Author Topic: Undertale - More like "Buy It Now-tale"  (Read 765 times)

Offline VulpineTaco

• Metalfur
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • Do not ask which creature screams in the night.
    • FurAffinity - VulpineTaco
    • Twitter - @VulpineTaco
    • YouTube channel
  • Fursona Species: American Woodcock (Red fox, if preferred)
Undertale - More like "Buy It Now-tale"
« on: November 12, 2015, 12:47:37 am »
I'm sitting here in my room at 10:57 PM, shaken to the core in a way no game since Shadow of the Colossus could even hope to manage. So, was it a big-budget game with gorgeous 3D graphics and a story on par with Hollywood that did this? No. It was a little turn-based RPG made largely by one guy, with graphics oozing with the nostalgia of the DOS era. That little game is Undertale by Toby Fox (a composer for Homestuck), a title anyone who lurks around the internet should be aware of by now, especially if you're a furry. Undertale is a tough game to review without spoiling anything, so I won't go much into the story for the sake of anyone who should play this (i.e. everyone).

The story kicks off by telling you about a war between humans and monsters. Since the humans are stronger, they force the monsters to live underground. Your character (whom the player names) falls into a hole to the monsters' world. Here they meet Toriel, a motherly monster who takes them in. Eventually, they leave to go through the magical barrier separating the two worlds, encountering a colorful cast of characters along the way, from two skeleton brothers to a geeky, anime-loving lizard girl. Every character, even the side characters, feel full and fun, with every interaction a joy to make. The overarching story changes drastically based on the choices the player makes, and even how many times the player plays the game, giving the game a fairly good amount of replay value. The game costs $10 USD and each run will last about six hours, so you'll get your money's worth.

However, the game isn't always joyful, not in the least. Dark undertones pervade every corner, and there's a sort of blanket of sadness over everything. Sometimes, things get downright disturbing, and it all adds together to bring a very Earthbound-esque vibe, that is to say the contrasting tones that set a real atmosphere. This is a game that made me laugh out loud, cry, grow tense, and really feel something for every character I encountered. No enemy in the game is truly evil. Some want to be comedians, in spite of their dad telling them they'll fail. Others just don't want to be picked on. In every fight, you have the option of killing the enemy, netting you EXP, or just talking to them until they don't want to fight, in which you don't gain EXP but you do get to show mercy, letting them free and sometimes getting gold in the process. Every enemy has its own way to be talked to, and running through the dialogue to find it out is a joy. The writing in the game feels polished, with tons of love poured into every word.

The combat of the game is somewhere between a bullet hell shooter and a turn-based RPG. When it is your turn to attack (if you decide to attack) two bars come up, and you must center the vertical bar on the horizontal bar by timing your button press right. The closer you are to the center, the more damage you do. If you are finished attacking, or just choose to talk it out instead, your soul, represented by a small heart, appears in a box, and you must dodge the enemy attack in a bullet hell shooter-type minigame, with each enemy having one or two different gimmicks. Between exploring, talking, and fighting, you'll be solving puzzles, which are basic, but fun, and some are quite tough. Even backtracking is fun, with potential new secrets and conversations to be revealed.

The game can be played by killing nobody, everybody, or just some monsters, with every ending being different for each option. Player agency really DOES matter here, as everything you try affects the game in some way.

Final verdict:
Undertale is a labor of love, and quickly becoming my favorite RPG ever. The music is fantastic, the visuals and designs are nice, the gameplay is tense and engaging, and the story is one of the most moving of any game ever. I can not stress this enough, GO PLAY UNDERTALE.

10/10
  • Pronouns: He/Him
Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Offline Corn

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 9
    • DeviantArt - animaniac06
    • FurAffinity - thatanimefan44
    • Twitter - ConnerCrosser
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Re: Undertale - More like "Buy It Now-tale"
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 01:32:27 am »
Down here... It's kill or be killed!
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
"So I was with my Parents this weekend going to see Spectre and out of the blue they say they're ok with me being a furry and getting a fursuit and going to cons. I just spat out random words because I was so confused and it was silent for the rest of the drive and movie. With everything thats happening in my family, me being a furry is the closet thing to normal. So don't do drugs or alcohol kids, just be a furry!" ;) -Eisen Gsolf

Offline VulpineTaco

• Metalfur
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • Do not ask which creature screams in the night.
    • FurAffinity - VulpineTaco
    • Twitter - @VulpineTaco
    • YouTube channel
  • Fursona Species: American Woodcock (Red fox, if preferred)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 11:28:11 pm »
It's a beautiful day outside.
Birds are singing, flowers are blooming...
On days like these, kids like you...
S h o u l d  b e  b u r n i n g  i n  h e l l.
  • Pronouns: He/Him
Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Offline Corn

• Red Level
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 01:33:49 am »
Seriously though, amazing game! I undoubtedly give it a 10/10!
"So I was with my Parents this weekend going to see Spectre and out of the blue they say they're ok with me being a furry and getting a fursuit and going to cons. I just spat out random words because I was so confused and it was silent for the rest of the drive and movie. With everything thats happening in my family, me being a furry is the closet thing to normal. So don't do drugs or alcohol kids, just be a furry!" ;) -Eisen Gsolf

Offline Paz

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 81
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 04:26:31 pm »
I feel as though this game is horribly overrated. Then again, I hate turn based RPG games.
  • Flag - usa
You ever wonder why we're here?

Offline Corn

• Red Level
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »
I feel as though this game is horribly overrated. Then again, I hate turn based RPG games.

But have you played it though? It's definitely not a typical RPG.

Offline Serix

• Lord of The Eclipse
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 120
  • ~*~I am what you see~*~
    • FurAffinity - Serixpaws
    • Twitter - Official_Serix
  • Fursona Species: Wolfsky
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 01:42:49 am »
My avatar.  Need I say more? Lol

No but seriously it's a great game, Earthbound was always my favorite SNES game and to finally see earthbound-esque in this day of age with nothing but fps, open world, 3d graphics (always preferred 2-d) Undertale is a great refresher from all the modern day games :)
  • Site Donor
~*~"My persona isnt the only one that has fangs."~*~
~*~ Eclipses ∞ "Moonpiece Be With You"~*~

≈Serix≈

Offline Count Faithfull

• Just a cute Tiger
  • Cookies: 332
  • Sushi is mana from Heaven.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 08:31:39 pm »
Best game I've ever played hands down. Only $10 and even less if there is a steam sale going on. I have loved many characters from games and shows, but the characters from Undertale are the only ones that make me feel like they love me back, which is astounding to me. There is just so much attention to detail, absolutely glamorous music, a deep and somewhat sad lore, and the game completely demolishes the Forth Wall. Seriously  if there was anything I could influence you to do, I would want you to play the game with as few spoilers as you can manage.
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon by Serana <3
⥿

Offline Raccoaster

• A second-hand goods enthusiast
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 72
  • Raccoaster is kill
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 11:04:07 pm »
Eh, I played it and well... I was underwhelmed. It was a good game but way over hyped. I think the only reason it's getting such high acclaim is because it filled a niche market that has been gameless for a while. I'd give it a solid 7/10. Nothing more, nothing less.
Coaster element of the forever :p

Skyrush's stengel dive! The most intense element I have ever experienced that combines unbelievable laterals with thigh crushing airtime. Insane is an understatement.
RIDE POV LINK(Element at 0:41)

Offline Eriadam

• The Scarfed One
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 245
  • Tell me if you need help. I am always there for ya
  • Fursona Species: Light-Blue Wolf
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 04:56:29 am »
All I can say is that Undertale was better for people that played it earlier, because you didnt expect too much. That's one of the things about it. Once you consider the game overhyped you go into it very sceptical, making your experience worse. And as far as I noticed Undertale tends to have more effect on people that have high levels of empathy + strong emotions. If I ever reccomend the game to someone I always say : ''Expect nothing, that way you will get most out of it'' I was lucky enough to play the game without hearing about it too much, it was a reccomendation from Proto actually. And I absolotely loved Undertale to bits, it's my favorite game I ever played~ 10/10
And Im trash for that game now too I guess owo

''And if you can’t see anything beautiful about yourself
Get a better mirror
Look a little closer, Stare a little longer
Because there’s something inside you, that made you keep trying despite everyone who told you to quit''