Author Topic: Achievements in games, do they matter to you?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline BTS Mojave

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 37
  • See you space cowboy...
    • FurAffinity - bts
  • Fursona Species: Saber tooth/Albino Ball Python
Achievements in games, do they matter to you?
« on: November 25, 2015, 05:58:07 pm »
I'm wondering how people feel about achievements in games, Steam, Xbox, or trophies on PSN. Do they matter to you? Do you aim to get as many as you can or are they just kind of there? If they do matter, how many do you have and how many games do you have 100% in?

For me, I think I like achievements dictate the games I play too much. I'm a huge completionist and a game without achievements or collectibles don't interest me as much as one that do have them. I have hundreds of games in my Steam library and a lot aren't downloaded because their achievements are too hard and or they just don't look that fun. :B
I'm exclusively on Steam where I have 1,866 achievements and 12 perfect games. <3
  • Pronouns: She/Her

Offline ArtificialSweetener

• "... follow out the happiest story—
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 166
  • It closes with a tomb!”
    • DeviantArt - I-Eat-Elves
    • FurAffinity - ArtificialSweetener
    • Twitter - CarcinogenSugar
  • Fursona Species: Dog Mutt
Re: Achievements in games, do they matter to you?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 07:18:25 pm »
I do aim to get a lot of achievements in games. It's not my main focus but usually after I've played a game through once I might go back and try to get achievements I've missed. I think if you're constantly worrying about achievements it does make it a little less enjoyable but when you do manage to get them all it is pretty good!
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
“Stanzas” by Emily Brontë
My Skype is on my profile with other contact info. Don't hesitate to message me.

Offline Lambda Lumis

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 19
  • There's nothing worse than wasted opportunity.
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 07:30:16 pm »
I like achievements, I like the idea of them, they sort of expand a game giving you mini things to do as well as the primary objective. However I don't live for them. As cool as it would be to have a full set of unlocked achievements for a game I'm not bothered enough or have the time or mental strength to do them all! I will go out of my way to get a few, especially the easy/straight forward ones. They sort of show you how good you are at the game or what your strengths and weaknesses are in comparison to other players which I think is good. But if games don't have them I completely don't mind, I don't think there important there just a nice addition. However I really don't like achievements that you gain by default when playing through the campaign of a game. There so pointless because people play the game for the campaign most of the time so everyone will get the achievement anyway so what the point in it?
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Spike (Kurozilla)

• icon by •Sparrow• on Furry Amino
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 24
  • Godzilla's fluffy son
    • FurAffinity - sleeqyash
  • Fursona Species: Kaiju
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 09:36:54 am »
I really don't care about achievements, or even scores unless they're required to beat the level.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: any (preferred: she/her/hers)
-----------------------------------------
You're awesome. Don't forget that.
Now, I'm off to destroy a couple cities and roar at people. (Insert Gojira screech)

Offline Chen

• <3 Tachun
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 134
  • Gay Squad
  • Fursona Species: Sergal (Chen), Fox (Calyx)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 11:49:34 am »
They're pretty neat. Kinda there to show off really.

Too bad CoD mixes Regular, Hardened and Veteran into one for level difficulty achievements. Don't wanna be with reg peasants :fox-:P:
Strength and Honour!

Still proud of this rainbow!

avatar l/a base by TheWhiteFalcon

Offline CelerenTheFox

• Fluffy Fluff Ball
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 12:54:36 pm »
I love achievements in games, it adds more to aim for and I enjoy trying to 100% games and the addition of achievements means the game in question feels more open and as though it has more depth to it
  • Flag - britain
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline Cadmus

• if life ain't just a joke...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 154
  • ...then why am I laughing?
  • Fursona Species: angel dragon
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 01:03:06 pm »
depends on the game, if I really enjoy the game then yes, they do.
but other than that, not really.
  • Pronouns: her, hers, she etc
icon is by awkward rage
pondering if it's safe to eat the pringles since 2000

chibis by nagi

Offline Aoki

• Snow Enthusiast
  • Forum Elder
  • Cookies: 752
  • Merry Chrysler
  • Fursona Species: Batroo (bat + kangaroo)
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 09:08:45 pm »
Not really
Only if they have a prize if you achieve it
Like in robot unicorn attack 2 there's like points you get for achieving stuff to customize your unicorn but that's the only game I care about achievements in tbh
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline guapo

• we can start and finish wars
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 289
  • we're what killed the dinosaurs
    • DeviantArt - teethpunk
    • FurAffinity - benzos
    • Twitter - mcfreaking
    • nice aesthetic!
  • Fursona Species: conepatus semistriatus
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 09:14:23 pm »
i'm a big loser who tries to 100% everything
but my add keeps me from staying on one game too long
so i have a bunch of games on pc and xbox that are in the 90%+ range
mh4u is 65% i think
i haven't had a ton of time to play it but now that i do i'll get all these achievements ;;;;
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: they/them/their
the dinosaurs choked on the dust
they died because we say they must

maybe i'll come back later
see ya

Offline Aoki

• Snow Enthusiast
  • Forum Elder
  • Cookies: 752
  • Merry Chrysler
  • Fursona Species: Batroo (bat + kangaroo)
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 09:17:21 pm »
i'm a big loser who tries to 100% everything
but my add keeps me from staying on one game too long
so i have a bunch of games on pc and xbox that are in the 90%+ range
mh4u is 65% i think
i haven't had a ton of time to play it but now that i do i'll get all these achievements ;;;;
Same here *looks at 50 ps3 games I've gotten over the past 3 years*
Sony also uses trophies and I never look at how to obtain them
I just play elder scrolls and stuff
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 08:02:26 am »
I like trying to earn achievements, and in quite a few games I'll make it my effort to unlock them - even if that means having to repeat the same thing over and over until I do. It's just so satisfying getting 100% on a game.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline KronoFur

• What do you call a deer with no eyes?
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 11
  • No idea
    • FurAffinity - KronoFur
  • Fursona Species: Grey mackerel tabby/Arctic wolf/Red fox hybrid
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 08:09:50 am »
I almost couldn't care less about achievements in games
>be 3 years old
>Drop peas on the floor
"Such things happen in life."

Offline Tsuna_Yoshi

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 37
    • DeviantArt - SetsunaDamius
  • Fursona Species: Kobold
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 06:37:21 pm »
I absolutely ignore achievements... Unless they're ironic and humorous to the current situation, in that case. I notice them.
  • Pronouns: him, he, his.
Taking requests, send PM if interested.

Offline JouleTheFox

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • Once a furry always a furry
    • DeviantArt - rainbowdash24191997
    • FurAffinity - shadowthefox2419
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 10:11:18 am »
I always aim to get each one. If they have achievements thats how I classify as a beat game by getting all of them. I personally have 7 completed to 100%
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/She/Her/Hers
pm me or add me on any of my social sites linked with this site. Always glad to meet new people.

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 02:40:13 pm »
I'm a crazy completionist. Gotta 100% it!

That's why it drives me crazy when devs put in a literally impossible achievement, just for laughs or something. Jerks.
  • Award - Beta Tester
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Cookies: 288
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 03:41:13 pm »
I like getting all of them, just so it looks perfect.
But I hate how you have to be online to get them on Xbox One.
Sometimes your not connected and you complete one but it doesn't unlock.
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline Anwyll

• Sorry for the pencil drawing, I want to make tweaks later
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 53
  • "I EXPLODED A GOBLIN!! WITH THIS STICK!!"
  • Fursona Species: Bear
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 05:25:07 pm »
Unless its linked to someting cool, funny, or an easter egg, I could care less.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: he him his
Why not put some lemonade on his wounds?
In A'kyria
Friend: I pay five gold to make sure this letter gets to him.
Me: Wait, can his character even read?
Him: ...No...

Offline Célestin La Rue

• Colombe Céleste
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 34
  • Voler au-desses!
  • Fursona Species: Dove
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 10:05:16 pm »
      Achievements are a source for people to have pride in their gaming despite most gamers refraining from bragging about their gamer score or level (the PlayStation Network uses a mathematical system to calculate level based on the ammount of trophies (achievments) you have). I still don't feel like they're really a good thing though because it's still kind of a way to say, "I'm better than you and you have zero skill." I really don't like people in the gaming community trying to cast down less talented players and I feel like this happens way too much. In reality, do achievements and trophies have a true value? They honestly don't. Achievements are worth absolutely nothing in the real world because they exist only on an exclusive virtual network, which believe it or not, will more than likely be gone one day or another. As new systems come out, the old achievements become almost meaningless too, so all that progress that was made toward those trophies and achievements are in pure vanity. Games are meant to enjoy, not too be vain. I've played the original Sonic the Hedgehog, a game without achievements, and I had a good time. The same goes for the older PlayStation 2 games I have. They had no achievements yet some of the best games I've ever played are on that console.
  • Pronouns: He, Him, His

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 10:37:22 pm »
      Achievements are a source for people to have pride in their gaming despite most gamers refraining from bragging about their gamer score or level (the PlayStation Network uses a mathematical system to calculate level based on the ammount of trophies (achievments) you have). I still don't feel like they're really a good thing though because it's still kind of a way to say, "I'm better than you and you have zero skill." I really don't like people in the gaming community trying to cast down less talented players and I feel like this happens way too much. In reality, do achievements and trophies have a true value? They honestly don't. Achievements are worth absolutely nothing in the real world because they exist only on an exclusive virtual network, which believe it or not, will more than likely be gone one day or another. As new systems come out, the old achievements become almost meaningless too, so all that progress that was made toward those trophies and achievements are in pure vanity. Games are meant to enjoy, not too be vain. I've played the original Sonic the Hedgehog, a game without achievements, and I had a good time. The same goes for the older PlayStation 2 games I have. They had no achievements yet some of the best games I've ever played are on that console.

I don't know as much as I'd like about game design but I do know that you seem to have a pretty off interpretation of why Achievements exist and why they are put into Video games. To my understanding Achievements exist in video games for this primary reason:

1. Achievements appeal to "Ace" or as many have called it here "Completionist" gamer personality type. I do believe there has been actual scientific research into Bartle's Taxonomy of gamers that has further solidified and refined his findings from his initial work with MUDS. The Ace player type, in brief, is the one who is most interested in mastering the skills related to a game and completing it entirely. Achievements are a way of rewarding the Ace player type for their work to master the game and entice them by presenting new challenges to keep them interested in playing the game. The later I believe is especially prominent in F2P games where it is generally essential to keep people playing the game.

Not everyone has a very high score in the Ace category though and people with a low enough score will generally avoid them completely. For instance, I myself have a catastrophically low Ace score, I generally never see strive to get achievements and most of the time I get them by coincidence which rarely ever promotes a reaction greater than, "huh neat". I've also left a trail of incomplete games behind me because I'm not a completionist. Instead, I'm an explorer and play games for the aspect of uncovering mysteries, trying out new game mechanics, and experiencing a new story. Once a game no longer fulfills my need for new content and things to discover I move on because it has lost my interest.
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 02:14:52 am »

I don't know as much as I'd like about game design but I do know that you seem to have a pretty off interpretation of why Achievements exist and why they are put into Video games. To my understanding Achievements exist in video games for this primary reason:

1. Achievements appeal to "Ace" or as many have called it here "Completionist" gamer personality type. I do believe there has been actual scientific research into Bartle's Taxonomy of gamers that has further solidified and refined his findings from his initial work with MUDS. The Ace player type, in brief, is the one who is most interested in mastering the skills related to a game and completing it entirely. Achievements are a way of rewarding the Ace player type for their work to master the game and entice them by presenting new challenges to keep them interested in playing the game. The later I believe is especially prominent in F2P games where it is generally essential to keep people playing the game.

Not everyone has a very high score in the Ace category though and people with a low enough score will generally avoid them completely. For instance, I myself have a catastrophically low Ace score, I generally never see strive to get achievements and most of the time I get them by coincidence which rarely ever promotes a reaction greater than, "huh neat". I've also left a trail of incomplete games behind me because I'm not a completionist. Instead, I'm an explorer and play games for the aspect of uncovering mysteries, trying out new game mechanics, and experiencing a new story. Once a game no longer fulfills my need for new content and things to discover I move on because it has lost my interest.

I'm in the category of people that want to ace a game. I know PSN and Xbox have their cumulative score tally things, but I wouldn't care in the least if they got rid of them. I go for achievements because of the feeling of satisfaction from doing something difficult.

Take the Dark Souls games for instance. Simply not rage quitting should really be an achievement itself, but I love and play those games because of that wonderful euphoria I get from finally beating that boss. And the next one. And the next.
Man I love it.
  • Award - Beta Tester
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)