Author Topic: (Hopefully) Monthly Music Dump #1  (Read 607 times)

Offline Someoneoro

• Hyperinactive Snow-Wuff
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • Whatever it is I didn't do it.
    • Someoneoro's Unfinished Crapsite
  • Fursona Species: Arctic Wolf
(Hopefully) Monthly Music Dump #1
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:01:36 am »
Greetings, all! To motivate me to compose more, I'm going to upload a set number of songs each month to show off. Each month will have a theme, and that theme will be described. Each song will have a link, and there will be a short (or long, depending on the significance thereof) description of each. The hope is that I'll use this theme-based music dump each month to motivate me to maintain a certain amount and quality of music. If someone wants to suggest a theme, I'd be open to composing for that depending on what it is... But I digress, so without further ado... (if you'll excuse the Finale 2006 recordings because I can't get anything performed...)

SOMEONEORO'S MONTHLY MUSIC DUMP: AUGUST 2015
THIS MONTH'S THEME: Happy, or at least Bittersweet

It seems my strong suit is anything in a minor key. Existential dread is one of my greatest styles and one I very much enjoy to use. However, during the months of August, September, and October, my life seems to be in good order and it becomes harder to compose in this style. The end result? Usually a hybrid bittersweet piece which tends to lean more toward melancholy than content. These pieces usually follow a very simple formula, and it's very noticable to good ears. But that doesn't stop these compositions from being good (actually it probably does). Somehow, I occasionally come up with some really good song in a major key. This is a once-in-a-blue-moon thing, hence the lack of music for this theme. Next month will likely be much larger.

#1 - "Sunset (from Five Pieces for Mallet Percussion)"
This composition DEFINES this theme. It is half-major, half-minor, and fits the general formula. I composed it a year and a half ago for someone I liked. He didn't like it, even being a mallet percussionist and all. It's for solo marimba, and I can verify it's playable.

#2 - "Night of Futile Longing"
I composed this piece last year for someone else whom I liked at one point. I gave a link to it to him but I don't think he ever really truly listened to it. I asked him out and he said no. The bass clarinet part was once a vocal, but the lyrics were the worst piece of writing I've ever done, second to things from middle school. This one's for bass clarinet, piano, and drumset. It /should/ be playable (meaning it fits the instruments' ranges and has places for wind instruments to breathe and doesn't ask too much of any instrument).

#3 - "Etude #3: Happiness"
Ripped from a piece I never finished, this likely takes second place for the most cheerful piece I've composed. It's for string quartet (maybe string orchestra, I've never been good at determining intervals for string instruments) with drum set. It seemed to fit the piece well.

#4 - Etude #20: At Last
This piece takes first place for best happy piece. After writing a suspenseful viola cadenza, a charged rock waltz, a crazy organ solo, and a chaotic string quartet work, I decided to try to compose something for solo harp. And I saw that it was good.

#5 - "Etude #21: Hyperdrive"
This composition was done quickly before I went to sleep one night. I was really happy that things seemed to be going up in my life so I wrote this. It's a viola solo, one of the few happy minimalist pieces I've done.

#6 - "Sixteen"
I composed this trumpet solo with piano accompinament for a friend of mine for his birthday. He loved it. Which felt nice, since that was the first time anyone expressed a liking of my efforts. It fits because it's got a part that's in a 'major' key. I still like it.

#7 - "Ballad for an old Friend"
Inspired by 1980's love ballads (:fox-:P:) but still not too bad. This is the very first composition I've done after completing summer Music Theory. The lyrics are a little personal, so I won't list them. (Plus they SUCK!) For rock band I guess. More specifically a guitar, an electric bass, a drumset, and a vocalist. Hopefully this one is also possible. The vocals may need too much lung capacity...

#8 - "Travels, Mvmt. 2: New York"
This cello quintet is the second part of a 3-movement composition. There's some cellist in Germany that has a copy of this thing. Whether it'll be performed is a completely different story. :fox-:P: The other two parts are in a minor key, so they couldn't be included in the mix. The only other minimalist piece I've ever done in a major key.

#9 - "Etude #29: Inspector Gadget goes on a Bad Acid Trip"
It's got major keys, and it's somewhat light-hearted and meant to be somewhat humorous, so it counts right? :fox-:P: It's just here to round up to 10 compositions. For bellkit, vibraphone, and piano. It uses the Persian scale, minor octatonic scale, enigmatic scale, half-diminished scale, augmented scale, hirojoshi scale, Algerian scale, and the altered scale. The Inspector Gadget theme can be heard in the Algerian scale (number 6 if you can count the scale changes).

#10 - "Celebration"
Up to this point I've been sorting these pieces in chronological order. Once I got to this point, I realized I probably didn't want to end on a strange piece. So here's a composition from exactly one year ago on this very date. I don't really remember what I was celebrating but the piece isn't bad. The key-change is abrupt, but all my key changes are like that. It's still a nice piece to end on.

So there you have it. This is the first dump. I guess at the end I can announce the theme I'll use if I don't get a suggestion. So...

NEXT MONTH'S CURRENTLY-PLANNED THEME: What is this even?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:04:23 am by Someoneoro »
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Tsuna_Yoshi

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 37
    • DeviantArt - SetsunaDamius
  • Fursona Species: Kobold
Re: (Hopefully) Monthly Music Dump #1
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:39:28 pm »
I like your songs, I'm generally not so much of a guy for anything not metal/techno/J-pop. But I like your music anyway! Your music has something to it, (I'm no composer or Musician) However, it has a lively feel to it. Like it can easily go into a game scene, or a movie scene. Some can even probably be that perfect song that goes well with a romantic restaurant. Etude 20 is my favorite out of them all XD

The link for celebration isn't working ;-;
  • Pronouns: him, he, his.
Taking requests, send PM if interested.

Offline Someoneoro

• Hyperinactive Snow-Wuff
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • Whatever it is I didn't do it.
    • Someoneoro's Unfinished Crapsite
  • Fursona Species: Arctic Wolf
Re: (Hopefully) Monthly Music Dump #1
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:03:02 am »
Can't fix the broken link... add the o in Someoneoro yourself...