Author Topic: Help on a math packet.  (Read 655 times)

Offline Tsuna_Yoshi

• Green Level
  • Candies: 37
    • DeviantArt - SetsunaDamius
  • Fursona Species: Kobold
Help on a math packet.
« on: September 05, 2015, 10:37:34 pm »
I have a few questions from my path summer packet that I've tried to do research on but I can't figure it out. I'll try to ask in a way, so that I won't just be asking for the answer to the question. Because that would just be cheating.

1:  It states that if I know that 360 degrees is equal to 2pi, state the measures of 30, 45, 60, 90 in terms of pi. I don't know how to figure it out, or really understand what it's asking for.

2: How do you figure out the sides of an isosceles triangle, if you only know the length of the base.
And there's another question asking how do you figure it out, if you know that one of the legs are a certain length.

3: I'm asked to graph (Probably on a number line) two linear inequalities.
But in this scenario, I have one where, there are two variables in both inequalities.
So just as an example, and not the real question. (Probably doesn't even have an answer >.>)
5x+y>40
2x+4y<30
Would I try to substitute it, by making everything on the first inequality equal y. I've done that, but I'm not so sure how to graph it, once I do.

Edit: Woops, sorry I put this in the wrong section.
  • Pronouns: him, he, his.
Taking requests, send PM if interested.

Offline Koala123

• Nervous
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 40
  • I'm personal
    • FurAffinity - Koala
  • Fursona Species: Koala
Re: Help on a math packet.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 11:28:37 pm »
So, for the first problem, lets put the amount of degrees in relation to pi.  Since 360 degrees equals 2pi, then 180 degrees equals 1pi, and 90 degrees equals 1/2pi.  A third of 1/2pi is 1/6pi (30 degrees), 1/2 of 1/2pi is 1/4pi (45 degrees), and 2/3 of 1/2pi is 1/3pi.

For the second problem, if the base is given to you with two unknown sides, you can find the height of the triangle.

h is the height, and a is the base.  I believe you learned the pythagorean theorem back in 5/6th grade, so in order to find each side, the equation is: (1/2a)^2+(h)^2=b^2, and solve from there.
If the height is unknown, hopefully they gave you one of the angles. Then you could use trigonometry and find the length of the height.

For the third problem, I do not believe you are graphing on a number line.  I believe you are graphing on a coordinate plane.
In order to graph a linear equality, you have to graph the slope of the line. So, for 5x+y>40, subtract 5x on each side and get y>40-5x.
To graph y>40-5x, graph the equation y=40-5x.  Then, since y is greater than 40-5x, you shade everything above the line you drew, since every point above the sloped line is a valid solution.
Should look like this:

*For reference, graphing an inequality on a number line usually only involves one variable. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! (and sorry for the late response!)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:35:50 pm by JustAnotherFursuiter »

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 11:33:17 pm »
1: This refers to the unit circle. Since 360º = 2π, 180º must equal π, 90º = π/2, and so on.

2: Is there anything else to the question? Like does it mention the altitude of the triangle or one of the angles? Because if not, that's impossible as far as I can tell; the other two sides could be any length assuming they're equal to each other.

3: These were probably meant to be graphed in a 2-dimensional x-y coordinate plane.

Edit: NOOOOO I was too late xD
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:35:00 pm by Aurora »
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Koala123

• Nervous
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 40
  • I'm personal
    • FurAffinity - Koala
  • Fursona Species: Koala
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 11:34:41 pm »
Sorry that I beat you to it.
 :fox-;):

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 11:37:07 pm »
Sorry that I beat you to it.
 :fox-;):

Haha no worries, I take forever to write and was kind of expecting it  :fox-:P:

Plus, you did a better job at explaining anyway  :fox-:):
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Tsuna_Yoshi

• Green Level
  • Candies: 37
    • DeviantArt - SetsunaDamius
  • Fursona Species: Kobold
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 04:54:32 pm »
Thank you, you guys! (Sorry for the late reply)
  • Pronouns: him, he, his.
Taking requests, send PM if interested.