Author Topic: Help planning future!  (Read 613 times)

Offline Yoshimaster96

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 19
    • DeviantArt - Yoshimaster96smwc
    • FurAffinity - Yoshimaster96
    • Weasyl - Yoshimaster96
  • Fursona Species: Alien
Help planning future!
« on: December 16, 2015, 08:50:58 pm »
So, I'm halfway through junior year in high school, is it bad that I think about life after high school? I need help weighing the pros and cons of the following plan I have, which is to become a licensed developer for Nintendo and start a third-party company, and if all else fails, I'll see where I am at that point, greatly considering some form of higher education. I'm not sure how good a failed attempt at starting a professional business from scratch would look on a college application though, which is where you come in. What are the costs and benefits to pursuing higher education first versus attempting to start a business and then pursue higher education in the event of failure? I'm closing in on graduation and, while I still have 1 to 1 1/2 years to think about, I'd prefer some plan of action. Can I get some input please?
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Raccoaster

• A second-hand goods enthusiast
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
  • Raccoaster is kill
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
Re: Help planning future!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 09:21:31 pm »
Usually, it's smart to get experience in the industry before you start your own company. Being employed in the field of your choice teaches you a huge amount of things that will help you once you decide to branch out on your own. However, you would need to go through a higher education to be hired in a developer studio. I think It would be smart to go to college and reassess the situation once your done. Plus, if your own studio doesn't make the cut, you would always have that degree to fall back on.

If you do want to start on game developing now, I would start small. Make a small flash or C# game and if it's good try and get it green lit on steam. This will help a whole bunch more than starting with huge ambitions and loosing hope when they dont pan out.
Coaster element of the forever :p

Skyrush's stengel dive! The most intense element I have ever experienced that combines unbelievable laterals with thigh crushing airtime. Insane is an understatement.
RIDE POV LINK(Element at 0:41)

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 10:27:58 pm »
I would definitely say, if you want to get into game dev at all, start making stuff on your own, like Raccoaster mentioned. Aim for an existing job in the industry before starting your own ventures, for sure.

I you feel like it's in the cards for you to go to Uni, then I definitely recommend classes in business management, maybe even an MBA if you end up going that far. From what I understand of the game dev industry, a degree in it means much less than a portfolio of what you've done already.

TL;DR Make stuff on your own, improve your skill and build a portfolio. If you want to start any companies at any level, go to school for business.

P.S. afterthought: meeting other aspiring gave developers and working with them will really help to give you an idea of the collaborative nature of that work environment. Hiring execs at dev companies look at not just skill, but your ability to work efficiently in the hectic environment as well.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline RickyMcGee

• Slick as Frick Rick
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 61
  • Pic by Businessfox on FA
    • FurAffinity - Alexzandr
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 12:04:38 am »
Definitely go to college first, higher education = higher pay. With this you can get out of college, get a job, pay off college and build up money for your business. Starting a business right out of high school is not a swell idea, no real experience with the business workings and such, high school level business classes can only go so far. So in college take some business related classes and some game dev related classed as well.
Hope this was helpful.
Just like a burn will linger, she crept between my fingers, and to my body she has now become a new disease. A fog to cloud vision, more like an apparition. She made a mess and now abandoned me.
Twitter Youtube Crush thing? Deviantart

Offline M.C.C.

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • The best friend you got, are the ones who are real
    • Twitter - no twitter
    • Weasyl - what's this? i'm way to new to all this
  • Fursona Species: Black and White Wolf
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 01:53:41 pm »
You need to know this and this is the true answer I believe. So I hope it will help you. Try to get the exact future you wish for. Remember only fools are satisfied so keep pressing on night and day and work hard to get that exact future you want. Always try to make the most out of this gift of life. If your future plan is the future is the future that you truly want then I say it's perfect.
  • Pronouns: I wish to be refered to as male which i am both spirtiuatly and physycally.
Making. Critical. Changes.

Offline Célestin La Rue

• Colombe Céleste
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 34
  • Voler au-desses!
  • Fursona Species: Dove
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 08:41:12 pm »
       Post-secondary education is an investment. It depends all on what you feel. Universities can now charge up to $20,000 per semester which places you in a lot of debt when you consider you're attending school for four years. When you're considering coming out as an entrepenuer, your chances of success are pretty low. It will be you alone operating one business unless you can find some other people who would be willing to help. Businesses can be very expensive to operate. You won't be able to produce for large brands such as Nintendo from the start either. You'll have to earn experience from producing independent titles for a very long time. Colleges would be fine if you came in with a failed business, but you'd have even more debt on your hands and potential bankruptcy. I'd say attend college first. You'll be able to gain lots of experience and be offered more training as a developer. You could then start your own business with a higher chance of success. If you do well enough, you'll be able to pay the university back their debts with little trouble.
  • Pronouns: He, Him, His