Author Topic: Help with Japanese!  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Yoshimaster96

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 19
    • DeviantArt - Yoshimaster96smwc
    • FurAffinity - Yoshimaster96
    • Weasyl - Yoshimaster96
  • Fursona Species: Alien
Help with Japanese!
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:09:50 pm »
So, I've been learning Japanese for at least a year. But not really. It kinda goes on and off. My latest attempt failed when I procrastinated for 3 days without learning anything. I set a goal for myself, but I'm not achieving it. I basically want to learn one Kanji a day, to space things out a little. Maybe it's not enough time, but the fact that I could have over 10 kanji already, but in reality only have 2-3, is alarming. There's also the issue of grammar. I don't know how to put learning about Japanese grammar into the equation, in fact, I really have no clue. I have no guidelines, my school only offers Spanish, which my mom forced me into, so I'd have to be learning two languages at the same time, if I tried.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Tsuna_Yoshi

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 37
    • DeviantArt - SetsunaDamius
  • Fursona Species: Kobold
Re: Help with Japanese!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 09:43:52 pm »
Here's my suggestion. You're definitely going to need a book on this first. Second I suggest, just learning basic words before actually learning to read and write. (According to my mother and all the other Japanese friends of mine) they say that it's easier to learn basic words and stuff before trying to write the language while learning it. For this reason, you either A.) Need to watch Japanese Anime or B.) watch drama C.) Memorize it by song (Since anime songs have Romanji lyrics. Especially vocaloids, they're made to speak in Romanji.)

But I really suggest getting a book before all of this, there's certain things that are really weird in Japanese that's really particular. I can help in some cases, but I'm only so good. (I can speak, but I can't read or write.)
  • Pronouns: him, he, his.
Taking requests, send PM if interested.

Offline Yoshimaster96

• Yellow Level
    • Weasyl - Yoshimaster96
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:11:17 pm »
Step 1 is completed, I have not one but two books, one with all the joyo kanji, and another with lots of grammar. I found a site for grammar that is very useful, and finally, I have Japanese hiragana and katakana flash cards. I already have the hiragana down pat, and can write any word using it.
  • Flag - usa

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 595
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 09:01:08 am »
Dont feel bad, kanji is really frustrating to memorize. If you have a DS, pick up My Japanese Coach. I dont think it has kanji ( I dont remember) but its a good refresher in-between lessons.

Beyond that, I dont have many suggestions other than to continue with your books and flash cards. I took 4 years of Japanese in high school; its been a while but if you have specific questions let me know and maybe we can work them out together ^^
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Yoshimaster96

• Yellow Level
    • Weasyl - Yoshimaster96
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 05:11:58 pm »
Thanks! I think I have 60-70% of all the katakana, ア through ノ definitely. I'm currently doing the second half, ハ through ン. As for kanji, I know a few, like the numbers, and a VERY small amount of nouns. There are other vocabulary that I have, such as most of the demonstrative pronouns. I also know 5 particles, は, も, の, が, and を. So I have a general idea. I know about だ, かった, じゃない, and じゃなかった.
  • Flag - usa

Offline Yoshimaster96

• Yellow Level
    • Weasyl - Yoshimaster96
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 08:53:39 am »
Hey, it's me again! I'd like to point out that, I haven't gotten anywhere, due to issues that I can't solve. First, at the beginning of the school year, my mom signed me up for Spanish, and Spanish is the only language my school offers. Problem is, it's not what I want to learn, and it's making it harder for me to learn Japanese at the same time. I'm picking up Spanish fairly well, but I'm struggling with the language I want to learn. Second, I set goals for myself, but I never actually try to reach them, even though I want to. I can't really explain what I feel. I'm afraid to explain it one way and have people think that's how I actually feel, because whenever I try to explain this problem in words, every time, it's not really how I truly feel. I just cannot put it into words.
  • Flag - usa

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 177
  • STERLING
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 09:01:30 am »
Download the app mindsnacks-Japanese.
It helped me learned some basic stuff and it's all in fun games. It costs about $2 but theres a free version you can try.

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 09:04:02 am »
I used DuoLingo to help me learn French, I'm not sure if they also do Japanese but if they do, I recommend it!
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Stormy ☆

• He is small like a tiny little baby
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 197
  • I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl
    • DeviantArt - basilbaph
    • FurAffinity - basilbaph
  • Fursona Species: corgi
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 06:04:40 pm »
I used DuoLingo to help me learn French, I'm not sure if they also do Japanese but if they do, I recommend it!
They don't have Japanese, but that's how I study my other languages. It's really good if you're trying to learn other languages besides Japanese.
I do know of a really good site though. It's helping me a lot, as I am trying to learn Japanese too.
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/
This one's a really good dictionary:
http://jisho.org/

I'm also using the app Memrise (there's a website for it, too). It's really good for learning hiragana, katakana, and a lot of vocab. I recommend it.
As you've already been told, books are a really good way for some to get information. Maybe try looking for more books, unless of course the ones you have aren't really helping.
Other than that, just keep practicing and you'll get better at it!  :D Hope this helps!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him/his

There he go
☀ I'll brush aside the dim to make way for the bright ☀
my mind 24/7

Offline Crow done

• We Are Not Things
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 111
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 03:34:52 pm »
Hello!!

I took Japanese for 4 years of High School, and I'm taking it in now in college. You are welcome to come to me with any questions (I'd prefer over PM) and I will do my best to help you out!
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
"The true warrior is good, gentle and honest. His bravery comes from within himself; he learns to conquer his own fears and misdeeds." -- Brian Jacques, Mattimeo

Omg your nipple dogs are amazing! So creative!!! 100% original, I'm jealous of your talent
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing
i have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Offline Yukirin

• I'm The One Of Many Fursonas!
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 1
    • FurAffinity - MickIsARat
    • Weasyl - YukiQirin
  • Fursona Species: Irish Rat, Kirin (Qirin)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 12:55:04 am »
Hello! I've been back and forth from Japan my whole life, family members are there. I get it, though! When I had my Aunt teach me Japanese, the Kanji was the hardest. The best way to picture one character is as a picture itself. Like, a person looks like a person!

... That was not helpful. As for grammar, there is always the pronoun (or person) put first, and then an adjective, and then a noun, and then a verb.
Such as;
Romaji: Anata wa (You are) takoyaki tabete imasu (Eating Takoyaki)
Kana: あなた和 (You are) たこ焼き食べています (Eating Takoyaki)

Or;
Romaji: Kare wa (He is) mizu o nonde imasu (Drinking water)
Kana: 彼わ (He is) 瑞夫飲んでいます (Drinking water)
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers OR He/Him/His
So far, I have 40 different fursonas. Plenty of bats, ungulates, and monsters!

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 130
  • sushi dog
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 03:32:01 am »
Hello! I've been back and forth from Japan my whole life, family members are there. I get it, though! When I had my Aunt teach me Japanese, the Kanji was the hardest. The best way to picture one character is as a picture itself. Like, a person looks like a person!

... That was not helpful. As for grammar, there is always the pronoun (or person) put first, and then an adjective, and then a noun, and then a verb.
Such as;
Romaji: Anata wa (You are) takoyaki tabete imasu (Eating Takoyaki)
Kana: あなた和 (You are) たこ焼き食べています (Eating Takoyaki)

Or;
Romaji: Kare wa (He is) mizu o nonde imasu (Drinking water)
Kana: 彼わ (He is) 瑞夫飲んでいます (Drinking water)
woo Japanese (I'm like part Japanese but I don't know much kanji past 4th grade type) I've learnt some new kanji/ been reminded. Although its hard for me to think of a context where for a clear reason some one would say "you are eating takoyaki" and imagine someone pointing there finger at a person saying that 0.o
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Yukirin

• I'm The One Of Many Fursonas!
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 1
    • FurAffinity - MickIsARat
    • Weasyl - YukiQirin
  • Fursona Species: Irish Rat, Kirin (Qirin)
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 05:27:48 pm »
I kind think that saying 'You are eating Takoyaki' would be a pretty popular phrase, especially in Osaka. X) It's pretty good.
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers OR He/Him/His
So far, I have 40 different fursonas. Plenty of bats, ungulates, and monsters!

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 130
  • sushi dog
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 10:09:17 pm »
I kind think that saying 'You are eating Takoyaki' would be a pretty popular phrase, especially in Osaka. X) It's pretty good.
ah I guess in Osaka they would be always eating Takoyaki ^^ I want somee
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Anwyll

• Sorry for the pencil drawing, I want to make tweaks later
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 53
  • "I EXPLODED A GOBLIN!! WITH THIS STICK!!"
  • Fursona Species: Bear
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 12:15:38 am »
While I did learn some of the words while I was there, the best I could help you with is pronunciation. And a small handful of nouns. but The actual Kanji is actually pretty advanced stuff. In fact, Alot of the Japanese themselves have trouble learning Proper Kanji. Anyways, If you need help, I'll offer what I can, just PM me.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: he him his
Why not put some lemonade on his wounds?
In A'kyria
Friend: I pay five gold to make sure this letter gets to him.
Me: Wait, can his character even read?
Him: ...No...