Author Topic: Drama...  (Read 476 times)

Offline Vincenta

• That one person that keeps meowing
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 5
  • Fursona Species: Jackal
Drama...
« on: December 07, 2015, 08:21:52 pm »
So, we have our first performance on Wednesday, with the matinee tomorrow, the problem for me is I'm playing a male character and I can't get my voice masculine enough, though this isn't for our exams we are choosing our scripted performances soon and I have a large chance of playing a male character. I'm aware I cannot change my vocal range but is there a way to make myself sound a bit more masculine.
This is the only thing I've got left to figure out, I've sewed up my costume and learnt all my lines, lyrics and actions.
I do hope this is considered school related, it is a school production so...
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Offline Goatmeal

• Goat Lord
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 7
  • Ready 4 spaghetti
    • DeviantArt - JoltBoltz
  • Fursona Species: Pygmy Goat
Re: Drama...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 09:09:05 pm »
I know you're asking about your voice, buuut....
Whenever I play a male part in a play, I make sure to dress differently (which you seem to have covered). I practice different accents on syllables in lines. I also practice different ways I walk, small body movements, ect. to more fit the character.

As for talking, try to stay a little less than one octave lower than your usual voice. Practice, but stop if it hurts too much. (And if this makes any sense) Try pushing your tonsils back/down into your throat. It seems to make your voice a little deeper/less feminine sounding (at least for me).

Or try hooking up a voice changer to your mic and lower the octave
If I told you, you wouldn't believe me.

Offline Proto

• YES
  • Candies: 224
  • Wonder what happens if you do the when but not if
    • DeviantArt - TinyProto
    • FurAffinity - tinyproto
  • Fursona Species: Gray Fox
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 12:15:05 am »
Maybe if you picture in your head a very very deep voice (think something like Morgan Freeman or Darth Vader) and you aim to sound like that, you might get the tone that you need. Like they say "aim high, hit low" or in this case... "Aim deep, hit higher"?
  • Flag - mexico
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
~~Heart completely belongs to Red Velvet~~
Taking on commissions!
 Here are my prices

"Have you gone yoicks?!" - Soren, Guardians of Ga'hoole

Offline Vincenta

• That one person that keeps meowing
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 5
  • Fursona Species: Jackal
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 02:42:56 am »
Thanks to the both of you, I'll have to practice as much as I can before the matinee today.

Goatmeal, I've got that done I should think, we did a class on different characters styles of walking, also body movements I think, I technically play two characters at once, one of which is just a hand so I generally use  him to show movement. Syllables, I'll have to try that.

Thanks again to the both of you.

Offline M.C.C.

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • The best friend you got, are the ones who are real
    • Twitter - no twitter
    • Weasyl - what's this? i'm way to new to all this
  • Fursona Species: Black and White Wolf
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 12:22:16 am »
It would be a smart idea to do vocal warm ups such as humming as as deep as you can and try talking like a male celbrity icon. This is what I did to sound more feminiem and I hope that this helps and that you work hard on it 100%
  • Pronouns: I wish to be refered to as male which i am both spirtiuatly and physycally.
Making. Critical. Changes.