Author Topic: Respecting everyone's opinions.  (Read 624 times)

Offline Skyy

• Green Level
  • Candies: 107
Respecting everyone's opinions.
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:52:37 pm »
Recently, in the 'Furry Sexuality' thread, I made a post replying to someone who said that being gay was 'state of mind'.  I voiced my opinion, and got shut down by other forum members for possibly starting a flame war.  Now, I decided to read over the rules again, and found that flame wars are in fact not tolerated.  Which is to be expected.  But what it also said is that 'A flame war is a rapid, heated argument, and usually occurs when everyone involved has run out of constructive points.' I made legitimate points on why his opinion on homosexuality was wrong, which leads into the next rule.  2.  Respect the beliefs, ideals, opinions, hobbies, and identities of other members.  This is by far the most important rule of the site, but also the vaguest.  Basically, intolerance of any kind will not be permitted, including (but not limited to) age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, nationality, political views, or other characteristics.
Now, while it may have seemed like I was being intolerant, him saying that being gay is a 'state of mind' is directly breaking rule number 2, as it is being intolerant.  Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but to me, it seems like the administration of this site has gotten weak with trying to defend everyone's opinions.  They're becoming open to homophobic people on the site, trying to defend their opinions.  I don't see the point of threads that provoke arguments if I'm the one who's getting my points removed.  I'm standing up for myself.  Am I not allowed to do that?  I'll stand for most opinions, but when it comes to that, I WILL stand up for myself. 

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 177
  • STERLING
Re: Respecting everyone's opinions.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 10:07:33 pm »
We do encourage everyone to openly state their feelings, thoughts, and opinions, within the rules of being respectful to one another. You are allowed to stand up for your opinions, but in a respectful manner. I saw your post was more harsh towards the original poster, where as the original poster was trying to remain respectful.
As I said, you can stand up for your opinions, but it's best to check your wording, and do so in a calm and peaceful manner.
Some people just don't have the same thoughts, ideas, and opinions as you. They could lack the experience to know any better as well, but take it as an opportunity to peacefully show another point of view they may not know.

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
Re: Respecting everyone's opinions.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 01:13:50 pm »
-snip-
Now, while it may have seemed like I was being intolerant, him saying that being gay is a 'state of mind' is directly breaking rule number 2, as it is being intolerant.
-snip-

Even if the current science is against it, "being gay is a state of mind" is a valid opinion and/or belief. You don't have to like it, but you have to acknowledge it. How it is presented is a different question and I'm not going to wade into such a jungle right now.

-snip-
Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but to me, it seems like the administration of this site has gotten weak with trying to defend everyone's opinions.  They're becoming open to homophobic people on the site, trying to defend their opinions.
-snip-

This follows from what appears - in purely the context of this thread - a misunderstanding of what can be declared "an attack". Perhaps the person is homophobic and trying to defend their opinion... or perhaps they just misunderstand. Either way, they have a valid belief on the matter. Your demands for social justice cannot overrule the rights of any other person to believe what they want to believe.

And, for the record, Furry Teens is historically relatively progressive and pro-LGBTQ?+ if anything. A lot of the people tied up in the founding of the site and its first few eras (and a lot of the staff now) have personal investments in that. They also have an obligation to make it a place for everybody, not just those who have the same beliefs as them and/or you.

This argument appears in many places and is frequently referred to as the "this isn't tumblr" argument. That it ever has to be brought up anywhere is a testament to how much we as members - as a collective whole - have lost the filter on what is okay and what is not okay in the LGBT community. You're free to be insulted, but you can't silence speech only because you don't like it.

-snip-
I don't see the point of threads that provoke arguments if I'm the one who's getting my points removed.
-snip-

A rational argument and a combative argument are two very different things. Any reasonable place will say that you're free to attack a propositional statement or a point of view but not the person holding it. (If the moderator's commentary is any indication, you committed an informal fault in rational structure.)

The point is that people are going to have conflicts regardless. We can't squash them just by removing a space for them; providing a space for them gives a way to "push them into a box" for all the people who want to find them and all the people who don't want to be confronted by them to see plainly labeled.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?