Author Topic: Regarding Debate Etiquette & Bullying  (Read 601 times)

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 584
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
Regarding Debate Etiquette & Bullying
« on: October 24, 2015, 03:15:18 pm »
I'm just going to be blunt and start out by saying that I'm very disappointed. In all of you.
I don't say this to be condescending, but rather to point out that I know everyone here can behave better. I've seen it. In my several years here, I have NEVER seen the site this bad. Big arguments are always bound to happen, but its gotten to the point that it's every couple of months now. And you guys are being terrible to each other.

Do we expect everyone to get along all the time? Of course not, that's not realistic. A lot of disagreements are bound to happen on a forum of this nature, and that's the reason we have such a large moderation team. But what we DO expect is respect. And I think that's what we've been missing.

The bottom line is, nobody deserves to be bullied or harassed for what they post here. Nobody. Even if they're sorely uneducated, even if their opinion is harmful, even if their opinion offends you. This is absolutely, 100% not a callout site and never will be. It is extremely upsetting to us that you guys think that sort of behavior is okay. It all comes down to this:

If you don't agree with someone's opinion, either respectfully educate them or ignore it. Part of the purpose of the debate board is so people can be properly educated on issues. However, that's not happening anymore and that's what leads to flame wars and hurt feelings.

Take the segregation thread for example. The reason we originally locked it was not because we're uncomfortable with discussions of race...but because we didn't think you all were capable of having a mature discussion about it. Let that sink in for a moment. That should say something. One year ago, that thread probably could have stayed open. But it's gotten to the point where we have to take away legitimate means of discussion, because you all have proven time and time again that you're not capable of having an actual discussion.

Following that, harassing someone for what they post here is ABSOLUTELY not okay. It doesn't matter what side of the issue they're on or what troubling opinion they may have. I realize that harassment and callouts have become a popular way of dealing with things lately, and that's fine if that's what you believe; but that is not what FT agrees with.

We've kinda avoided dealing with off-site issues, since they're a very tricky thing to handling, but everything happening lately has forced us to change that. We want everyone to feel safe here, not afraid to ask questions or post opinions they're questioning because they don't want to be harassed. We are still ironing out the official policy, but here's how we'll deal with it now:

If you are being harassed for something you've posted here off-site, please PM a staff member with links/screenshots and we will try our best to get it taken care of. It must be proven that it was because of something you said here, and to keep it from becoming a sort of witch hunt, only the person being harassed is able to report it (exceptions can be discussed, such as if the person is too upset/nervous to report it themselves).

It really, really sucks that this is what it's come to, guys. We hate punishments, but apparently that's what needs to happen to get any sort of respect back around here.

I know we can do it, you guys. We've all seen what a great place this can be. And I'm sure most of us want that back. But we all need to work for it, and respect each other.
This thread will remain open for discussion (provided everyone can remain mature about it), apologies, and anything else related. Keep in mind that callouts, direct or indirect, will NOT be tolerated.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:17:39 pm by Panda »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - androsexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Noise

• Mummy Boi
  • Forum Elder
  • Candies: 732
  • Candy Corn = Life
  • Fursona Species: Wickerbeast
Re: Regarding Debate Etiquette & Bullying
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 03:22:24 pm »
Thank you for posting this panda, I agree with everything said here
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline ❀ Shi

• Green Level
  • Candies: 159
  • Fursona Species: Deer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 03:26:49 pm »
Thank you for this, I was growing rather anxious about everything going on.
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her <3

Offline Eriadam

• The Scarfed One
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 244
  • Tell me if you need help. I am always there for ya
  • Fursona Species: Light-Blue Wolf
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 03:29:49 pm »

Same there weirdly so. I am personally emotionally attached to this site, so all people attacking others and fighting just brought me down lately. And it affected people I know too, even in bigger scale than it did to me

So thank you very much Panda for making this. You're awesome!

''And if you can’t see anything beautiful about yourself
Get a better mirror
Look a little closer, Stare a little longer
Because there’s something inside you, that made you keep trying despite everyone who told you to quit''

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 584
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 03:32:20 pm »

Same there weirdly so. I am personally emotionally attached to this site, so all people attacking others and fighting just brought me down lately. And it affected people I know too, even in bigger scale than it did to me

So thank you very much Panda for making this. You're awesome!

Thank you, but its really a culmination of all our efforts, I just happen to be the one online to post this  :fox-:P:
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - androsexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline ArtificialSweetener

• "... follow out the happiest story—
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 166
  • It closes with a tomb!”
    • DeviantArt - I-Eat-Elves
    • FurAffinity - ArtificialSweetener
    • Twitter - CarcinogenSugar
  • Fursona Species: Dog Mutt
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 04:38:06 pm »
Glad to see these rules put in place. It seemed like there was a lot of indirect call outs and hate being thrown around in the shadows.

I am unsure about getting involved in off site matters but I think it could possibly be worth a try. I like that it was stressed it has to be proven, because again there have been a lot of accusations. Hopefully things will be better on this site.
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
“Stanzas” by Emily Brontë
My Skype is on my profile with other contact info. Don't hesitate to message me.

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 303
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 04:55:16 pm »
100% agreed. Calling out people might be necessary in other places to protect people from legitimately harmful individuals and groups in the fandom, but I disagree with it being applied to this site. A lot of the members here are young and still discovering themselves and their opinions. Even if a user's opinions aren't fully PC, it's not okay to bully, humiliate and harass them here. I'm really concerned about this. The last thing I want to hear is that members feel bullied because of others. I'm also sad that flame wars are so common these days.

If you really want to change a member's opinions, you should try to show the errors in their logic and civilly discuss it with them. Not bash them in front of others and make them feel horrible. And if their opinion is extremely offensive and hateful as opposed to just being ignorant, just report it to the staff.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:17:07 pm by Daimhín »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His