Author Topic: Honest Concerns  (Read 5934 times)

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 115
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
Re: Honest Concerns
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2015, 02:14:50 am »
We're trying our absolute hardest to be fair to everyone and try to make things the way ya'll would like on here. We really are.

"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

~ Lewis Carroll

Guys, I would just like to remind you, if there is something troubling you about a flame war or you see an inappropriate post, REPORT IT! We can't read every post that's made, please report it so we can zone in on them easier.

To supplement this point a bit with technical information:

If you flag a post it goes into a special list of posts called the moderation queue. The moderation queue is very difficult to miss for the administrative staff. When there is a message in need of moderation, they get to see something like this:

Notice that they really don't get a chance to ignore it; typical staff training in forums teaches them to look for the relevant notifications:

I'm sure that FT is configured differently in many ways, and the site I used to generate that report (with special thanks to cofounder Olapen for being a good sport) has me as an admin so I don't really know what "mere mods" experience. (The base software, however, is the same between our site and FT.) (Retroactively earning that Turing Award even more right now.)

The alternative is that they thumb through every single post and check it for content. On a small forum, this isn't hard - we're talking a few posts a day. But FT gets much more than a few posts a day, so making it dead easy for them is one way to help out.

I hope you will have faith in us, and I hope all of you decide to stay and try to help make this a great place for everyone <3

Part of why I turn these things over to at least enable lessons to be learned from the input. Nobody's perfect, but this mess is a place. If we're all honest and take a step back for a moment, merely staying alive and in stable circumstances is increasingly hard in this world, let alone leading a community in a net positive direction.

It is not a faith in where we are, but a faith in the potential of where we could still yet be, that keeps me trying and talking.

Being publicly blunt for a moment - I wish people would turn over to staff directly what they turn over to me. You need to open up a public discourse on healthy interactions and defining them for the sake of the site's future. YESTERDAY.

Whole community - in the one thread where I have seized some de facto authority (because it was necessary to keep things rolling), the topic revival thread, I list an important point:

I am not an admin, moderator, or anyone with any special authority here, for future reference. Maybe that will change someday, but I don't see it coming any time soon (I've never applied).

While I have the weight of my venerability, I don't exercise it for change on the community's behalf. I have received six messages this week - half of which were onsite - in regards to moves I've made and things people want me to review.

The staff desperately needs your input. While the rules do state that we aren't to call the staff out for their mistakes, this is the one time and place that it may be appropriate to do so, and it is critical that the community define itself now more than ever if we're to move things forwards.

I am emotionally exhausted. This has been a difficult day for me, and certainly not the one I'd have set out to have if I could foresee it. I love this site. I love every one of you youngbloods, for all your faults and the things I want to scream at you for, and all the remarkable things that still happen here as we seemingly flounder about. Even though I always note my age - 24 - in conversations, I'm not much older than you and I'm a hell of a lot less healthy than most of you. I don't have the stamina for what could be interpreted as emotionally taxing interactions anymore.

I am always open to sharing what advice and insight I am able to, but if you want to see change, you cannot continue to cheer me on from the sidelines hoping I'll be a wrecking ball. I'm going to openly break a longstanding policy just once to point blank cut the euphemism and say it: I'm not. I've requested a ban in the past just to drive home that I refuse to be, and it was enacted and expired already. (With many thanks to the involved staff members of that past action.)

This community is so much aligned with where it wants to go, but nobody can see that while you're all hiding in private messages and offsite messages. It's okay. Step out into the light. I promise: Without going into specifics, I won't stand for people being punished if they bring forward honest concerns into the light in a level, reasonable manner.

I will be directing people to this post in the upcoming near future. It is an intermediary step to my personal affairs finding a path forwards.

No matter how much people may look to me, the staff needs their fair chance. Turning everything over to me instead of them isn't giving them that chance, and I'm not someone who can solve these problems alone here. The world can't be saved by just one man. I am beyond the point in my life where I am willing to hoist this world on my shoulders.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 829
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2015, 10:39:15 am »
Guys, I would just like to remind you, if there is something troubling you about a flame war or you see an inappropriate post, REPORT IT! We can't read every post that's made, please report it so we can zone in on them easier.

To supplement this point a bit with technical information:

If you flag a post it goes into a special list of posts called the moderation queue. The moderation queue is very difficult to miss for the administrative staff. When there is a message in need of moderation, they get to see something like this:

Notice that they really don't get a chance to ignore it; typical staff training in forums teaches them to look for the relevant notifications:

I'm sure that FT is configured differently in many ways, and the site I used to generate that report (with special thanks to cofounder Olapen for being a good sport) has me as an admin so I don't really know what "mere mods" experience. (The base software, however, is the same between our site and FT.) (Retroactively earning that Turing Award even more right now.)

The alternative is that they thumb through every single post and check it for content. On a small forum, this isn't hard - we're talking a few posts a day. But FT gets much more than a few posts a day, so making it dead easy for them is one way to help out.

I'm going to add in here that this is indeed how the reported post system works here for all staff. When you report a post it shows up at the top of the screen like in the photos Copb shared and we also get an email notification. These notifications are sent to all staff, not just the ones who are assigned to the board you are reporting from so chances are someone is around to step in and deal with the issue

There's a lot of you and only a few of us. The staff are human and do have lives off the forum so sometimes we are busy and miss things. Reporting questionable posts can greatly help as it sends off a big alert that "hey something's not right here!"
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 593
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2015, 07:46:33 pm »
Late, kinda clouded response to this because I just got back but this is definitely worth addressing:

As Xantera said in this thread and in another, our mission is to provide a safe space for everyone, not just people who have opinions you agree with. I realize this causes some people to feel we "side with the homophobes", but in reality that's not what it is. Most of our staff identify within the LGBT+ specturm, so it'd be completely feasible or even understandable for us to immediately delete any opposing views. However, not having a bias also means allowing others freedom of speech. Because most of us are personally affected by some of these opinions, it can become a question of "Do I want to take away this person's freedom of speech just because its offensive to me personally, or is this damaging to our community as a whole?" So, if moderation of flame wars or problematic opinons isn't swift, its because we're debating on what to do, thinking of how action one way or another will affect the site as a whole, or trying to reach an unbiased solution.

The scales between freedom of speech and maintaining a safe space are fragile and easily tipped. We've been stumbling a lot lately, and you all have a right to be upset--but I also ask that you try and see things from our side too, if only for a second.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist