Author Topic: Site suggestion: Previews when hovering  (Read 292 times)

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
Site suggestion: Previews when hovering
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:51:52 am »
Currently when you wish to view a topic or the most recent reply, you have to open up the entire thread in either the current window, a new window, or a new tab. The problem is, this can be quite a slow process - especially when you're just skimming your 'unread posts since last visit' page. For those with a slow connection, it can be a pain too as the page could take a while to load. 

After using the LoL boards for a while I have become quite acquainted with the preview feature, something that this forum lacks. What it does is allow a user to quickly view the contents of a topic, possibly reading the whole original post if it's short enough, and allowing them to decide if it's worth opening or not. Below is an example of what I mean, as my house is hovering over the page link:

I believe this would be a great addition to this site, it would help those with slow and/or limited internet access as well as those who just want to quickly see what's going on. As additional pages and resources are not being loaded, this will take some workload off the servers as additional images, page layouts etc will not need to be loaded. This functionality could also extend to being able to see the last reply made, as someone hovers over the 'last post' column of the topic. Overall this makes the forum more efficient for both members and guests to browse, as well as save data and possibly allow more of a workload to be placed onto the site (due to people not having to load entire pages). I believe it would be a benefit to the site as a whole, especially since I find it makes browsing the LoL boards (and other sites that use it) much more fluid.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 177
  • STERLING
Re: Site suggestion: Previews when hovering
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 09:35:24 am »
I think this a good idea, the only problem I see is the site getting cluttered with all these previews and such (Honestly I wouldn't choose to have them but I can see how they could benefit)
Maybe we could have an option to turn them on/off