Author Topic: New Feature: Gallery!  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
New Feature: Gallery!
« on: August 27, 2007, 12:38:09 am »
Yes, some of you are already aware of its existance, and I've been working on it for days, but the Gallery is now working!  It's largely a standalone application, but I've installed a modification to integrate it with the forum, so that the user data will be properly shared, and Gallery images can readily be inserted into posts and such.  Because of this, I've disabled post attachments, since it's easier to manage the use of Gallery images.

Everyone gets their own personal gallery, and you get to decide whether the images you upload are publicly viewable or not.  By default, everything is publicly viewable.  You can also upload to some of the top-level albums as well, like the RL Pics album.  Each user gets an overall quota of 50mb, which can be expanded based on your needs (for example, artists are readily eligible for a much higher quota).

In order to setup of your gallery account, you must perform these steps:
1.  Click the Gallery link on the menu bar at the top of the forum.
2.  If you don't already have a gallery account, you'll be prompted for your password.
3.  You'll then be taken to the gallery, where you'll need to login separately.
4.  Your gallery account is now set up, and usable.
5.  To create your personal album, click the Your Album link at the top-right of the page.  This will add your personal album to the Member Galleries album.

Some of you have already noticed the Gallery Image button next to the Preview button whenever you post a new thread or make a reply.  This is what makes it so easy to insert gallery files into your posts.  When you click it, it'll launch a popup window with a drop-down menu to choose the album you want to insert from.  Once you've found the album you want, you'll see a list of thumbnails, with information about the file.  If you simply click it, the thumbnail will be inserted with a link to the item, in a smooth one-click action.  Toward the top of the window, there's a radio button to choose the Advanced Options menu.  Using it, you can select several insertion options, a custom URL to use for the link, paragraph alignment, and text to associate with the image (by default, the title).

There are 9 methods of adding files to the gallery, which I'll outline here:
Browser Upload:  This is the one you're most familiar with, simple uploading of files from the web page.  File size is limited to 2mb per file, and 8mb total per batch of files.
Local Server:  This will probably only apply to you if you have permission from the admins.  If you have a large number of files to work with, you can transfer them via FTP to a folder on the server, and add them using this method of insertion.
Remote Server:  Useful if your images are already hosted somewhere, and you want to transfer them in.  Simply point the input box at the file or directory you want to grab, and follow the directions from there.  It will transfer the files directly from your remote server to this one, and insert them into the database.
Link:  This is pretty specialized, it basically just creates a web link as an item.  Useful if you already have an established gallery elsewhere.
Picasa 2:  If you use Picasa, you can use this option to directly upload a Picasa export file.
Windows XP:  My personal favourite, this option uses the built-in Web Publishing Wizard in Windows XP to upload the files from their directory on your computer, without even opening your browser.  This wizard also has a built-in resizing tool that's fairly quick to work, and if you have Windows XP, it's probably one of the most convenient options.  To set it up, simply download and run the registry file it gives you on the Add Item page.
Gallery Remote:  This is similar to the XP Publishing Wizard, but it's a Java application, so it'll run on any platform you want.  Runs as a local application, and allows uploading of files without loading your browser.  It also is one of two options that supports uploading files larger than 2mb.  Requires the Java virtual machine.
Java Applet:  An on-site Java applet that allows bulk uploading and uploading of large files.  Requires the Java virtual machine.
Nokia Image Upload:  This is a very specific protocol used by a few models of Nokia phones, and images uploaded this way will go into one particular directory.  However, if you have a phone that's compatible with it, it's a unique way to share your pictures.  To use this method, follow the directions here, and send a private message to Felix Softpaw requesting membership in the Mobile Users membergroup.

I hope you all enjoy this new feature, I've been testing it at Lupinia for months to make sure I had the kinks worked out.  If you have any issues, if you want to request a larger quota, or if you have any other feedback on this addition to the site, please let me know!
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Commander A

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Örülök, hogy megismerhetem
Re: New Feature: Gallery!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 08:49:13 am »
Interesting. And a coincidence. Just as soon as EF gets a gallery like that FT here gets one XD Anyway really nice options on ways to upload though. A lot more then whats on EF. Just browse and upload from your pc XD

Offline Flarecat

• The cat who could code
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 25
  • Contrary to popular views, the 'net is for cats
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 11:06:39 pm »
Is it? Can it be cat macro tiem now plz? Lulz!

Offline Commander A

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Örülök, hogy megismerhetem
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 01:25:16 pm »
I only have a quick question or really something of the sort about this...for uploading mature stuff to it...that means anyone that looks in the gallery can see it thats not allowed or shouldn't be seeing it will be able to see it. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the adult art forum and the permission masks set in place there and all when they can just see it in there....any way around this felix? ^^;;;
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 01:31:41 pm by Commander A »

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 04:00:18 pm »
By default, everything uploaded to the gallery is publicly viewable, except for a few top-level albums.  You can manually set permissions on items you own, to make your entire album or just selected items viewable only to registered users, or to those who can view the Adult forums.  Keep in mind that this would only apply to those who have properly transferred their credentials using the steps outlined above.

Unfortunately, the steps to do this are very vague in the system's documentation, so I'll write my own documentation.

1.  View the contents of your album, or the individual item to be changed
2.  On the left side of the page, click Edit Permissions
3.  From here, you can add or remove permissions by group.  The permission you want to use is "[core] View All Versions".  Simply remove this permission from the list (it's pretty self-explanatory how to do this) to start the process.  To make the album or item viewable only to yourself (and site admins, can't hide anything from them), don't do any further steps.
4.  Toward the bottom of the page, there is a section labeled New Group Permission.  It should already be filled out with the previously-set permission.  Replace the group name in the box with one of the following, depending on what you want to set it to:

Everybody - Anonymous and registered users, anyone who's not IP-banned
Registered Users - Any logged-in user
Legal - Members who can view the Adult forums
Staff - Site moderators, admins, and Gallery Managers

There are other groups, but they aren't meant to be used for permissions and should be ignored if they come up in the auto-fill box. 

5.  Click the Add Permission button to add this to the list

You can alter other permissions as well, if you wish to disallow comments, or ratings, or whatever.  If you have any questions about specific permissions, let me know, or post about them here.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 05:40:21 pm by Felix Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3