Author Topic: Headset Or Speaker System  (Read 656 times)

Offline Lambda Lumis

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 19
  • There's nothing worse than wasted opportunity.
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Headset Or Speaker System
« on: November 02, 2015, 04:05:37 pm »
When it comes to gaming there is a lot of arguments between whats better, a headset or speakers. Both have their pros and cons, but which one do you use or prefer and why?

I choose speakers over headset any day and here's why: 1. I have a high quality Creative 5.1 surrounds sound system that will always provide better sound quality then a headset. 2. If I used a headset it would render my speakers useless and a waste of money. 3. Headsets put you in your own little bubble which means your almost blocked off from the outside world. Some people might like that be I prefer to hear whats happening around the house and my phone on my desk and stuff like that. 4. Its extra weight/distraction on your head. 5. Headsets restrict your movement.

So that's my opinion, whats yours?
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
Re: Headset Or Speaker System
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 04:43:15 pm »
Speakers, mostly  because the surround sound on headsets is useless to me due to  being deaf in one ear. :lol-fox:
If something is coming from JUST the right ear, I cannot hear it.
Besides, speakers create more of an atmosphere and do not have wires trailing along your lap.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Fozz Poloski

• FT's official Polomage
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 55
  • Icon Coloured By Mystic
    • Twitter - https://twitter.com/Fozzy_Guy_YT
    • In Development...
  • Fursona Species: Huskint-Mint Themed Husky | Polo Husky
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:51:17 pm »
Hmmm... hard one. I use both a lot... usally when I'm not on a Skype call, Team Speak,  or a game wher I use my mic, I will use my speakers (some random 2.1 channel creative speakers)otherwise I will use a headset. The wire connected to my headset really pisses me off though as people always leave my door open and then complain that I'm being too loud. This means I have to reach over to close my door which as you may have guessed I am forced to take off my headset. This is one of the reasons I love my speakers but... when I'm talking to friends on Skype it ruins the experience with echoing and that horrible noise you get if you hold a mic to a speaker. Soo to answer this question is damn right impossible for me. For the reasons I have said I have been considering a wireless logitech 5.1ch gaming headset which should solve my problems but its interesting to hear your opinions :fox-:P:

p.s.   sorry for the rant
  • Flag - mincepie
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/Polo/It/They/Them
***May the polos be ever in your flavour***
If u ever want to talk I'm nearly always on Skype --> fozz.the.husky :lol-fox:
When you're trying to count and this happens...

Gaming Channel , Vlogging Channel , Furry Channel , Twitch Channel

Offline CelerenTheFox

• Fluffy Fluff Ball
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 02:58:58 am »
I think speakers are better when your gaming casually because you don't have to worry about sorting out headphones but when doing hardcore gaming headphones win because you can hear everyone nearby
  • Flag - britain
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline Suporcur

• aaaaaaannnnnnnnddddddddd
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 11
  • no one care's
  • Fursona Species: Yellow Tape
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 05:02:22 pm »
If have to go with headset. Though not as convenient being on your head and all and blocking you off from outside., speakers do provide better sound for music and movies to get in the zone. But for gaming, headsets get you in the ZONE. Hear enemy's better, especially footsteps. (headsets mainly for FPS games.)  it's also easier to talk to friends IMO. And typically cheaper for 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound and still good quality sound. If your not a "hardcore" gamer though then speakers are the way to go as long as your not on a budget
  • Pronouns: Him/his/he
"*really deep and meaningfull/pessimistic quote here*"

I spent far longer than I should have trying to figure out what that tape says

Offline Barrelwolf38087

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • FurAffinity - Barrelwolf38087
  • Fursona Species: Ambiguous canine
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 08:23:42 pm »
If I could afford a decent speaker system, I would DEFINETELY get one. Right now I only have an Afterglow wireless headset just because  *ugh* my parents bought it to use it with secondlife, but they couldn't figure out how to set it up with their mac. So, that's how I ended up with it. Headsets eventually after an hour or two, start to hust my ears, but I can't use my speaker system cuz my mom's ALWAYS home, and cant stand excess noise, even though the has a headset with noise blocking capabilities. The ONLY problem I can possibly think of with a speaker system is portability. I guess everything has its pros and cons.
  • Pride Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done."
-Linus Torvalds

Offline Skiffy Wolf

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 26
  • No idea what I'm supposed to put here.
    • DeviantArt - Charlie-Fan
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 10:00:00 pm »
Personally I prefer headsets. I actually personally think that the sound from a headset is better than that from speakers but that's just me.

Offline Fozz Poloski

• FT's official Polomage
  • Green Level
    • In Development...
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 07:42:17 am »
Personally I prefer headsets. I actually personally think that the sound from a headset is better than that from speakers but that's just me.
It can depend on what speaker set up you have. For example my gaming laptop (a HP Envy 17 notebook) the speakers on it are shit. So usally I use headphones or a headset.
For my gaming PC (custom built) I have some 2.1ch creative speakers which are awesome and I only use my headset on my gaming pc for hartcore gaming, recording videos, and streaming.
  • Flag - mincepie

Offline Skiffy Wolf

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 26
  • No idea what I'm supposed to put here.
    • DeviantArt - Charlie-Fan
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 07:57:02 pm »
It can depend on what speaker set up you have. For example my gaming laptop (a HP Envy 17 notebook) the speakers on it are shit. So usally I use headphones or a headset.
For my gaming PC (custom built) I have some 2.1ch creative speakers which are awesome and I only use my headset on my gaming pc for hartcore gaming, recording videos, and streaming.

That would also depend on what headset you have would it not? If you buy a high quality (and more than likely very expensive) headset then I'm sure you could get better sound.

Offline ArtificialSweetener

• "... follow out the happiest story—
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 166
  • It closes with a tomb!”
    • DeviantArt - I-Eat-Elves
    • FurAffinity - ArtificialSweetener
    • Twitter - CarcinogenSugar
  • Fursona Species: Dog Mutt
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 08:01:41 pm »
Speakers. It's much more comfortable to me and if you have good quality speakers the sound can be a lot better. I always end up using a headset though because of my family but I find speakers much easier.
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
“Stanzas” by Emily Brontë
My Skype is on my profile with other contact info. Don't hesitate to message me.

Offline Fozz Poloski

• FT's official Polomage
  • Green Level
    • In Development...
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 08:06:05 pm »
Speakers. It's much more comfortable to me and if you have good quality speakers the sound can be a lot better. I always end up using a headset though because of my family but I find speakers much easier.
This happens all the time for me, I play music, a game, or go on Skype and my parents tell me to turn them down or put on my headset but as ìm slightly hard of hearing I have sound turned up pretty loud.  :fox-:P:
  • Flag - mincepie

Offline VulpineTaco

• Metalfur
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • Do not ask which creature screams in the night.
    • FurAffinity - VulpineTaco
    • Twitter - @VulpineTaco
    • YouTube channel
  • Fursona Species: American Woodcock (Red fox, if preferred)
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 10:03:18 am »
Headset, obviously. It's the only way to go for music/video editing due to the higher fidelity provided by a nice pair of headphones.
  • Pronouns: He/Him
Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Offline Midnight

• Hakuna Matata - No worries.
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • When pigs fly!
  • Fursona Species: Wolf Thingy.
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 02:25:39 am »
It depends. Weigh the pros and cons of both solutions.

Speakers can give a much richer experience (Depending on the ones you get) in terms of feeling the sound. You also get the comfort factor of not having to mess with wires and having constant weight on your head. The main problem with speakers are localization. Speakers will send sound around your house and even into a neighbor's house. I can only assume that your family (Or neighbors) won't take kindly to random explosions at 2AM. You also have to deal with the problem of echo if you're using a microphone as speakers can repeat the same noises back into the mic.
If you're looking to buy, Logitech makes a good product for not as much money as you'd expect.

I personally prefer headphones (Not headsets) because of their increased privacy and lack of reverb. I find that the sound is more accurate than my speaker system and can be adjusted as loud as I want without fear of an angry parent coming down at some ungodly hour. Along with keeping sound in, they also block sound out. If you have a noisy PC, AC system, etc., the sound can intrude on your music experience. Closed back headphones isolate the sounds, making outside noises much quieter.
Audio Technica is a good solution for over ear headphones. They again come fairly cheap for the quality that you get out of them, The ATH-M50 is a good value for the sound that they produce.

Hope this helped/applied still!