Author Topic: Help Typing an Essay for a College Ethics Class?  (Read 567 times)

Offline ⓐⓔⓢⓣⓗⓔⓣⓘⓒ ⓞⓣⓣⓔⓡ

• The ⓓⓐⓝⓚ otter
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 29
  • Oh, April Fool's is over? Eh, nobody will notice :
    • Colors! Live Gallery
  • Fursona Species: Mustelid - Otter
Help Typing an Essay for a College Ethics Class?
« on: August 28, 2015, 03:17:59 pm »
Title pretty much says it all. I've never really typed a serious essay, much less one for a college class.
  • Where do I start?
  • What do I do when I start?
  • Is there any sort of template or paragraph structure I should know about?
  • And what format do I use for referencing sources?

Secondly, I want to know, how exactly do develop a basis for moral reasoning? I know how I developed mine, but I'm not exactly an average person, so I wanna know how people are at least slightly less completely insane compared to me. And I'm not making very much progress on search engines Maybe I'm looking too hard, so if anyone has links or can explain how they developed their sense of moral reasoning or beliefs, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I'm probably just freaking out, but I'm under a lot of pressure with a completely full schedule and multiple college courses, and I just can't take all the pressure that's being put on me... but this bit is probably better suited to the Teen Health section
  • Pride Flag - demiboy
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: Anything!
Sample Text

Offline Crow done

• We Are Not Things
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 111
  • Fursona Species: Fox
Re: Help Typing an Essay for a College Ethics Class?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 09:18:29 pm »
Well, the most basic format for an essay would be

Opening Paragraph
Body Paragraph
Body Paragraph
Body Paragraph
Conclusion

Three body paragraphs (each their own argument or point), is probably the minimum, and depending on the requirements, you can end up having to do a lot more.

Now, What I would suggest doing is an outline.

Decide what you want to write about, and organize it into points, and maybe some sub points.

If you're struggling to write an opening paragraph, then start with a body paragraph, and go back to the opening later. Always end your opening paragraph with a thesis statement, Which is really about one sentence clearly stating what you're going to be talking about, then you elaborate on that throughout your paper.

Tip: Paragraphs should be at least five sentences. I usually do more for bodies, and less for openings. But at least 5 sentences is recommended by teachers. But definitely write more if you're able. I haven't written a five sentence paragraph since 10th grade probably.

As for referencing sources, the teacher should tell you what format. MLA and APA are the most common ones. easybib.com can help you format that correctly.

As for the moral reasoning thing, do you mean how to establish a moral reasoning in a paper??
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:53:34 pm by Krowdon »
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
"The true warrior is good, gentle and honest. His bravery comes from within himself; he learns to conquer his own fears and misdeeds." -- Brian Jacques, Mattimeo

Omg your nipple dogs are amazing! So creative!!! 100% original, I'm jealous of your talent
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing
i have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
Re: Help Typing an Essay for a College Ethics Class?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 12:12:46 am »
Is this just a standard (5 paragraph) essay or a full-on research paper (commonly over 10 pages)? That will make a huge difference.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now