Author Topic: Animated icon help  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Shia

• Disco Manokits
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 260
  • Ready to Spook
    • DeviantArt - discomanokit
    • FurAffinity - discomanokit
    • Twitter - discomanokit
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
Re: Animated icon help
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 10:15:51 am »
Can one of the staff members please help me with getting this animated picture to work on my profile pic? :0
You should just be able to save it to your computer and upload it as your avatar, I think. But if that doesn't work, perhaps check the file type? Not sure if that would make a difference.

Also, are you on a phone or computer? I do know that when you save a GIF on to a phone, the animation no longer works.

I'm on a computer right now, I saved the file to my computer and uploaded, but for some reason it didn't work, probably because of multiple parts being animated hmmm
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
Deviantart // Let's Talk! // Main Toyhouse // Alt Toyhouse
avatar by cutgut, colored by Graham

Offline Alastair

• You're here today, no future fears...
  • Candies: 153
  • ...this day will last a thousand years.
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 10:16:38 am »
Can one of the staff members please help me with getting this animated picture to work on my profile pic? :0
You should just be able to save it to your computer and upload it as your avatar, I think. But if that doesn't work, perhaps check the file type? Not sure if that would make a difference.

Also, are you on a phone or computer? I do know that when you save a GIF on to a phone, the animation no longer works.

I'm on a computer right now, I saved the file to my computer and uploaded, but for some reason it didn't work, probably because of multiple parts being animated hmmm
What type of file is it?

I don't know too much about this kind of thing, so sorry if I'm not much help. :fox-:P:
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt gold

Avatar by cutefury on Art Fight.Signature image by Nagi.

Offline Shia

• Disco Manokits
  • Purple Level
  • Ready to Spook
    • Twitter - discomanokit
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 10:17:26 am »

What type of file is it?

I don't know too much about this kind of thing, so sorry if I'm not much help. :fox-:P:

It's ok! I appreciate the help!

It's a .gif btw ^^
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 12:51:42 pm »
Most likely it's an issue with the file size. Gifs can get really weird with how they determine the size, everything from the number of colors used to the number of frames and how quickly they animate, etc.

If you have photoshop, I'd recommend opening the file there and making sure you're only using the colors you need. From the looks of your image, it's only using 4 or 5 colors. Gifs by default save in a 256 color space - way more than you need and is taking up a lot of empty file space. I'm out of town for the day, but when I get back I'll see what I can do with it to shrink it down some.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Shia

• Disco Manokits
  • Purple Level
  • Ready to Spook
    • Twitter - discomanokit
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 08:12:09 pm »
Most likely it's an issue with the file size. Gifs can get really weird with how they determine the size, everything from the number of colors used to the number of frames and how quickly they animate, etc.

If you have photoshop, I'd recommend opening the file there and making sure you're only using the colors you need. From the looks of your image, it's only using 4 or 5 colors. Gifs by default save in a 256 color space - way more than you need and is taking up a lot of empty file space. I'm out of town for the day, but when I get back I'll see what I can do with it to shrink it down some.

Thank you so much for the advice!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 01:02:36 am »
Okay, so here's the original:

It's 37.81 kb, has 34 colors, dithering on, transparency on, and 8 animation frames.

And here's the downsized version, plus link: http://i.imgur.com/daPrZlG.gif

It's only 17.85 kb, with 10 colors, no dithering, transparency on, and only 4 animation frames. (It was the same 4 frames repeated twice - cutting that down cut the size in half)

Hopefully it's small enough to work! If not, I think an admin can put it in manually, or if you want to make it even smaller, you'll have to actually lower the resolution itself. If you do that, since it's pixel art, make sure the downsampling is set to nearest neighbor, not bicubic. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:22:02 am by Kambo »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Shia

• Disco Manokits
  • Purple Level
  • Ready to Spook
    • Twitter - discomanokit
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 09:04:36 am »
Okay, so here's the original:

It's 37.81 kb, has 34 colors, dithering on, transparency on, and 8 animation frames.

And here's the downsized version, plus link: http://i.imgur.com/daPrZlG.gif

It's only 17.85 kb, with 10 colors, no dithering, transparency on, and only 4 animation frames. (It was the same 4 frames repeated twice - cutting that down cut the size in half)

Hopefully it's small enough to work! If not, I think an admin can put it in manually, or if you want to make it even smaller, you'll have to actually lower the resolution itself. If you do that, since it's pixel art, make sure the downsampling is set to nearest neighbor, not bicubic. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Thank you so much for the help! It means a lot ^^ I'll definitely try these as soon as I get home!

--
Update: I ended up trying the new one, but the file size was still too big :c thanks for the help tho! I appreciate it!

Could one of the staff members please put it up manually, if that's alright?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 05:20:10 pm by Shia »
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual