Author Topic: Small question about PM's  (Read 571 times)

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
Small question about PM's
« on: March 21, 2016, 06:46:39 pm »
So I am really weary of surpassing my PM limit, and I have read the policies over and over again, yet I still don't exactly know how the PM system works. When they say 60 messages within 30 days, do they just mean a constant 30 day period where for every next day, the PM's from the first of the 30 days is nullified? Or, is it done in increments, where the PM limit is reset every 30 days, and how would one know what part of the 30 days are they in? Or is done by the weekly checks, where every week, the previous week's PM's are null? I jsut need to know exactly how to gauge my PM rates.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 585
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
Re: Small question about PM's
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 09:11:00 am »
Full PM bans aren't done automatically, they're done by admins. We have a script that we run monthly that tells us who's been over 60 PMs in the past 30 days (that's all we can see, the numbers, NOT content of PMs or anything else). If you're over, you'll get a Warning through the system, and if your numbers don't go down after that, then you'll be banned. The only time we slap on bans without a Warning is when someone is grossly overusing it (like 100+ messages).
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - androsexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Blue Level
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 02:48:58 pm »
Full PM bans aren't done automatically, they're done by admins. We have a script that we run monthly that tells us who's been over 60 PMs in the past 30 days (that's all we can see, the numbers, NOT content of PMs or anything else). If you're over, you'll get a Warning through the system, and if your numbers don't go down after that, then you'll be banned. The only time we slap on bans without a Warning is when someone is grossly overusing it (like 100+ messages).

Yeah, but what counts as 30 days? Is it just one chunk of 30 days at a time, or does the area of time for 30 days move every day? So saying I made six messages on January 1, would that mean I would have six more messages on January 31, or would I have sixty? Plus, with some February having less than thirty days, how would you know at what point you have your message limit reset?
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 585
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 05:35:46 pm »
I suppose a better guideline is "every month". We admittedly have missed the last couple of months, but when we start again it'll be either the end of each month or the beginning. I'm sorry I dont have an exact date for you--its never been an issue, and if you're that worried about an extra day or two, you probably should slow down with PMs anyways
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - androsexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 05:50:22 pm »

Yeah, but what counts as 30 days? Is it just one chunk of 30 days at a time, or does the area of time for 30 days move every day? So saying I made six messages on January 1, would that mean I would have six more messages on January 31, or would I have sixty? Plus, with some February having less than thirty days, how would you know at what point you have your message limit reset?

I wrote the admin script used to check this:  "30 days" means "30 days".  Specifically, current timestamp minus thirty days, down to the second.  The script doesn't know or care about how many days are in a particular month, nor does it really "reset".
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Blue Level
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 06:46:38 pm »
So wait, if I'm correct, that means that no more than 60 messages in a 30 day period?