Author Topic: for the sake of curiosity.  (Read 632 times)

Offline Cadmus

• if life ain't just a joke...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 154
  • ...then why am I laughing?
  • Fursona Species: angel dragon
for the sake of curiosity.
« on: October 24, 2015, 02:02:00 pm »
how much power does a mod have?
and what is the process of verifying and stuff for the registration to become a member?
what is the limit on a mods power?
  • Pronouns: her, hers, she etc
icon is by awkward rage
pondering if it's safe to eat the pringles since 2000

chibis by nagi

Offline Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 831
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
Re: for the sake of curiosity.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 05:13:57 pm »
Mods basically read through posts to make sure they follow the rules. Board mods have full. powers inside their boards and some limited ones outside. Sitewides have full powers across the site. All mods also take place in staff discussions

As for approving  members, that's an admin job and mods don't have access to that part of the site

This topic explains more of the mod hiring process and their duties/powers
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:16:15 pm by MysticSolstice »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 594
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 05:23:08 pm »
To elaborate on the verification process:
Admins can view the full profile of someone once they've registered, so we're able to see IPs, whatever sites they linked to, and the likes. Generally we only check the IP to make sure its not a double account; and then we check things further if there's a discrepancy (we'll look at the sites they have listed if they're over our usual age range, for example). We don't usually have to do much digging, because spam/troll accounts usually have dead giveaways  :fox-:P:

As an aside, admin-required approval hasn't always been turned on. We've just had it on as of late to better keep trolls and spambots out (we actually get a decent amount of those).
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 06:47:37 pm »
so we're able to see IPs, whatever sites they linked to, and the likes. Generally we only check the IP to make sure its not a double account; and then we check things further if there's a discrepancy (we'll look at the sites they have listed if they're over our usual age range, for example).
So wait, can this be elaborated a little? What do you mean by "we'll look at the sites they have listed" Just curious, I have no idea what happens behind the scenes here and this has perked my interest somewhat.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 07:50:33 pm »
so we're able to see IPs, whatever sites they linked to, and the likes. Generally we only check the IP to make sure its not a double account; and then we check things further if there's a discrepancy (we'll look at the sites they have listed if they're over our usual age range, for example).
So wait, can this be elaborated a little? What do you mean by "we'll look at the sites they have listed" Just curious, I have no idea what happens behind the scenes here and this has perked my interest somewhat.

Not really; one of the key jobs of administrators is to protect members from harm, which is both a legal and a moral responsibility.  And a site like this is a HUGE target.

We keep these preventative practices very closely-guarded because many of them only work if they're published.  But, I can give a general overview of what we're talking about, without specifics.

- What we check:  IP addresses, and all user-submitted profile fields, including links to other sites that contain publicly-available user-submitted information.
- What we look for:  Obvious signs of someone who is over our age limit, here for sexual, malicious, or commercial purposes, or trying to evade a ban, based on experience and intuition.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3