Author Topic: Recording!  (Read 594 times)

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
Recording!
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:01:55 am »
So I got a new microphone for my birthday a few months ago and it's quite nice! Nothing that I've recorded so far is spectacular or anything, but I did make something today that's decent enough to share imo. The song below is completely original.

Link

The first part is just guitar; I forgot to mute the high E string on certain parts, so I hope that it's not as annoying as it sounds to me.  :fox-:P: After about a minute in, I start singing (feel free to skip to that part if you aren't going to listen to the whole thing), which I'm especially self-conscious about, so I hope that part sounds pleasant too. If you have anything to say about it, comments or questions alike, please post them here; I'd love to see any kind of feedback. And if you guys really like it, I'll see if I can dig up any past recordings.  :fox-;):
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Skiffy Wolf

• Green Level
  • Candies: 26
  • No idea what I'm supposed to put here.
    • DeviantArt - Charlie-Fan
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Recording!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:55:06 am »
That is honestly really good.

Offline Indie

• Green Level
  • Candies: 108
  • Fursona Species: Chinese Water Deer
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 11:23:05 pm »
I really like the idea of it ^w^ Though since I have been Mixing/Mastering and producing music for over 3 years I may need to critique it a bit owo

The guitar seems a tad bit too quiet and the noise in the background is a bit offputting. The reverb is a bit much. You also seem to not be confident in your playing/singing, which is not good :c

If you ever need any help in recording then by all means message me! ^w^ I've been a self-taught producer of EDM/Rock for over 3 years now and this is my bread and butter.

Also that cough scared me ;___;
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • By irishthorns@FA
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:56:44 am »
That is honestly really good.

Thank you!! :fox-:):

I really like the idea of it ^w^ Though since I have been Mixing/Mastering and producing music for over 3 years I may need to critique it a bit owo

The guitar seems a tad bit too quiet and the noise in the background is a bit offputting. The reverb is a bit much. You also seem to not be confident in your playing/singing, which is not good :c

Thanks, I can always use some critique! The noise in the background was my loud computer btw, which I was aware of, but I'll definitely move the microphone farther away if I do more serious recordings. As for the guitar, do you mean that it's quiet in relation to the rest of the track? Or do you mean that the whole thing is quiet? Also, how much reverb would you use, personally? I like really atmospheric stuff and it's kind of just my style to 'slather' everything with reverb, but I understand that it can be a bit much sometimes.

And yeah, I'm not particularly confident or anything. :fox-:P: I have probably around 3 months of experience with the guitar (if you don't count the long periods of not practicing), and like I said, I'm quite self-conscious about singing. My voice isn't that soft and whispery when I talk (if anyone was wondering :fox-:P:), but it's a style that I like to use when singing (and it comes a little more naturally). I could list a few artists who do this, but the best example is Sufjan Stevens, who is a big inspiration. The softness also helps because although I usually live in a very secluded place, I can only record while I'm here (an apartment, I won't get into it) so I have to be a bit quieter. Anyway, sorry for going into pointless details... And thanks for the advice!

If you ever need any help in recording then by all means message me! ^w^ I've been a self-taught producer of EDM/Rock for over 3 years now and this is my bread and butter.

Also that cough scared me ;___;

Yeah, I'll probably take you up on that offer at some point! I've been at it for pretty much the same time as you, but have gone through quite a few unmotivated periods, so I'm sure you're leagues ahead of me  :fox-:P:

I knew I should have edited that out x.x I thought it would provide some context as to why the recording ended, but I agree that it's way too loud lmao. Anyway, thanks again :fox-:):
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:58:53 am by Aurora »
  • Pride Flag - gay

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Indie

• Green Level
  • Candies: 108
  • Fursona Species: Chinese Water Deer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 03:12:25 am »

Thanks, I can always use some critique! The noise in the background was my loud computer btw, which I was aware of, but I'll definitely move the microphone farther away if I do more serious recordings. As for the guitar, do you mean that it's quiet in relation to the rest of the track? Or do you mean that the whole thing is quiet? Also, how much reverb would you use, personally? I like really atmospheric stuff and it's kind of just my style to 'slather' everything with reverb, but I understand that it can be a bit much sometimes.

And yeah, I'm not particularly confident or anything. :fox-:P: I have probably around 3 months of experience with the guitar (if you don't count the long periods of not practicing), and like I said, I'm quite self-conscious about singing. My voice isn't that soft and whispery when I talk (if anyone was wondering :fox-:P:), but it's a style that I like to use when singing (and it comes a little more naturally). I could list a few artists who do this, but the best example is Sufjan Stevens, who is a big inspiration. The softness also helps because although I usually live in a very secluded place, I can only record while I'm here (an apartment, I won't get into it) so I have to be a bit quieter. Anyway, sorry for going into pointless details... And thanks for the advice!

Alrighty ^w^

- Firstly, you don't even have to move your mic back! Audacity, Fl Studio, and I'm pretty sure many other programs have noise reduction features that completely get rid of all noise (If you use the settings correctly)

- I feel that your vocals and guitar need a tad bit of volume differences. Try maybe making the guitar a tad bit louder while making your vocals quite a bit louder.

- A lot of reverb is fine in my opinion. If you're going for atmosphere then reverb is the way to go, but sadly since you just added reverb to everything all that computer noise is having reverb added on it as well, which is sort of making things sound crazier than they should be. As stated before, getting rid of that noise will instantly make your entire track sound better!

- And lastly, your voice... I like it! I know that doing the whole whispering singing is a thing, and I like songs like that! The only problem though is that it's hard to hear what you're saying (If you're saying anything) If you aren't saying anything then just ignore this, but if you ever want to say anything while singing then you really have to get your voice out there. This is with all styles of music. You can be quiet and have your words come through, but you just have to be confident in your music! Honestly being 100% confident in your music makes your music sound instantly better.

I wish you well in your newer stuff when you finally get to that ^w^ I'll for sure check out anything you release from here on!

If you want to see what stuff I make then go ahead and check out my new music dump thread :3

(And I would highly recommend getting that free Mix and Master from me some day)  :fox-:P:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:21:19 am by Twizzy »

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • By irishthorns@FA
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:54:51 am »
Great! These things will really help. I'd give you another cookie if there wasn't a time limit :fox-:P:

And I might end up doing another general music dump (in the future) myself. In the meantime, here is something recent for anyone who is interested. Like a lot of my stuff, it's ambient, so don't click if you think that kind of music is boring.
  • Pride Flag - gay

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline JJ Husky / James

• JJ 16 yr old Veterinary Ninja Pianist guy!
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 8
  • Music Is Life. Rolaplaying is Fun. Dass It ;D
    • DeviantArt - Diego Lawrence
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 08:25:46 am »
I do like the overall theme of the song c: its very nice and ambient.

The only problems were that I could hear gain on the microphone when you were playing the guitar, which when recording instruments is an annoying yet prominent issue, as i know too well with a grand piano haha. Another suggestion, which I don't know if you did, is to record everything in seperate tracks, like do the guitar, then the singing. That way you can edit the EQ of the guitar and singing to get it just right for the track, and like Twizzy said, you can either get rid of that sound or move yer mic back. Not a big deal to fix.

I do like how you sang though, it really created a suitable atmosphere for the song, I like it c:
Martial arts is a way of expressing one's elegance combined with strength, agility and speed. Medicine is a way of showing compassion for others. Music is an expression of feeling. This is what describes me.