Author Topic: laptop troubles  (Read 456 times)

Offline Noise

• Mummy Boi
  • Forum Elder
  • Candies: 735
  • Candy Corn = Life
    • FurAffinity - cactle
  • Fursona Species: Wickerbeast
laptop troubles
« on: November 15, 2015, 11:16:09 am »
My laptop barely starts, it won't launch internet browsers or games, it has tons of viruses. Is there anyway I can fix this?
Its a windows 7 Acer, factory reset is not an option due to my mom whining because her pictures are on there, I also don't have a warranty (the thing is 5 years old) also buying a new one is out of the question because I'm poor as shit
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
Re: laptop troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 11:39:15 am »
Which anti-virus are you currently using? Ones such as Avast are able to do boot time scans in order to clear malware easily without having Windows booted.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Noise

• Mummy Boi
  • Forum Elder
  • Candy Corn = Life
    • FurAffinity - cactle
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 11:47:55 am »
Which anti-virus are you currently using? Ones such as Avast are able to do boot time scans in order to clear malware easily without having Windows booted.
When I got it it has a scanning software called "PC accelerate" and when I start my computer it clears stuff but I still have problems, like it just keeps getting worse and worse
This was my mom's computer and she's known for downloaded some shady ass software
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Lambda Lumis

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 19
  • There's nothing worse than wasted opportunity.
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:48:36 am »
Ok there's lots you can do so don't worry.

1. Firstly you want to get rid of all viruses and bloatware. TBH, most time people think they have viruses they don't however you will probably have loads of unwanted adware and stuff to get rid of. Use what ever antivirus software you have to do a total sweep of you drive even if this takes hours. Let it remove all threats. If you don't have any antivirus software then download Avast, its free and just as good if not better then any other antivirus software out there. Use it to scan you drive as explained above. I also recommend downloading malwarebytes free version to be extra sure. Once you have ran both programs you can be sure your PC is free of viruses and threats.

2. Now you basically need to delete everything you don't want. Firstly download Treesize, another free program that will tell you where all the biggest files that are filling up your hard drive are located. You will be surprised, sometimes you have random temporary file that don't do anything that take up about 10gb. Go through EVERY FOLDER on your computer including my documents, your drive, the desktop and delete EVERYTHING you don't want or don't need. TreeSize will help with this. Don't forget to empty the recycle bin too. You will come across random files you don't know what they are but are taking up space. Google the file names. You will find some are fine to delete but some are needed. If you know that you don't need these files but for some reason you cant delete them try doing it as an administrator. Also try shutting everything down and then try to delete them. If this still doesn't work you can write a small batch file that should be able to do it. This is also a great time to get rid of any programs and application you don't need, want or use any more. Go into control panel and then go into programs and features. There you will find all programs on your computer. Uninstall any you don't want or need but remember that there may be some you need for other programs to work so always look it up if your are unsure. You will find loads of bloatware here which can all go. You can even uninstall your old antivirus software if you now have got Avast and malwarebytes.

Once you are sure you have gotten rid of EVERYTHING you don't need any more including documents and programs, empty your recycle bin and move on to the next step.

3. Defragging. Defragging or de-fragmenting is a brilliant and amazing way to speed up your computer without doing ANYTHING or spending any money. Basically, without going into too much detail, everything on your hard drive at this point is fragmented, the source code is split up into many fragments that are spread out across the sectors of your hard drive. This means the hard drive head (the part of the hard drive that gets data off it) has to move about much more to access everything. This is whats making your computer run slow. De-fragmenting is the process of ordering everything on your hard drive in a really efficient way to make everything run much faster. Everyone should defrag every 3-5 years so your are certainly due for it. Windows does have a facility for it but I prefer to use Defraggler. Its yet another piece of free software. This will actually give you a visual representation of your hard drive and show you what percentage of it is fragmented. Run the de-fragmentation process. This could take up to 24 hours, I would advice doing nothing on the laptop during this time. Once its done you should notice a huge increase in speed and without effecting anything on your computer. Note, its very important you do this AFTER deleting everything as it will make it much more efficient.

That's pretty much it. All I can say apart from that is make sure windows firewall is on as well as all of your antivirus software and make sure all of your drivers are up to date. Hope this works for you, if you have any problems just let me know :)   :lol-fox:
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Lambda Lumis

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 19
  • There's nothing worse than wasted opportunity.
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 07:33:13 pm »
Had any look with this? Also I forgot to mention, if you find that you need most of the stuff clogging up your drive then it might be worth buying external USB hard drives. You can get really big ones for really small prices now. Just move all the stuff you need but don't access much to it then defrag your PC drive. You will have more overall space, an efficient defrag so faster computer and still keep all your files.  :fox-:):
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Noise

• Mummy Boi
  • Forum Elder
  • Candy Corn = Life
    • FurAffinity - cactle
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 07:50:03 pm »
Yeah I'm gonna buy a USB and transfer the stuff to my mom's laptop and factory reset
The software on there is rubbish and I'm gonna try to get to the local store soon to get a USB (I live far away from a Walmart etc.) A lot of the shady software on there from my mom is causing the problems so to just fix everything I'm gonna do the reset and maybe get it up to windows 10
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Fozz Poloski

• FT's official Polomage
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 55
  • Icon Coloured By Mystic
    • Twitter - https://twitter.com/Fozzy_Guy_YT
    • In Development...
  • Fursona Species: Huskint-Mint Themed Husky | Polo Husky
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 12:16:45 pm »
Yeah I'm gonna buy a USB and transfer the stuff to my mom's laptop and factory reset
The software on there is rubbish and I'm gonna try to get to the local store soon to get a USB (I live far away from a Walmart etc.) A lot of the shady software on there from my mom is causing the problems so to just fix everything I'm gonna do the reset and maybe get it up to windows 10
Windows 10 will definately help, My HP Envy 17 Notebook was ok in terms of speed but when I upgraded it from Win 8.1 to Win 10 it spead up a lot. It's definately worth a shot
  • Flag - mincepie
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/Polo/It/They/Them
***May the polos be ever in your flavour***
If u ever want to talk I'm nearly always on Skype --> fozz.the.husky :lol-fox:
When you're trying to count and this happens...

Gaming Channel , Vlogging Channel , Furry Channel , Twitch Channel

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 01:11:11 pm »
Windows 10 will definately help, My HP Envy 17 Notebook was ok in terms of speed but when I upgraded it from Win 8.1 to Win 10 it spead up a lot. It's definately worth a shot
Talking about Windows 10 is mostly opinion based, I'd say not to get it. There's still too much wrong with it. Stick with Windows 7 if I were you. :fox-:):
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~