Author Topic: AAA - Ask an Admin Anything (About the Site)  (Read 10214 times)

Offline lion dude

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 30
    • cheeki breeki
Re: AAA - Ask an Admin Anything (About the Site)
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2016, 05:42:42 pm »
Question: why do people say that FT is badly run? In my eyes it's perfect, maybe the people who troll/bully/flame are spreading rumors, I don't know. I was just wondering this for a while now

eh can't talk about it here cause not allowed to mention names but you can always message them to ask. They're not against talking about it and don't really care if their names are mentioned so it's not really public shaming

After hearing from so many former members I think I can say that a lot of bannings were completely biased and unfair. I'm ashamed at how this site is being dictated
I've heard a lot of what users have said about this, how unfair it is, etc. etc., but I fail to see how it's unfair. None of the users have really explained that (at least from what I've seen). If the group of users that were banned were trolling, bullying, causing flame war, and just being toxic in general, then yes, they should have been banned. Especially since they knew what they were doing. The staff even said that banning was a last resort and that they try to avoid it at all costs (if I remember correctly), so when people say that they were too quick to ban people, that just leaves me scratching my head.

Maybe someone can help me understand. I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just genuinely curious. If you want to, PM me to avoid being off-topic.
As for this:
See the thing about that is that words can easily be twisted and manipulated to make someone look like a bully and/or the bully to look like the victim. When it comes to a group of people and only a few are listened to, and those two being friends of authorities they'll have a higher chance of being listened to where as the others won't or in some cases not even sheet chance to. From what I read and saw, details were left out making people look like bullies instead of regular people.

Let's look at it this way: your friend is insulting a person that they say is mean to them, would you believe your friend without asking the person being insulted if it is true? Would you even believe the person if they say so? Details are an important part for anything. If a man were to be attacked and they fought back, would you imprison him for assault or see it as self defense? Just as the justice system has trials to define who is and who isn't guilty this site should too. Because thinking in the way of "if they're being bad than they need to be punished" is what causes problems because in the eyes of others, you might be doing something bad that deserves punishment too. And when things like that happen you want to defend yourself, yes? But when judgment has already been placed your defense is pointless because others have already decided that you're guilty without hearing from you and instead hearing from the words of others who want you to be in trouble for no reason.

Now tell me, does that seem fair? Details are key to everything but when you choose to ignore them and listen only to people you know, than others are going to suffer. Especially when their minds are clouded with what they think is right, when it's actually very wrong. In everyone's minds they think their right.
For example: Donald trump and Hillary Clinton. Trump thinks he's right for wanting to kick Muslims and Mexicans out of the US, Hillary thinks she's right for sending emails on an account that shouldn't have had them sent on. Now let's take this a step farther, Hitler thought his thinking was the right choice of actions and caused genocide.

My point with all of this is that someone decided they didn't like other people and that they were bad, so those people are punished unfairly because nobody gave them a chance and told lies about them. In every case possible, 9/11, Boston, NC, and everything going on in the middle east, nobody listened to the other side and acted only on what they heard from those they trust. (Also how racism works too, there are many examples as to why that way of thinking is toxic but these were what i figured best examples even if they were extremes) sorry if this was long winded but it's the best way I can explain it

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:46:14 pm by LucidLionVHS »
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Spikes

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2016, 12:24:53 am »
Skype - gage.f1
Email - tinybabyhooves@gmail.com

Since Lance and Panda have already posted their contact details, here's mine.

It's hard to believe this issue is being raised months after the bans. We've explained many times that we weren't given much choice. It was either ban a small group of people for serious offenses that we became well aware of, or let the atmosphere on the forum continue to degrade until the site's founder herself refused to pay to maintain the site. We didn't want the site to taken down for everybody that legitimately appreciates the site just because a small group of people refused to stop arguing and acting nasty. We've listened to every complaint by all parties involved. In fact, we - especially Lance and Panda - have still been responding to questions issued to us and we have discussed unbanning individuals. It's not like anybody has been ignored or that we banned people just because we had a grudge against them or whatever.

Now tell me, does that seem fair? Details are key to everything but when you choose to ignore them and listen only to people you know, than others are going to suffer. Especially when their minds are clouded with what they think is right, when it's actually very wrong. In everyone's minds they think their right.
For example: Donald trump and Hillary Clinton. Trump thinks he's right for wanting to kick Muslims and Mexicans out of the US, Hillary thinks she's right for sending emails on an account that shouldn't have had them sent on. Now let's take this a step farther, Hitler thought his thinking was the right choice of actions and caused genocide.
I also find these comparisons to be extremely ridiculous. And the fact that this thread has descended into Godwin's Law is really disappointing. First thing, the people that were banned weren't specifically a disenfranchised group of people like Jews and Muslims, nor are the forum's staff Nazis. The situation hasn't been as simple as "us vs. them" as some people think. We're not a clique; we just perform a service for the site. Although I can't mention specific individuals, we've had to ban staff members as well. And I was nearly banned myself two years ago for similarly toxic behaviour. I don't understand why people think we put the staff before everyone else, when the truth is that we as the staff are put under much more scrutiny than the average member.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:40:43 am by TinyBabyHooves »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline lion dude

• Yellow Level
    • cheeki breeki
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2016, 01:42:13 am »
-snip-
So if you were forgiven for your behaviors, then why can't you do the same for them?
The issued WAS raised as soon as the bans had happened, however it wasn't until now that they all got a way to contact you all and even now I hear they they haven't gotten any replies. If you all were forgiven for your actions then why shouldn't they be? They weren't given a chance to explain it was only a "gtfo and never come back" the issue that's arising now is because we're all finding out that some of our friends were put up against a wall with no way to defend themselves, and staff sweeping it under the rug saying they know what happened. How can you know what happened when there are details left out that you refuse to hear or acknowledge, one of them has said they've been waiting for a reply for over a week or two now. I saw the screenshots of the conversation and there wasn't any "blackmail" in it like you all said there was.

What about back in march and April when there were homophobes running around insulting everyone making things a horrible place, they were given warnings more than once and even a temporary ban. Why did they get a special treatment and the others didn't? I assume "rules have changed since then" will be an excuse but its not a good one. You make mistakes, they make mistakes. You're forgiven but they aren't and are now ignored, how's that fair? I'm aware of the circumstances of their bannings but however I believe you all were way too quick to judge and were acting without thinking and out of fear thus clouding your judgment and visions. That "Save the site" thing sure as hell caused a lot of people to change and pretend to be different along with cause stress on you all, but come on! You said you did similar toxicity and were forgiven yet refuse to do so for them let alone spend any time on them? I'm sorry but in my mind that's just wrong. I don't mean for this to come off as mean, I just see how much this has hurt Nightingale and you all acting like it's nothing is really pissing me off, especially after hearing this.
Spikes

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2016, 02:43:54 am »
-snip-
So if you were forgiven for your behaviors, then why can't you do the same for them?
The issued WAS raised as soon as the bans had happened, however it wasn't until now that they all got a way to contact you all and even now I hear they they haven't gotten any replies. If you all were forgiven for your actions then why shouldn't they be? They weren't given a chance to explain it was only a "gtfo and never come back" the issue that's arising now is because we're all finding out that some of our friends were put up against a wall with no way to defend themselves, and staff sweeping it under the rug saying they know what happened. How can you know what happened when there are details left out that you refuse to hear or acknowledge, one of them has said they've been waiting for a reply for over a week or two now. I saw the screenshots of the conversation and there wasn't any "blackmail" in it like you all said there was.

What about back in march and April when there were homophobes running around insulting everyone making things a horrible place, they were given warnings more than once and even a temporary ban. Why did they get a special treatment and the others didn't? I assume "rules have changed since then" will be an excuse but its not a good one. You make mistakes, they make mistakes. You're forgiven but they aren't and are now ignored, how's that fair? I'm aware of the circumstances of their bannings but however I believe you all were way too quick to judge and were acting without thinking and out of fear thus clouding your judgment and visions. That "Save the site" thing sure as hell caused a lot of people to change and pretend to be different along with cause stress on you all, but come on! You said you did similar toxicity and were forgiven yet refuse to do so for them let alone spend any time on them? I'm sorry but in my mind that's just wrong. I don't mean for this to come off as mean, I just see how much this has hurt Nightingale and you all acting like it's nothing is really pissing me off, especially after hearing this.
The thing is that I promptly stopped when I had to and didn't carry it on for months or years. And it only really concerned excessive negativity off-site behaviour in a private Skype group that didn't largely impact the forum or put the immediate safety of members in jeopardy. Besides, it was a problem with the way the staff was ran as whole, not just me. I only cited myself as a specific example. I'm not proud of the way I acted. In fact, I'm still downright ashamed. I think that goes for everyone else involved. But we did amend the problems we were facing together. The group of members in question have been given plenty of chances and the atmosphere of the forum continued to decline. Right to the point were it was decided that enough was enough. We no longer wanted to see members harassed or picked on. Honestly, no member deserves to be picked on or targeted.

We have already messaged various members about their complaints and we're still continuing to do so in an ongoing process. And yes, the rules have changed. We now swiftly ban bigoted members after a single warning. We changed that policy months ago prior to the bans so I think bringing it up now is irrelevant to these bans. The staff have made mistakes and bad decisions which we've owned up to in the past and apologized for. Moderating the site can be very hard at times. But most of the homophobic, racist and transphobic members which people complained about have been banned now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:03:56 pm by TinyBabyHooves »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Big Boss

• This fire inside me won't burn out again!
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 71
  • Big. Bloody. Boss
  • Fursona Species: Big Boss
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2016, 07:51:56 pm »
Question: why do people say that FT is badly run? In my eyes it's perfect, maybe the people who troll/bully/flame are spreading rumors, I don't know. I was just wondering this for a while now
Agreed, every site has problems. So people shouldn't get mad and start blaming staff just for not being perfect. o_O Even though this has it's own ups and downs (just like every other site out there), I absolutely love this site and the people on it. :3 I am glad I joined.
FT so far has been one of the better run forums I've seen and I've seen a lot.
I think I can maybe answer the question too because I was on a forum during a huge influx of foul as hell people and the mods there were all about outing the people who were doing it (THey even created a topic where banned users could discuss their bans, so their accounts weren't completely disabled) And I can tell you now, forum goers don't like having their fun interrupted and if they're popular enough they may use the fact more users know them as a friend than the staff to act innocent and add a black mark to the staffs rep (Which is what happened, keep in mind this is just me doing some conjecture stuff and I don't actually know what sort of people were banned so maybe I'm wrong?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:58:40 pm by Northpaw »
  • Flag - australia
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pride Flag - pansexual

Offline lion dude

• Yellow Level
    • cheeki breeki
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:04 pm »
I think I can maybe answer the question too because I was on a forum during a huge influx of foul as hell people and the mods there were all about outing the people who were doing it (THey even created a topic where banned users could discuss their bans, so their accounts weren't completely disabled) And I can tell you now, forum goers don't like having their fun interrupted and if they're popular enough they may use the fact more users know them as a friend than the staff to act innocent and add a black mark to the staffs rep (Which is what happened, keep in mind this is just me doing some conjecture stuff and I don't actually know what sort of people were banned so maybe I'm wrong?

I don't think it's really obvious unless you've been a member for a while. It's why there's very few long term members active anymore and talking to older members that aren't banned a lot of them will say similar things it's just not obvious.

Personally seeing the messages and chat logs sent between the members and staff, that's not what happened. There have been a lot of assumptions made and while communication exists now, it is not very active. Of course since they're all banned they can't even defend themselves but they are always open to messages to discuss it. Many long term members were banned, some that had been in trouble before but others that had never even once gotten a warning for bullying.
Spikes

Offline Shia

• Christmas Cutie
  • Cookies: 278
    • DeviantArt - rroad
    • FurAffinity - discomanokit
    • Twitter - discomanokit
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2016, 08:34:01 pm »

I don't think it's really obvious unless you've been a member for a while. It's why there's very few long term members active anymore and talking to older members that aren't banned a lot of them will say similar things it's just not obvious.

Personally seeing the messages and chat logs sent between the members and staff, that's not what happened. There have been a lot of assumptions made and while communication exists now, it is not very active. Of course since they're all banned they can't even defend themselves but they are always open to messages to discuss it. Many long term members were banned, some that had been in trouble before but others that had never even once gotten a warning for bullying.

But if they were causing strife in the forums, they well knew the risk of disciplinary action and the consequences like being banned... right?

Also, if they've been on the forum for a while, wouldn't they try to make it a positive place and not tear it down?

I'm so confused...
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
If you need anything, just ask me! My inbox is always open and I’m more than happy to help.
Avatar by Kipekee and sig emote by Avery

Offline lion dude

• Yellow Level
    • cheeki breeki
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2016, 08:38:20 pm »
But if they were causing strife in the forums, they well knew the risk of disciplinary action and the consequences like being banned... right?

Also, if they've been on the forum for a while, wouldn't they try to make it a positive place and not tear it down?

I'm so confused...

Well that's assuming they were trying to tear the site down, which they weren't. I know quite a few of them really liked this site and got in trouble for off-site stuff, don't believe anything you hear. Try asking one of them they'll probably send you screens or explain better than I can I don't wanna get in trouble for name dropping.
Spikes

Offline rejackdawolf

• mean heart
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • cold heart
    • Twitter - rejackdawolf
  • Fursona Species: wolf
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2016, 01:15:56 am »
Hey! I got a question! Am I allowed to state my age on the forums? For example: in my personal description of my profile, or saying it in topics.

Thanks!  :D

Offline Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 831
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2016, 08:53:59 am »
Hey! I got a question! Am I allowed to state my age on the forums? For example: in my personal description of my profile, or saying it in topics.

Thanks!  :D

Yes you may as long as you're ok with other users (and possible guests) seeing it! c:
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline LANCIFROST

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 103
  • A' suh dudes!
    • DeviantArt - Spartan329
    • FurAffinity - LanceThyla
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
  • Fursona Species: Thylacine
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2016, 04:00:41 pm »
Okay, sorry for not responding for a while. I'm going to really try and catch up on this thread today.

But first, let me emphasize something. Just because a member was banned, doesn't make them a bad person. They may have just made a mistake that was a bit larger than most. Every single ban in recent memory, I honestly believe was to people who are good people who were just a bit overzealous, or may have just been going about good things in a less than optimal way.

Lucid, I would like to ask you something. You keep saying that these bannings were "biased." May I ask, why do you feel like that and can you give us examples of this happening? Feel free to message me directly with any specifics. For this and only this specific instance, name dropping will be okay, because I think it will really help me figure out the reason for this feeling.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual

Offline Raccoaster

• A second-hand goods enthusiast
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 72
  • Raccoaster is kill
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2016, 11:35:04 pm »
What would happen if I tried to report myself?
Coaster element of the forever :p

Skyrush's stengel dive! The most intense element I have ever experienced that combines unbelievable laterals with thigh crushing airtime. Insane is an understatement.
RIDE POV LINK(Element at 0:41)

Offline LANCIFROST

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • A' suh dudes!
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2016, 01:25:40 am »
How do you mean? Like reporting your own post or reporting yourself for something like a confession?
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual

Offline Raccoaster

• A second-hand goods enthusiast
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 72
  • Raccoaster is kill
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2016, 11:01:40 pm »
Reporting your own post. Saw I could do it the other day and was like "why would anyone need this". Idk I have a strange curiosity :p
Coaster element of the forever :p

Skyrush's stengel dive! The most intense element I have ever experienced that combines unbelievable laterals with thigh crushing airtime. Insane is an understatement.
RIDE POV LINK(Element at 0:41)

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 594
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2016, 11:15:35 pm »
Reporting your own post. Saw I could do it the other day and was like "why would anyone need this". Idk I have a strange curiosity :p

It still goes through the system like normal :fox-:P: mainly people use it for double posts, or when someone comes back after years and wants personal info deleted
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline rejackdawolf

• mean heart
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • cold heart
    • Twitter - rejackdawolf
  • Fursona Species: wolf
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2016, 01:38:25 am »
Rules on using cuss words?

Offline LANCIFROST

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • A' suh dudes!
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2016, 01:12:41 pm »
We'd prefer it to be kept to minimal. However we also realize that they slip out here and there.

PG-13 rule is what really governs on this.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual

Offline Aoki

• Snow Enthusiast
  • Forum Elder
  • Cookies: 752
  • Merry Chrysler
  • Fursona Species: Batroo (bat + kangaroo)
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2016, 02:36:13 pm »
In the future will there be a place on our profiles to put our tumblr name on?
I'm always active there and Id love to have a little area for that
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline LANCIFROST

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • A' suh dudes!
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2016, 07:28:47 pm »
That's a possibility. It all depends on if there's a high enough demand for it.

That's actually how the move to get the Weasyl field implemented.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2016, 10:02:56 pm »
That's a possibility. It all depends on if there's a high enough demand for it.

That's actually how the move to get the Weasyl field implemented.

I know at least a few people have expressed interest in this on past threads.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now