Many people throw out the arguments "that's easy" or "ANYONE could do that!"; and, while that's true for a lot of pieces, that's not why the artist did it.
Modern art tackles the question "What is art?" and obviously, it works ;P You also have to keep in mind that the first people in the Modern movement were really taking leaps and re-writing the definition of art as a whole. Prior to the Modern movement, art was only highly realistic and either religious or used as propaganda. It was frequently thought of as a sacred thing, with artists being put on the same level as scholars and philosophers because they had a gift to draw divine things.

So you can imagine how much people freaked out when Van Gogh started painting his surreal landscapes and brightly-colored flowers  :lol-fox: What was once regarded as a sacred thing was now being tossed around for experiments, much to the dismay of the general public. Very few people approved of these works while the artists were actually living. These artists had balls, forgive my language, and their experiments began paving the way for what art is today.

Nowadays, people slap the label "modern art" on anything that doesn't make sense to them, understandably so. However, such experimental art today falls more under the Postmodern category, with things like a glove falling under Conceptualism or maybe even performance/installation, depending. These artists are working in the same way the first Modern artists did--to make you think, and evaluate ideas deeper than just on the surface. If that glove was actually an exhibit, for example, the actual art may have been the way the people act around it, how they move around and question it, rather than just the glove itself. That leads us to question why we act the way we do, which is all part of the purpose of art  :fox-:P:

Sorry for the wall of text, this is just one of the few things I'm knowledgeable about ^^; Doesn't mean I don't find that image hilarious, though  :lion:
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Indie

• Green Level
  • Candies: 108
  • Fursona Species: Chinese Water Deer
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2015, 04:35:34 am »
I don't get why people like Beats by Dre, they are very overpriced and overrated.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Serana

• In the moon I see everything!
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 241
  • And I see you giving me candy!
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Vampiric Moth
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 03:39:43 pm »
I don't get people who buy adopts and either never use or them or just trade them off like their sometype of collectable.
I would have a whole bunch of adopts if I saw them that way.

I also don't get people/kids who get angry at video games. There just games, its not like its the end of your life and I don't mean angry like cussing or anything like that. I mean angry like when you hurt someone, hit things, or even break your controller or counsel.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

AKA Nagi, feel free to call me whatever.
Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.

|FurAffinity / ToyHou.se / Tumblr / ThisCrush|

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 08:48:02 am »
Coming back to this thread I amending on to my old list:

Sound (as a general Concept) and Audio (In Programming), both concepts just fly over my head and while I haven't put AS much time as I would like into studying them every time I do attempt to learn anything related to the subject it just turns into a hot mess that results in little to no new insight or usable information. Short cut and simple I don't understand Audio which is also in part due to the fact the concept of sound simply doesn't compute with me. I'm sure eventually it will just click and I'll have a moment of clarity but for right now I just have carry on as I have.

Math, I know Har Har the Computer programmer doesn't understand Math but in this scenario I'm going to say it's not entirely my fault the concept is so alien to me. I use to have a fair understanding of advanced concepts but I've lost touch with me and now school is just piling on more and more concepts I need to learn but simply do not understand because I lack core understanding beyond very basic concepts. I try to wrap my head around it but the more concepts they add the more foreign Math appears to me.
  • Pride Flag - asexual

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2015, 06:13:18 pm »
I don't get unconditional brand loyalty. Like if a company creates products that are reliable and consistently superior to the competition, it makes sense, but that usually isn't the case. As a relatively serious competitive runner, other people often ask me what brand of shoes I wear. I pretty much always respond by explaining how functionality is more important to me than a name. Because really, isn't it?
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Lucius.

• Friend please...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 187
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2015, 08:50:59 pm »
Modern art.

[img]

I felt the same way, but taking Art History classes will completely change your perspective  :fox-:P:
Modern art isn't about the art itself, its about the process and meanings. Many people throw out the arguments "that's easy" or "ANYONE could do that!"; and, while that's true for a lot of pieces, that's not why the artist did it.
Modern art tackles the question "What is art?" and obviously, it works ;P You also have to keep in mind that the first people in the Modern movement were really taking leaps and re-writing the definition of art as a whole. Prior to the Modern movement, art was only highly realistic and either religious or used as propaganda. It was frequently thought of as a sacred thing, with artists being put on the same level as scholars and philosophers because they had a gift to draw divine things.

So you can imagine how much people freaked out when Van Gogh started painting his surreal landscapes and brightly-colored flowers  :lol-fox: What was once regarded as a sacred thing was now being tossed around for experiments, much to the dismay of the general public. Very few people approved of these works while the artists were actually living. These artists had balls, forgive my language, and their experiments began paving the way for what art is today.

Nowadays, people slap the label "modern art" on anything that doesn't make sense to them, understandably so. However, such experimental art today falls more under the Postmodern category, with things like a glove falling under Conceptualism or maybe even performance/installation, depending. These artists are working in the same way the first Modern artists did--to make you think, and evaluate ideas deeper than just on the surface. If that glove was actually an exhibit, for example, the actual art may have been the way the people act around it, how they move around and question it, rather than just the glove itself. That leads us to question why we act the way we do, which is all part of the purpose of art  :fox-:P:

Sorry for the wall of text, this is just one of the few things I'm knowledgeable about ^^; Doesn't mean I don't find that image hilarious, though  :lion:

That's interesting. We do study things like this in my photography course. I feel that sometimes artists seem like they are so focused on the meaning of the artwork that they negate the aesthetics of it. Which is perfectly fine, people are free to enjoy art in however way they please.
I guess I just prefer art that looks good to the eye.

Moths. What purpose do they have... Really.
Icon by Nagi. :rose:

Offline Sharkbait★

• gay purple sparkleshark
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 119
  • bee bop to the top
    • DeviantArt - sharkdivus
    • FurAffinity - Shark-Bait
  • Fursona Species: Bull shark
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2015, 01:52:33 am »
why is twilight princess the game of choice for most zelda fans. why. yes it's a good game but it's not the best zelda game By Far. I DONT UNDERSTAND.
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline ArtificialSweetener

• "... follow out the happiest story—
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 166
  • It closes with a tomb!”
    • DeviantArt - I-Eat-Elves
    • FurAffinity - ArtificialSweetener
    • Twitter - CarcinogenSugar
  • Fursona Species: Dog Mutt
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2015, 02:06:37 am »
I have an adoptables account and looking back at the old designs some of them are really bad and sold for a ton! I don't get why people would pay me so much for a design that is just a flat color...

oh well at least I've improved
“Stanzas” by Emily Brontë
My Skype is on my profile with other contact info. Don't hesitate to message me.

Offline Raccoaster

• A second-hand goods enthusiast
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
  • Raccoaster is kill
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 08:54:00 pm »
I dont get why people think going to a theme park on a summer weekend with 95 degree weather would in any way be a good idea. It's hot, crowded uncomfortable, and you just end up annoyed and dehydrated. I made that mistake once and it was one of the worst days ever. Seriously people, don't do that to yourself.
Coaster element of the forever :p

Skyrush's stengel dive! The most intense element I have ever experienced that combines unbelievable laterals with thigh crushing airtime. Insane is an understatement.
RIDE POV LINK(Element at 0:41)

• Blue Level
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2015, 08:24:33 pm »
I don't get the whole obsession with guns. I guess I can understand owning a hunting rifle but that's about it. Countries that have them outlawed completely never seem to complain and they also have way less instances of gun violence. Especially serious weapons that are designed for killing why do you need something esentially made for war? Like why do you even need so many what are you afraid of? Hordes of angry liberals or maybe black teenagers walking down the street with skittles? I REALLY don't get it at all.
My Skype is on my profile with other contact info. Don't hesitate to message me.

Offline Paz

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 80
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2015, 10:14:22 pm »
I don't get the whole obsession with guns. I guess I can understand owning a hunting rifle but that's about it. Countries that have them outlawed completely never seem to complain and they also have way less instances of gun violence. Especially serious weapons that are designed for killing why do you need something esentially made for war? Like why do you even need so many what are you afraid of? Hordes of angry liberals or maybe black teenagers walking down the street with skittles? I REALLY don't get it at all.
Have you ever shot a gun?
  • Flag - usa
You ever wonder why we're here?

Offline guapo

• we can start and finish wars
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 289
  • we're what killed the dinosaurs
    • DeviantArt - teethpunk
    • FurAffinity - benzos
    • Twitter - mcfreaking
    • nice aesthetic!
  • Fursona Species: conepatus semistriatus
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2015, 10:15:35 pm »

^^^^^^^^^ this lmao

people don't seem to realize that guns are made exclusively for killing.
yes, hunting may be a necessity for some people, but it's still killing.
guns have no practical use outside of that
you don't need to collect them smh
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: they/them/their
the dinosaurs choked on the dust
they died because we say they must

maybe i'll come back later
see ya

• Blue Level
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2015, 10:15:56 pm »
yes and it was whatever I know some people say it makes them feel powerful but why do you want to be powerful and holding a weapon for death? Not my thing, killing and violence is not anything I will ever get

I'm not anti hunting for food or anything, a hunting rifle might be okay but I'm just anti people having weapons made for war. There's no reason to own a weapon that can hold thousands of bullets, that's not designed to hunt its designed to murder.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:40:06 pm by ArtificialSweetener »

Offline Raccoaster

• A second-hand goods enthusiast
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
  • Raccoaster is kill
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2015, 03:48:42 am »
yes and it was whatever I know some people say it makes them feel powerful but why do you want to be powerful and holding a weapon for death? Not my thing, killing and violence is not anything I will ever get

I'm not anti hunting for food or anything, a hunting rifle might be okay but I'm just anti people having weapons made for war. There's no reason to own a weapon that can hold thousands of bullets, that's not designed to hunt its designed to murder.

While I do agree that people who collect guns just for guns sake really shouldn't be able to, many people who collect guns do it because that is there passion.

Now I don't mean a passion for killing/hunting, I mean a passion for the firearms themselves. I would say many people who collect guns could be related to those who practice archery. Just like people who partake in archery usually don't do it because they enjoy killing, those who fire guns usually don't do it to enjoy killing. Gun collectors find joy in being able to master a new handgun or rifle. They love how each gun has its own unique qualities as they try to home in their skills to get a bullet spread half an inch smaller. They enjoy listening to the bolts and levers as the trigger is pulled. If you were to say that guns are only for people who are bloodthirsty and yet turn a blind eye to the sport of archery, that would be hypocritical. Both of these groups handle dangerous weapons that are meant to kill not because the like killing, but because they found a passion in said tool.

And secondly, many of the arguments that you guys say against guns is just the one percent. No I can relate it to the furry fandom. I'm sure you all know how the media likes to show furries as overweight creeps having sex in unsettling costumes. Everytime this happens the fandom jumps up and says "No, thats only a small percentage of us." And it's true, the media only likes to show the worst of the worst, and there's a whole lot more beneath it. This is happening right now to those who collect/use firearms. When you guys describe all gun collectors as paranoid 'merican soldiers of justice you're just plain wrong. Your treating the everyone who collects/uses guns just like news stations and trolls depict us. And that's just not right. You never see a regular gun collector with a level head and a passion for the sport in the news just like you never see a regular furry depicted.

Don't base your beliefs on the one percent, you missing so much more.

Just to make thing clear I have never fired a gun in my life and never wanted to. I'm pro regulations and I think they are a great idea. I just dont like it when people base their assumptions on the minority, we have experienced that first hand and it's no good at all.
Coaster element of the forever :p

Skyrush's stengel dive! The most intense element I have ever experienced that combines unbelievable laterals with thigh crushing airtime. Insane is an understatement.
RIDE POV LINK(Element at 0:41)

Offline Eriadam

• The Scarfed One
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 244
  • Tell me if you need help. I am always there for ya
  • Fursona Species: Light-Blue Wolf
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2015, 04:42:49 am »
Technology basically. I sometimes just wonder how everything is working. Mostly digital stuff, internet etc. I dont get it , but I use it  :fox-:P:

''And if you can’t see anything beautiful about yourself
Get a better mirror
Look a little closer, Stare a little longer
Because there’s something inside you, that made you keep trying despite everyone who told you to quit''

• Blue Level
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2015, 01:17:18 pm »
~snip

This isn't really the debate section and I never said I was completely against owning guns. This is the I don't get it thread and owning guns is something I don't get. Even people who are passionate about it. I personally wouldn't want the responsibility of having such a dangerous weapon.

And as for the minority of people who cause violence with guns. The minority can ruin it for the majority, so it doesn't really matter if its only a few people or not. You can get guns without any kind of training or mental health check. There's really no way to know who just likes to collect them will be responsible with owning a gun and who could be violent. Even those who pass a mental health check or test could still be prone to violence later.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:18:52 pm by ArtificialSweetener »

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2015, 02:18:42 pm »
I don't understand why bright and blazing sunny days are universally accepted as being good weather. Like not everyone has a pool or lake in their backyard to jump into when they catch fire.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Cadmus

• if life ain't just a joke...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 153
  • ...then why am I laughing?
  • Fursona Species: angel dragon
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2015, 02:22:50 pm »
I don't understand why bright and blazing sunny days are universally accepted as being good weather. Like not everyone has a pool or lake in their backyard to jump into when they catch fire.
yes! I hate warm sunny days, I like it when it's cold and miserable because I don't feel obligated to go outside(I'm an antisocial creep irl)
  • Pronouns: her, hers, she etc
icon is by awkward rage
pondering if it's safe to eat the pringles since 2000

chibis by nagi

Offline Spooky Azkre

• Work in Progress
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 254
  • Legend
    • DeviantArt - Afrodens
    • Main Site
  • Fursona Species: 'Kitsune'
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2015, 07:48:21 pm »
Why is everyone on the internet always so pissy?????
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: They/She/He

Main site --> http://azkre.tumblr.com/