Author Topic: Starting a website?  (Read 432 times)

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 177
  • STERLING
Starting a website?
« on: November 09, 2015, 07:22:24 pm »
So I'm trying to start a website for my photography business.
I know I need a domain name, but can I use my domain name with a website creator like wix or weebly?
For the domain name, it's about $10, and then an additional $12 to use that domain name on WordPress
If I use just a website host, do I still have to pay like an additional $12 to use my domain name? Does the website host have a website creator as well?

Any advice or explanation would be greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:26:02 pm by Xantera »

Offline Adsila (add-sill-uh)

• Green Level
  • Candies: 40
  • Fursona Species: Main sona: Kirin/Qilin based creature
Re: Starting a website?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 08:31:47 pm »
On weebly I think there is just a fee for having a special membership, which is obviously what you want for a ligit website. They have all kinds of options for actually designing your website and help on that as well. Hope this helped ^_^ What I would do is just check those site's policies.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y6GaPkkGZGw
Watch this when your sad ^_^ red pandas are my favorite, so it works for me!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
"I respect animals more than people; we're the ones messing up this world, not them." - Anonymous
This sums up exactly how I feel ^^^

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:37:19 pm »
Idk about Wix or Weebly specifically; but hosts and domain names are generally separate things. The host I use (HostGator) I think has a website creator but I'm not sure?

Your best bet might be Wordpress, ooor there's simple portfolio sites around that let you redirect to a custom url. Squarespace is pretty hot for portfolios right now, I've never used it myself but it looks pretty nice, and $8/month for a site with a url is pretty good.

If you need help with the design aspects of anything let me know ^^
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 177
  • STERLING
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:07:37 pm »
Idk about Wix or Weebly specifically; but hosts and domain names are generally separate things. The host I use (HostGator) I think has a website creator but I'm not sure?

Your best bet might be Wordpress, ooor there's simple portfolio sites around that let you redirect to a custom url. Squarespace is pretty hot for portfolios right now, I've never used it myself but it looks pretty nice, and $8/month for a site with a url is pretty good.

Thanks Panda!
Do you know if I have to pay for the monthly/yearly domain name AND the wordpress monthly/yearly fee to use the name?

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 10:41:55 pm »

Thanks Panda!
Do you know if I have to pay for the monthly/yearly domain name AND the wordpress monthly/yearly fee to use the name?

I haven't used Wordpress that much, but from what I remember, yes? I think you're just paying for the URL redirection.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Midnight

• Hakuna Matata - No worries.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 20
  • When pigs fly!
  • Fursona Species: Wolf Thingy.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 02:53:49 am »
If you have yet to choose, Squarespace is a great option. Costs $5 a month (If I remember correctly) and has quite the beautiful layout. Their support staff are amazing and loads of features are supported. They include a domain with a volume purchase (A year or more) and take care of all the hosting and updating. All you have to do is upload some pictures and hit a few buttons. Then you're off to the races!

Offline Voltz

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 306
  • Fursona Species: -
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:18:54 am »
Check out namesilo.com for your domain needs, it's probably cheaper than ordering directly from some company who does the hosting too. I wouldn't spend more than $10 a year for the domain itself.

As for web hosting, depends on your needs. I host stuff with TurnKeyInternet and only spend $10 a year for 50GB of web space and 200GB of bandwidth per month (which should be plenty for your site).

Only downside with that is it being self managed meaning if you have issues installing WordPress or another CMS, they won't help unless you pay for extra, managed support. While personally I think the extra support is a waste of money, it really depends on your needs.

Hopefully this helped some :)
  • Pronouns: -