Author Topic: philosophy thread  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Cadmus

• if life ain't just a joke...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 153
  • ...then why am I laughing?
  • Fursona Species: angel dragon
philosophy thread
« on: November 28, 2015, 06:00:04 am »
just a thread I made to let people say philosophical stuff and ask philosophical questions.

PHILOSOPHISE!
if you take a boat and replace all of the parts, is it the same boat?
  • Pronouns: her, hers, she etc
icon is by awkward rage
pondering if it's safe to eat the pringles since 2000

chibis by nagi

Offline Eriadam

• The Scarfed One
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 244
  • Tell me if you need help. I am always there for ya
  • Fursona Species: Light-Blue Wolf
Re: philosophy thread
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 01:28:56 pm »
I think so. Because if we change part one at time, at the moment of instalment it becomes a part of the ship. So if you change it part by part, it wont be a different ship. It's still the same. Just as through life we change ourselves, but we remain who we are. Or from science side - Every atom in our body is changed/replaced through the time of seven years. But we are still the same person, we are still human.

So I think my answer is that it's still the same boat~

I'm asking the same phylosophical question to person above. I wonder what others think of the topic  :fox-:P:

''And if you can’t see anything beautiful about yourself
Get a better mirror
Look a little closer, Stare a little longer
Because there’s something inside you, that made you keep trying despite everyone who told you to quit''

Offline Cadmus

• Blue Level
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:36:38 pm »
that's a good point, but what if you change the parts at the same time?
icon is by awkward rage

chibis by nagi

Offline Eriadam

• The Scarfed One
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 244
  • Tell me if you need help. I am always there for ya
  • Fursona Species: Light-Blue Wolf
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 01:48:44 pm »
that's a good point, but what if you change the parts at the same time?

I dont think that would be physically possible, althought thinking about it... I actually dont know what to say there. It feels like it would be a same model of the ship, but not the same ship. Yet at the time similiar. So I guess that my answer is that it wouldnt be the same ship. Yet I think it's a very situational question

''And if you can’t see anything beautiful about yourself
Get a better mirror
Look a little closer, Stare a little longer
Because there’s something inside you, that made you keep trying despite everyone who told you to quit''

Offline Cadmus

• Blue Level
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 01:51:37 pm »
true true.
icon is by awkward rage

chibis by nagi

Offline Lambda Lumis

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 19
  • There's nothing worse than wasted opportunity.
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 02:25:57 pm »
I think so. Because if we change part one at time, at the moment of instalment it becomes a part of the ship. So if you change it part by part, it wont be a different ship. It's still the same. Just as through life we change ourselves, but we remain who we are. Or from science side - Every atom in our body is changed/replaced through the time of seven years. But we are still the same person, we are still human.

So I think my answer is that it's still the same boat~

I'm asking the same phylosophical question to person above. I wonder what others think of the topic  :fox-:P:

Yes but your forgetting in the human example (guessing you saw the Vsauce episode) that its are memories that are always there thus we are the same person because of them. But if you literally replaced all the atoms of an object is is different because the part that made it up are no longer there making it up. Its an exact duplicate nothing more.

Do you think its possible for us to ever fully understand the human brain? Il use this quote as my answer "If the human mind was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it." Think about a computer, its like trying to get a CPU to understand what it is, it never has the capacity to do so.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Wilhelm

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 16
  • The world is a weird place. Be sure to contribute.
    • DeviantArt - Wilhelm-D
  • Fursona Species: kenai peninsula Wolf
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 08:31:19 pm »
A computer is nothing more then millions of combinations of 0s and 1s. While it may not understand the why it can certainly understand the how. its about the same with the brain. Once we develop the tech we will eventually find every 0 and 1.

To what extent do you shape your future and how much is down to fate?
  • Pronouns: He/him/his
In art and life, just go for it

Offline Cadmus

• Blue Level
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 08:37:38 pm »
I like to think that our fate is out of our hands and we re just bits of matter brought along for the ride.
even if we try to change our fates, the universe will have already accounted for it and made us change our fate to the intended outcome.
icon is by awkward rage

chibis by nagi

Offline Velox and Jet

• I'm pretty much the main Guardian of this site.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 44
  • Just want to RP :'(
  • Fursona Species: White Cheetah or Black Falcon, depending
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 09:58:38 pm »
For the first question, I see it to ask if its the same after all the changes.  In that case, the boat wouldn't be the same, because the parts are completely different.
  • Pronouns: He/Him and the like

Profile Picture colored by MysticSolstice.  Line art by Baronessa

Xbox 360 GT- TheGameChaser47

Offline Lambda Lumis

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 19
  • There's nothing worse than wasted opportunity.
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 10:00:18 am »
Fate is a very interesting concept. Imagine a machine or computer or something somewhere outside the universe that had enough power to correctly calculate and simulate every single particle interaction to the finest detail. Imagine using it before the universe started. If you input all the starting conditions of the universe you will end up being able to predict with 100% certainty everything that will happen from the start of the universe to the end. That includes human actions and decisions. At the end of the day our brains are still matter made up of molecules and atoms that interact and can be predicted. If such a machine existed then it would prove fate and that we cant make our own decisions. The thing is that machine might actually be possible. We don't know every law of physics yet but we can calculate a lot of interactions. All we need is time, eventually we will be able to calculate and simulate perfect interactions following all the laws of physics. Then all we need is enough computing power to apply that to the googolplex amount of particles in the universe. So doesn't this prove fate? There's only one thing I can think of that would say otherwise and that is down to quantum field fluctuations and quantum uncertainty. Theoretically these quantum decisions are entirely random and can never be predicted. But those are just my thoughts, anyone agree with this?

Offline Cadmus

• Blue Level
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 10:10:01 am »
^^
now that you say that, you have a point.
perhaps everything is completely random. but at the same time, something must be predetermined.
icon is by awkward rage

chibis by nagi

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 10:43:31 am »
If the boat remains unmodified, and still the same model of boat than what it originally was, then yes, that is still the same boat.
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline Wilhelm

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 16
  • The world is a weird place. Be sure to contribute.
    • DeviantArt - Wilhelm-D
  • Fursona Species: kenai peninsula Wolf
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 12:16:24 am »
A hotel with an infinite amount of rooms is fully occupied. 1 guest shows up to check in. Can he get a room in the hotel?
  • Pronouns: He/him/his
In art and life, just go for it

Offline Saint Judas

• Savior and Sinner
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 173
  • Take Flight
  • Fursona Species: Medic
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 02:35:34 am »
A hotel with an infinite amount of rooms is fully occupied. 1 guest shows up to check in. Can he get a room in the hotel?
A common riddle easily answered. Infinity is endless, and thereby, in having an infinite number, there will always be another room despite every room being filled. The easiest solution for finding this mysterious room though is by telling everyone to move one room down and placing him in the first. This can be done forever, as by the very concept of infinity, the hotel is technically always filled and yet always can hold one more person, no matter the circumstance

Offline Faithfull

• Always give %100
  • Candies: 328
  • Unless your giving blood. Save some for me, geeze.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 04:38:22 am »
"You can tell the greatness of a person by what makes them angry" ~ A.L
"Holding on to anger, is like drinking poison, and expecting the other person to die." ~ Buddha
"If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try" ~ Seth Godin (WITHIN REASON)
and one I personally live by "Life is way to short to start shit, and way to short to take shit"
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon 1/2 by Serana, 1/2 myself
⥿

Offline Ti'Nari

• Talking to angels and counting the stars
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • Making a wish on a passing car
  • Fursona Species: yes.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 01:28:10 am »
If we could go back in time and change one specific point in the past, what would it be? would you even want to change anything?
  • Pronouns: they/theirs/them

Offline Apope

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • Profile pic by Crimsyn
    • Twitter - @apope1999
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 06:56:33 am »
If we could go back in time and change one specific point in the past, what would it be? would you even want to change anything?

I don't really want to mess with the past since I wouldn't know the consequences of my action and how this can alter my future...
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline Easle

• The Most Avid Player of Table Top Games
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 53
  • "I EXPLODED A GOBLIN!! WITH THIS STICK!!"
  • Fursona Species: Angel Dragon
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 02:48:18 pm »
so.... this thread isn't actually Philosophical thoughts, but riddles?  I've been lied to.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: he him his
Why not put some lemonade on his wounds?
In A'kyria
Friend: I pay five gold to make sure this letter gets to him.
Me: Wait, can his character even read?
Him: ...No...

Offline Kobe

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 15
    • FurAffinity - Kagemori
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Husky
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 03:33:43 pm »
Ah the Ship of Theseus... I remember this, it was a pretty interesting question. This question is like asking if a person damaged a bone and they had to replace it with an artificial bone would the still be the same person? As a whole they would be the same person/ship. We are made up of various parts and not just one part, we can't define each other just as one thing but as the pieces that make up who we are. Everyone can be nice, but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone is the same.
"And so the dust finally settles."

Offline Lumix

• Wish you could save this place
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 20
  • The way you save your face
  • Fursona Species: Grey Wolf
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 03:35:34 pm »
Ah the Ship of Theseus... I remember this, it was a pretty interesting question. This question is like asking if a person damaged a bone and they had to replace it with an artificial bone would the still be the same person? As a whole they would be the same person/ship. We are made up of various parts and not just one part, we can't define each other just as one thing but as the pieces that make up who we are. Everyone can be nice, but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone is the same.
Geez that went deep
P